Q for Hashis and Gluten free ladies - antibody levels - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
mkf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,
I have Hashimotos, diagnosed about 3 years ago. My TSH levels weren't horrible, about 5, and since being medicated they're down to between 1 -2 which is where I need them as I'm trying to conceive. We have been dealing with infertility for about 4 years now.
I just went Gluten free about 7 weeks ago and feel pretty good for it. I was hoping it would help my hashis.

I got my blood tests done this week and my TSH was up from 1.4 in June to 2.2 now! My Antibodies had gone from 90 to 144 in just a few weeks as well!!!

Has anyone else seen their thyroid levels get worse on gluten free? Also, how long did it take for your ATA's and TSH to come down?

TIA!
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have a specific answer to your question, I just wanted to see if you'd read the study about selenium and thyroid antibodies. They used 200 mcg per day and saw a significant decrease in antibody levels. And it's possible (though I'm not sure how probable) that you could've changed your dietary intake of selenium by eliminating wheat, since some areas of the country have generally low amounts of selenium in the soil BUT some wheat-growing areas are quite high--so not everyone would be in this situation, but some may be.

But if you take a multi with a hefty amount of selenium then that makes that a lot less likely as to what's going on.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 PM

i have hashis....went gluent free in april....reduced synthroid in july and again this week b/c my tsh is so low. dr thinks there is a link. have to ask about antibody levels though.

are you under stress? i know that can make your antibodies skyrocket.

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Old 09-18-2010, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
I don't have a specific answer to your question, I just wanted to see if you'd read the study about selenium and thyroid antibodies. They used 200 mcg per day and saw a significant decrease in antibody levels. And it's possible (though I'm not sure how probable) that you could've changed your dietary intake of selenium by eliminating wheat, since some areas of the country have generally low amounts of selenium in the soil BUT some wheat-growing areas are quite high--so not everyone would be in this situation, but some may be.

But if you take a multi with a hefty amount of selenium then that makes that a lot less likely as to what's going on.
That was my first thought too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafwood View Post
i have hashis....went gluent free in april....reduced synthroid in july and again this week b/c my tsh is so low. dr thinks there is a link. have to ask about antibody levels though.

are you under stress? i know that can make your antibodies skyrocket.
There is a link between going gluten free and reducing thyroid therapy.

OP, I was gluten free for 3 months before I had my antibodies tested the first time. I have seen little to no change in ATAs between then and now (not gluten free )- both results are in the thousands.
It is also possible that going gluten free simply coincided with having a Hashi's "flare", where the body produces more antibodies resulting in further destruction of the thyroid and an increase in TSH.
Have you changed anything else in that time at all? Did you stop using iodized salt or add a supplement which includes iodine? Did your B6 intake increase or decrease? There a million discrepencies which COULD have had an impact on thyroid levels.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
Old 09-18-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
mkf

Thanks Ladies,

Yes - there are a tonne of things that could have contributed.

1. We're doing another round of clomid/ FSH/IUI fertility treatments to try to get pregnant before moving onto IVF in November. That SHOULD be a stressful time, but to be honest, I'm actually feeling LESS stressed than I have in at least a year. We took a few months off treatments, had a fabulous vacation and I'm feeling great - both mentally and physically. With all we've been thru in the last few years and my TSH has remained constant, and now that I'm feeling good - its gone up! grrr...

2. Vitamins - I've been much more consistent in my vitamin intake to try to get my body as healthy as possible for possible IVF. My pre-natal has 200mg of Selenium, so got that covered. I did just change to this pre-natal about a month ago and have noticed it has 150mg of Iodine in it - my old one had 75mg, and it has 1000mg Calcium - my old had 125mg. The other thing I have been doing is I increased my Vitamin D intake over the last month to combat the foggy awful weather we have at this time of year (yes - I know, its SUPPOSED to be summer - but that doesn't happen where I live!!)
I've read some stuff that says Vit D can actually have a NEGATIVE effect on some people, so I'm reducing that down again as of today. This new multivit also has much LESS B6 in it. Is that an issue??

3. Fertility drugs - I'm wondering if the fact that i'm in the middle of a fertility drug cycle is affecting me. I guess most of of my bloodtests have been done in non-treatment cycles, or after some incident such as pregnancy / miscarriage.

So here's my plan - would like your thoughts:
Dr has upped me from 75mg to 88mg
I'm going to stay gluten free
I'm removing additional Vitamin D
Will start taking my multivits at least 4 hrs from my thyroid - I've only been waiting 1 hour.

Cheers
Maria
Old 09-19-2010, 01:32 AM

B6 and thyroid.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010

User Tag List