PMS worse after childbirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-18-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

I had mild/no PMS before childbirth. Light cramping, nothing major.

Two childbirths later, I have headaches, severe cramping, intestinal upset...

Anyone else?
#2 of 11 Old 09-18-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post

Anyone else?
Oh yes. Severe. Mine was mostly emotional/mental effects, but the bleeding/cramping was definitely worse than pre-preg. I would cry for a couple of days leading up to my period. I thought I was having a mental breakdown and seriously considered psychiatric care. It was very scary. Needless to say after my second cycle I told my dh we must get pregnant right away. We did, and I had a Mirena IUD put in 6 months after ds was born (didn't get my first pp cycle until dd was 14 months, so I probably could've waited, but was too afraid). I'm now on my second Mirena and haven't had a period for just over 6 years. I absolutely love it. I've had no ill effects from the Mirena, and I'm on my second one.

I also have a strong family history of mental illness and suicide, so I felt this was the best option for me.
#3 of 11 Old 09-18-2010, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I have been more emotional, too.

No more pregnancies in my future, though, so I'll ahve to come up with an alternate plan.

I have a physical coming up, so I'll talk with my ARNP then.

Good to know I'm not the only one.
#4 of 11 Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 PM

Wow! That is me!! My periods before pregnancies were very, very irregular, min - no cramping, minimal "mood swings" etc. Now, I am having a whole host of symptoms that are starting to freak me out! (I actually was about to start a thread to see if anyone had advice!).

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
#5 of 11 Old 09-19-2010, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've read of people reducing their PMS symptoms by supplementing a few things, either magnesium alone or calcium + magnesium, and/or omega-3 fatty acids. I found pregnancy and nursing very nutritionally draining, it manifested in different ways for me (except for cramping, that I've had--the minerals helped me there) so it may be something to consider.
#6 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odenata View Post

Anyone else?
oh yeah...definitely worse, more "defined" symptoms post-partum...I am also still nursing, so wonder if it will subside a little once DS is fully weaned ...??? more cramping, intestinal upset, headaches...and nausea bordering on the extreme sometimes...really unpleasant...

my periods pre-pregnancy were always pretty mild, symptom-wise...I find that if my overall health is in order, including stress, sleep, etc...the symptoms are not as severe, but it stinks...

also, I now experience nausea and cramping during ovulation...

madre de Mathias http://www.primaryimmune.org http://www.michaeljfox.org
#7 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM

Yup, me too. Before I had DS I would never know my period was on it's way until I saw the physical signs. Now I have huge emotional swings, cramping, bloating, headaches...you name it!

I also have the Mirena. It was put in at 8 months pp and I plan on getting another as well. It does make my physical period go away (almost no bleeding), but has no effect on my crazy PMS. I'm still a crampy emotional mess over here

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#8 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post
Now I have huge emotional swings, cramping, bloating, headaches...you name it!
oh yeah, bloating! never knew what bloating was until recently...it´s awful...for the past few months in the days leading up to AF, I´ve been thinking "my God, have I gained that much weight?" then I get my period and it subsides...I still haven´t gotten used to it...ugh!

madre de Mathias http://www.primaryimmune.org http://www.michaeljfox.org
#9 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Wow, me TOO! I didn't notice it after the first one as much but after this second one.....whoa! I am a basketcase the couple days leading up to my period. I seriously can hardly care for my children without flying off the handle. Then I start and its smooth sailing for another 3 weeks. I also have cramping, nausea, and horrible IBS with my period, which by the way lasts 8 days now. And comes every 26ish days. (sigh)
I am going to look into the supplementation though. I am still nursing too and I'm probably depleted in something.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#10 of 11 Old 09-22-2010, 10:41 PM

My pms went away completely after having babies. I haven't had a baby in 9 years, and I'm still pms-free.

Hope yours improves!

My pms pre-babies was bloating, tender breasts, break-outs on my face, mood swings and crying, and cramping.
#11 of 11 Old 09-23-2010, 11:30 AM

periods got less painful, pms much worse! Mood swings, headaches, bleh!

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page