Low Thyroid Symptoms but "Normal" Blood Tests - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Part way through the Dr. K book, liking that a LOT more than the Starr book. Plus I already have a drawer full of a lot of the herbs he likes . He has great info and references on herb function, way clearer than Yasko ever lays it out.

I think we may be dealing with Hashi's here. I took thyroid glandular for 5 days and got hot flashes. And I have three sibs with autoimmune arthritis issues - we have big autoimmune issues all over the family. My sister with JRA always had freezing cold hands and feet, my other sister had 3 babes over 10lbs (last one 13lbs) and gained 90lbs with her last pg (she only weighs 110lbs). So I may just be the one who had no visible autoimmune issues for the longest. I didn't notice any change from adding gluten back in for me after 8mo gluten free, but I wasn't paying attention to cold feet.

I think Vitamin D deficiency also plays - correlated tightly with autoimmune issues, we have both vdr-taq and vdr-fok mutations (impact vitamin D receptors), and heck, I grew up in Canada as a kid who sunburned easily.

So I am going to order thyroid tests for DH and I from directlabs. Looks like I need to piece together several tests to get the right markers. Is this a complete list of what I need to know?

- TPO antibodies
- TSH
- free T3 & T4
- reverse T3

I'm also going to check our vitamin D levels.

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#62 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
... I just want to point out that a) alpha lipoic acid mobilizes several heavy metals quite a bit, and b) 600 mg is a LOT of ALA. It would incapacitate me and I've done a helluva lot in the past 3 years to reduce my metals. Certainly anyone nursing or pregnant or TTC should avoid it IMO. And anyone with unexplained health issues should get a good idea of root cause before taking that--cause hey, if you're reading a thread on thyroid function, I think considering heavy metal involvement would be helpful to working through a list of possible causes.

Many people, maybe most people, with mercury issues have thyroid problems (thank you, amalgam fillings). This doesn't imply that most people with thyroid problems have mercury issues but it's something to consider as part of the search for root cause.
I wonder if it's the detox abilities that helps with the mitochondria? Maybe that's why the list is so heavy on the detox stuff?

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#63 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 02:52 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I had normal tests last year. I've gained about sixty pounds in the past few years, very tired, no allergies that I know of. We tried gfcf diet for a while for my daughter with autism, no changes that I could see. Before going to the doctor, I tried supplementing iodine and got this painful pulsing around the thyroid - so i'm afraid to try that again. I'm taking B complex and selenium and zinc. I think they may be helping some.

I have mucin arms but haven't checked temps through the day.
#64 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 03:20 PM

lol, Deb, yup, Dr K thinks everyone has Hashi's. It does sound reasonable for your history, though. Is there such thing as mild hashi's? Cause just looking at cold hands and feet, it doesn't sound like you have much in the way of symptoms! If I were to comment on those lab tests, I'd have to look at Dr K first, and you have that one there Aren't there two different antibody tests to look at, though?

--------------------

And another question to ponder.

Who is a prime candidate for thyroid hormone therapy? Which kids? How can you tell? Who is it *necessary* for?

I'm wondering, with my mom's clear thyroid symptoms, and my issues from the get go, I'm assuming my thyroid receptors have not been happily triggered my entire life. If mom's thyroid status affect's baby's thyroid development, then is it safe to assume my thyroid is underdeveloped? As is dd's?
http://72.148.194.153/research/burro...al_thyroid.pdf

Though, if blood tests are normal, then the hormone levels are fine and it's a different issue. But I wonder, if supporting everything else, if the thyroid then wouldn't be able to keep up with the actual real demand of a healthy body, and *that's* when extra hormones are necessary? And how do you find that point? Would labs show low values then? Forgetting the logistics of getting the right hormones, would it make more sense to start high, then drop the dose as you get proper support in place, or to try and maximize your own production and then do hormones for that last little bit?

#65 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 04:03 PM

Evidence of thyroxine formation following iodine administration in Sprague-Dawley rats

This is from vitaminK, a couple years ago. They're saying that iodine (as opposed to iodide) hangs out in the gut, and that it can convert T3 (and T2) back to T4. So that's another possible mechanism for high T4/low T3. They were noticing a difference with the different forms with the kids on the vitK protocol.

For myself, first trimester, I noticed significant improvement on iodide, and nothing from equivalent/higher doses of lugol's. Unless my lugol's has just lost that much potency (anything's possible!), it sounds like something like this is happening for me. I wonder if gut healing/rebalancing would fix the issue? Or maybe that's part of why people use such crazy high doses of lugol's/iodoral?

And another thing from back in the days on the vit K list... when kids don't tolerate iodine, they say to start super slow and work up. Like almost homeopathic slow, and work up from there.

#66 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
lol, Deb, yup, Dr K thinks everyone has Hashi's. It does sound reasonable for your history, though. Is there such thing as mild hashi's? Cause just looking at cold hands and feet, it doesn't sound like you have much in the way of symptoms! If I were to comment on those lab tests, I'd have to look at Dr K first, and you have that one there Aren't there two different antibody tests to look at, though?

--------------------

And another question to ponder.

Who is a prime candidate for thyroid hormone therapy? Which kids? How can you tell? Who is it *necessary* for?

I'm wondering, with my mom's clear thyroid symptoms, and my issues from the get go, I'm assuming my thyroid receptors have not been happily triggered my entire life. If mom's thyroid status affect's baby's thyroid development, then is it safe to assume my thyroid is underdeveloped? As is dd's?
http://72.148.194.153/research/burro...al_thyroid.pdf

Though, if blood tests are normal, then the hormone levels are fine and it's a different issue. But I wonder, if supporting everything else, if the thyroid then wouldn't be able to keep up with the actual real demand of a healthy body, and *that's* when extra hormones are necessary? And how do you find that point? Would labs show low values then? Forgetting the logistics of getting the right hormones, would it make more sense to start high, then drop the dose as you get proper support in place, or to try and maximize your own production and then do hormones for that last little bit?
I agree he's a little hashi's happy - but I also agree with him that it matters whether you are having thyroid autoimmune issues. I have very few symptoms - but I have a family history that SCREAMS autoimmune genetics from hell. I've always been concerned that this kind of thing could sneak up on me and do real damage before I saw real symptoms. So whatever's going on for me, I think it's early in the process - and it may just be some tired adrenals from 3 years of being up a lot with DS. Worth testing though, I think.

I like Dr K's analogy of the thyroid issues being like the check engine light coming on in your car. Yasko takes a similar approach on a lot of issues - it's better to leave the symptom alone, if it's not a big negative factor in your life - and as you address root causes, it will give you a good read on how much better you're doing. So I'm better off leaving my feet cold and trying to improve my receptors, for example - I know I've done enough when my feet warm up. My only real symptoms seem to be cold hands & feet, low basal temp (but not really low like some here), and mucin arms. None of which I need gone NOW. If I was exhausted, that would be a different thing, and I'd try the hormones to see if they were a good bandaid for me.

With kids, I feel like it's important to fix the non-hormone parts of the equation first, and only use hormones if they're actually deficient. It's clear from both Starr & Dr K that not all tissues/organs are equally thyroid hormone resistant - the brain and pituitary are the most resistant. So if you pump up the hormones enough to take care of brain/pituitary related symptoms, I'd be concerned you'd be overstimulating some other cells in the body - and in a child, that doesn't feel like the best approach.

But I also intuitively find Dr. K's approach appealing - perhaps because I've already seen the power of some carefully targeted supps to address some really major body process problems, even with weak genetics. If we can get DS methylating with all the mutations he has in his methylation pathway, it seems like we should be able to normalize his thyroid function too. I'm not opposed to some thyroid glandular as a source of building blocks, but small doses, not the therapeutic doses in thyroid meds.

Quote:
Evidence of thyroxine formation following iodine administration in Sprague-Dawley rats

This is from vitaminK, a couple years ago. They're saying that iodine (as opposed to iodide) hangs out in the gut, and that it can convert T3 (and T2) back to T4. So that's another possible mechanism for high T4/low T3. They were noticing a difference with the different forms with the kids on the vitK protocol.

For myself, first trimester, I noticed significant improvement on iodide, and nothing from equivalent/higher doses of lugol's. Unless my lugol's has just lost that much potency (anything's possible!), it sounds like something like this is happening for me. I wonder if gut healing/rebalancing would fix the issue? Or maybe that's part of why people use such crazy high doses of lugol's/iodoral?

And another thing from back in the days on the vit K list... when kids don't tolerate iodine, they say to start super slow and work up. Like almost homeopathic slow, and work up from there.
Is iodide the active form? Yasko uses the active form of lots of B vites, and they make a noticeable difference for DS, vs. the forms that are easiest to put in supps. In a fragile kid, I've learned to assume nothing converts "easily" to active form. If I can supp the active form, I do.

I've also become a non-fan of monster doses of anything for very long. Works great to address a deficiency, but after that, you're just using a battering ram on an enzyme reaction - it may work, but there's likely to be some side effects of massive doses of whatever. Better to figure out other ways to better support the reaction. This happens in the autism world with high dose B6, or methyl B12, or vitamin A, or carnitine, and then everyone is giving their kids high dose whatever.

ETA: I'm interested in the cytokines piece too - Dr K says elevated TH1 or TH2 cytokines can block thyroid receptor sites. Any autoimmune issue can cause elevated cytokines, so celiac, maybe food intolerances, whatever other random thing might be going on with my kiddo (chronic viral infection, maybe?), you'd get blocked thyroid receptors. Dr. Amy has some stuff on cytokines you work on later in her protocol, I need to go take a look at those. Seems like I may want to test DS for cytokines.

#67 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Our family is also a cesspool of autoimmune stuff. Arthritis, MS, etc. However, at the moment, I don't have antibodies, although there is suspicion that I might be come down with an autoimmune condition. So I'd really like to halt the progression of it if I can.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#68 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Carren, Dr. K says if he suspects Hashi's and doesn't see antibodies on the first test, he tests again (with a gluten provocation if someone is GF, to purposely trigger a flare).

One thing I think is fascinating - he tests to see if someone is TH1 or TH2 pathway dominant (immune responses), and then he supports the weaker pathway. Assuming TH1 dominance (true for 90% of Hashi's patients), DS is on 80% of the supps he would use - grapeseed extract, pycnogenol, etc. And for reducing general immune disorder, he suggests curcumin & pancreatic enzymes. So a lot of overlap with Dr. Amy stuff, although for different reasons. So I feel good that I have DS on stuff that should modulate his immune response, even if I put him on them largely for different reasons.

Have you had your cytokines tested, Carren? If you're "at risk" for autoimmune flareup, I'm guessing his supps to modulate immune stuff would be a great list for you to start on (they're generic, not just for Hashi's). And you can watch and retest to see if you're making progress. So instead of waiting to develop antibodies to one of your organs, you could just get your immune system into better territory. Dr. K thinks autism is an autoimmune disorder attacking your own brain , so for DS, this seems like a really important step (as does dealing with metals, viruses, etc that can trigger autoimmune issues).

Dr. K also has an interesting perspective on chelation for people who are at risk of auto-immune issues - he thinks you should deal with the immune stuff first, then the metals (if at all) - chelating could trigger an immune flare. I'm guessing low grade, well supported chelation is a lot less likely to do that, he's likely mostly seen what DAN & alternative practitioners do, which is insanely aggressive.

Oh, and went through DH's last blood test, it had most of the thyroid numbers (missing free T3). He fits two possible profiles of the 6 in Dr. K's book, and both are caused by high cortisol. We discovered he has mucin neck - thinking that might relate to his migraines!

#69 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9 View Post
Carren, Dr. K says if he suspects Hashi's and doesn't see antibodies on the first test, he tests again (with a gluten provocation if someone is GF, to purposely trigger a flare).
I've been tested twice over a period of months, however there was not purposeful gluten trigger. Not sure I want to sign up for that. And I"m not sure I could find a doctor who would go along with that. Although the rheumatologist wants to see me 6 months from my last appointment. I could just eat gluten & ask him to retest the antibodies.

One thing I think is fascinating - he tests to see if someone is TH1 or TH2 pathway dominant (immune responses), and then he supports the weaker pathway. Assuming TH1 dominance (true for 90% of Hashi's patients), DS is on 80% of the supps he would use - grapeseed extract, pycnogenol, etc. And for reducing general immune disorder, he suggests curcumin & pancreatic enzymes. So a lot of overlap with Dr. Amy stuff, although for different reasons. So I feel good that I have DS on stuff that should modulate his immune response, even if I put him on them largely for different reasons.

Have you had your cytokines tested, Carren? If you're "at risk" for autoimmune flareup, I'm guessing his supps to modulate immune stuff would be a great list for you to start on (they're generic, not just for Hashi's). And you can watch and retest to see if you're making progress. So instead of waiting to develop antibodies to one of your organs, you could just get your immune system into better territory. Dr. K thinks autism is an autoimmune disorder attacking your own brain , so for DS, this seems like a really important step (as does dealing with metals, viruses, etc that can trigger autoimmune issues).

How would I know if I had my cytokines tested? What is the test called? Is that a mainstream test or only something a functional med. doctor or md would order? The rheumatologist did a lot of tests but nothing specifically said "cytokine".

Dr. K also has an interesting perspective on chelation for people who are at risk of auto-immune issues - he thinks you should deal with the immune stuff first, then the metals (if at all) - chelating could trigger an immune flare. I'm guessing low grade, well supported chelation is a lot less likely to do that, he's likely mostly seen what DAN & alternative practitioners do, which is insanely aggressive.

Oh, and went through DH's last blood test, it had most of the thyroid numbers (missing free T3). He fits two possible profiles of the 6 in Dr. K's book, and both are caused by high cortisol. We discovered he has mucin neck - thinking that might relate to his migraines!
Interesting about dealing with immune system first. What kind of test do you need to figure out if you are T1 or T2 dominant?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#70 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Do you have Dr. K's book? I'd say the chapters on Hashi's are worth a read, particularly chapter 3. TH1 dominant is cytokines IL (interleukin)-2, IL-12, TNFa, and interferon. TH2 is IL-4, IL-13, IL-10. Any stuff like that on your tests?

Directlabs has a couple TH1/TH2 panels, but they are $200-$400. The other way Dr. K figures it out is to take the TH1 supps for 3 days, then stop and take the TH2 supps for 3 days. If you feel better on one, then you can assume the other is your dominant pathway. If you feel worse on both, that means things too (his chapter covers off the permutations).

I wouldn't do a gluten challenge to see if you have Hashi's. Dr. K's protocol for that is to treat the immune system, not the thyroid, so it doesn't really matter if you have Hashi's or not - if you have an autoimmune dysfunctional system, you'd treat it the same. So you could just do that, and assume it will help Hashi's if you have it, and help any other un-named autoimmune thing (or potential thing) too.

His basic program for autoimmune stuff:
1) address unstable blood sugar (this one I need to do) - basically, eat less sugar, eat a little protein every 2-3 hours, if you feel sleepy or crave sugar after you eat, you ate too many carbs
2) address adrenal health - still reading that chapter
3) take out gluten (required for Hashi's) and any other food intolerances
4) therapeutic levels of vitD - 5000-20,000mg. He talks about vitD receptor mutations (you have both, and are homozygous for one of them), are present in 90% of people with autoimmune issues, and they need high normal vitD blood levels at a minimum. Take along with some fish oil (EFA/DHA).
5) glutathionine cream - with your mutations, this would be fine - this along with the vitD starts to modulate the immune sytem
6) tame the dominant pathway (TH1 or TH2) by supporting other pathway:

supporting TH1 (so TH2 dominant): astragalus, echinacea, beta-glucan mushroom, glycyrrhiza, lemon balm

supporting TH2 (so TH1 dominant - this is 90% of Hashi's people): caffeine, green tea extract, grape seed extract, pine bark extract, white willow bark, lycopene, resveratrol, pycnogenol

7) take stuff to modulate both pathways: probiotics, vitamin A & E, colostrum, boswellia, pancreatic enzymes, curcumin

He says you do all these things, you basically get rid of your antibodies and render your autoimmune condition "dormant"

#71 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 09:17 PM

I have his book but stopped reading when the Starr book came in from the library.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#72 of 227 Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 PM

Skip to chapter 3, it has the good stuff from an autoimmune perspective. I will likely apply some of it to myself even if I don't have Hashi's - with all three of my sibs with serious autoimmune issues, I suspect it would be smart.

#73 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 AM

Iirc, iodide is the form used by the thyroid; iodine is the form used by the rest of the body. And iodine is the form found in food. Time to look up that conversion...

No iodine late at night, right? I've got a tickle throat that's most likely too much selenium. Iodine made the last one go away, but it's already late and I want sleep!

#74 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:

Yes, what I read on this was to take <suggested dose- let's say 3 drops> and dilute by 10 (so add 30 drops to it). Then try taking the recommended dose of this lower concentration. If you still react, again dilute the diluted concentration by 10. Etc and so forth until you can "work up" to the suggested dose.
Quote:
Do you have Dr. K's book? I'd say the chapters on Hashi's are worth a read, particularly chapter 3. TH1 dominant is cytokines IL (interleukin)-2, IL-12, TNFa, and interferon. TH2 is IL-4, IL-13, IL-10. Any stuff like that on your tests?

Directlabs has a couple TH1/TH2 panels, but they are $200-$400. The other way Dr. K figures it out is to take the TH1 supps for 3 days, then stop and take the TH2 supps for 3 days. If you feel better on one, then you can assume the other is your dominant pathway. If you feel worse on both, that means things too (his chapter covers off the permutations).

I wouldn't do a gluten challenge to see if you have Hashi's. Dr. K's protocol for that is to treat the immune system, not the thyroid, so it doesn't really matter if you have Hashi's or not - if you have an autoimmune dysfunctional system, you'd treat it the same. So you could just do that, and assume it will help Hashi's if you have it, and help any other un-named autoimmune thing (or potential thing) too.

His basic program for autoimmune stuff:
1) address unstable blood sugar (this one I need to do) - basically, eat less sugar, eat a little protein every 2-3 hours, if you feel sleepy or crave sugar after you eat, you ate too many carbs
2) address adrenal health - still reading that chapter
3) take out gluten (required for Hashi's) and any other food intolerances
4) therapeutic levels of vitD - 5000-20,000mg. He talks about vitD receptor mutations (you have both, and are homozygous for one of them), are present in 90% of people with autoimmune issues, and they need high normal vitD blood levels at a minimum. Take along with some fish oil (EFA/DHA).
5) glutathionine cream - with your mutations, this would be fine - this along with the vitD starts to modulate the immune sytem
6) tame the dominant pathway (TH1 or TH2) by supporting other pathway:

supporting TH1 (so TH2 dominant): astragalus, echinacea, beta-glucan mushroom, glycyrrhiza, lemon balm

supporting TH2 (so TH1 dominant - this is 90% of Hashi's people): caffeine, green tea extract, grape seed extract, pine bark extract, white willow bark, lycopene, resveratrol, pycnogenol

7) take stuff to modulate both pathways: probiotics, vitamin A & E, colostrum, boswellia, pancreatic enzymes, curcumin

He says you do all these things, you basically get rid of your antibodies and render your autoimmune condition "dormant"
Interesting. I react badly to caffeine (jitters) and I'm allergic/intolerant to aspirin (derived from white willow bark). Haven't tried any of the others- unless pine bark tea would count as pine bark extract? Which my (foster) mom made for me once when I was ill.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#75 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Interesting. I react badly to caffeine (jitters) and I'm allergic/intolerant to aspirin (derived from white willow bark). Haven't tried any of the others- unless pine bark tea would count as pine bark extract? Which my (foster) mom made for me once when I was ill.
Dr. K says often reacting badly is a sign that is your dominant pathway, and it's the other one that needs supporting. For adults, coffee is often a clue - some feel bad on it (TH1 dominant), some feel better (TH2 dominant). But, caffeine can also mess with adrenals, in which case doesn't relate . If you were TH2 dominant, that would be only about 10% of his Hashi's patients, most are TH1.

#76 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I take it back. It's iodine trichloride that I feel better on vs lugols.

#77 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 01:06 PM

Anyone want my Starr book, I'll mail it to you.

#78 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Anyone want my Starr book, I'll mail it to you.
Glad that's the one I got from the library. So you don't think the human race is doomed by thyroid deficiency?

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#79 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Dr. K says often reacting badly is a sign that is your dominant pathway, and it's the other one that needs supporting. For adults, coffee is often a clue - some feel bad on it (TH1 dominant), some feel better (TH2 dominant). But, caffeine can also mess with adrenals, in which case doesn't relate . If you were TH2 dominant, that would be only about 10% of his Hashi's patients, most are TH1.
Yeah, it could be adrenal... I used to drink a LOT of coffee.
At this point in my life, I've personally experienced too many things that are considered "rare" or "unusual" and, in some cases, outright "unheard of" to take percentages or likelihood into consideration with myself.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#80 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Glad that's the one I got from the library. So you don't think the human race is doomed by thyroid deficiency?
If pottenger's cats are any indication, we *are* doomed. Starr just isn't very creative in the problem solving department. I still love my Starr book, because it makes it crystal clear that dd has serious thyroid issues. I should post some pictures comparing her to the ones in the book...

#81 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
I think the Starr book has some great info for diagnostic purposes, as Shannon says. But I think his basic premise is flawed, that for most people, hypo is the primary cause, not just another thing that goes off when you have a cascade of system failures. It may be the primary thing for some people, but his science is bad - he assumes when things tend to go together, that hypo is the cause.

I also think his idea that hormones are the first, last, and only solution is flawed. He quotes all kinds of data from his practice and others, saying "nobody dies, nobody gets diabetes, nobody has heart issues" - oh, except all the people that left. Um, you can't just exclude those folks because they're inconvenient data points . I think what it means is that for some people, thyroid hormones offer effective, lasting treatment. Dr. K's book suggests he has a practice full of people for whom the hormones didn't work, or didn't keep working. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle - hormones are a fix for some, not for others.

OK, end of Starr rant, LOL. Anyone want my book - it does have some useful pictures!

Quote:
Yeah, it could be adrenal... I used to drink a LOT of coffee.
At this point in my life, I've personally experienced too many things that are considered "rare" or "unusual" and, in some cases, outright "unheard of" to take percentages or likelihood into consideration with myself.
Yeah, I hear you! That's like DS, I can't count the number of times he falls into the "10% of ASD kids who don't react like everyone else". You could probably get a doc to run the cytokine tests for you, you have plenty of issues that would justify the testing. Dr. K's approach to autoimmune stuff makes lots of sense to me, and it's all based on relatively inexpensive supps, so fairly easy to try and see if it helps.

#82 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 07:47 PM

I'll have to see if the functional medicine doctor I saw would do the cytokine test. I owe him a visit but it was supposed to happen after a provoked challenge after weaning.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#83 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 08:05 PM

In trying to recall the name of the Dr. K so I can look the book up again (), the only name that I can fit to the "K" is Kevorkian... and somehow, I don't think that's it.

#84 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
In trying to recall the name of the Dr. K so I can look the book up again (), the only name that I can fit to the "K" is Kevorkian... and somehow, I don't think that's it.
http://thyroidbook.com/

#85 of 227 Old 09-20-2010, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
wrong thread! well, it started on topic and then drifted...
#86 of 227 Old 09-21-2010, 01:32 AM

Some links, just for fun

Regulation of mucin gene expression in human tracheobronchial epithelial cells by thyroid hormone. - also talks about vit A being a regulator as well

http://www.tennantinstitute.com/TIIM...yndrome_X.html
Talks about mucin, low blood pressure leading to high as hypoT progresses, and about mucin leading to insulin resistance. Not heavy on the reference, though

Mucin research group

#87 of 227 Old 09-21-2010, 01:46 AM

LOL @ JR!!

Carren - just my opinion, but if I were trying to avoid triggering an imminent autoimmune flare-up, the last thing I would do is a metals provocation. You know you have metals, and if you decide to work on them, I don't think the results of a provoked test really change your options. However, the functional med doc is probably the exact right guy to ask to run a cytokines panel.

I go get my thyroid tests done tomorrow morning. Right now what I'm working on is my blood sugar - I've always been somewhat hypoglycemic, and I eat sugar to cope with being tired. When DS was getting up from 2-6am 5 nights a week, that meant a lot of sugar :P. So, until I get my tests back, I'm assuming I have blood sugar drops triggering adrenal response (and therefore overstressed adrenals), and that's what's going on with my thyroid. I'm also assuming DS needs the same basic eat every 3 hours approach, and DD has always needed it. So family snack all day plan...

#88 of 227 Old 09-21-2010, 02:00 AM

So yesterday and tonight, I've been unusually warm, and today I got a TON done, just cause. Do i credit focusing on thyroid support, or weird weather? I have a non-mercury basal thermometer, but it seems to have stopped working, oddly enough - it's not digital. Other thermometers either need new batteries or are hiding. The few weeks/months postpartum with ds, though, temps were in the 99 range (normally they're low), so I'm not sure that temps would even be a reliable indicator for me? And supposing they're not, what are other short term sx to watch for changes?

#89 of 227 Old 09-21-2010, 02:15 AM

Shannon, how long does it take mucin to go away? That's pretty much the only symptom I can monitor on DS .

I'm not convinced temping is great for me - it works if I can sit still and not talk for 20 minutes, but like that ever happens! Also, I know morning temps vary during my cycle, do daytime temps?

#90 of 227 Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 AM

That was a great link about mucin, thanks. So interesting. I do have the arms. How to get rid of it though? Will it go away as you lose weight and exercise?
I discovered this year that my TSH is a little high, but I was/am too scared to start taking a drug that I'd have to be dependant on for the rest of my life. TSH was 5.4--my Dr. said she thought it was okay to wait on the meds and try a multi with iodine and re-test in 6 weeks. I worked more on diet and exercise and when I re-tested it was back down to 2.4.
BUT, I had read that TSH varies with time of day and whether or not you've eaten. My first test was early A.M. and fasting. The follow-up test was at noon. I had read that TSH is higher first thing in the morning and lowers in the middle of the day. So who knows if my lifestyle changes made the better number, or the time of day I took the test?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page