Pertussis with vomiting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are dealing with pertussis right now and it really sucks.
Ds (10) was vaxed and is not having any symptoms except for a slight cough a few times during the day. Same with me, just a slight cough now and then. My youngest (18 mo) had the classic whoop and is just now recovering, he only coughs a few times a day and seems fine otherwise. His coughing spell lasts only a few seconds.

The problem we are having is with Dd (4). She vomits *every* time she coughs. I have been giving everyone sodium ascorbate, but she is vomiting it up an hour or two, sometimes 5 minutes after taking it! I don't associate the throwing up to the SA, as she will vomit with or without it...

What do I do?! I'm afraid she'll lose weight. We are watching her closely for dehydration, but so far she hasn't been dehydrated. We actually took her to the Dr. last week and she was diagnosed with parapertussis... of course without any test. They assumed we vaxed (our regular Dr. wasn't in, so we saw someone else in the practice who assumed we vaxed). I'm not sure if we all have/had parapertussis or pertussis. It sure is taking it's toll, whichever it is!

*edited to add that oldest Ds is the only vaxed one in the home... except what Dh and I got as children.
#2 of 4 Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Vomiting is very typical. It's important to keep her hydrated first. I've been mixing ds's SA into a very small amount of apple juice and giving it to him via syringe feeding (he's 17mo old though.) I've been able to get 1000mg down him each time (in about 1oz of juice.) Have you tried mixing it in a small amount of water or juice like that?
She will likely loose weight if she isn't able to keep foods down very well, but keep trying. Try broth, calming teas, no milk or dairy.
GL! we're dealing with this too.

Steph, wife to C, mama to O :, E , and I :.
#3 of 4 Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 PM

if you have homeopathic ipecac it worked wonders for us when we were dealing with it. Actually, many find it helpful with pertussis. Good luck!
#4 of 4 Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 AM

s Mama. We recently finished pertussis with my DD who is almost 3. She also did the vomiting, and it is so very stressful! That part lasted about two weeks... For us, I used a vaporizer in the room which seemed to help, lots of SA (1/4tsp 3x/day;1/2 tsp right before bedtime), and only really easily digestible foods like fruit and vegetable juices in small quantities at a time (plus breastfeeding).
Kept a few towels near the bed and she was in bed with us of course- when the coughing fit started I would just sit her upright and let it come out in the towel...toss, a little water in a straw cup, and you are ready for the next one without disturbing both your sleep too much.

Hang in there...the first two weeks were bad but the rest were very manageable!

fambedsingle2.gifAP Mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 7/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page