Am I freaking out for no reason? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday, DS bumped his head on a table... not a major bump... had a bit of a skid mark, no goose egg or anything... wasn't worried.

I just now noticed that all of a sudden, it looks like the skid mark is bleeding under the skin. It has popped up like a big blood blister. Dark purply red and bright read around the very edge. It's not very big.... smaller than dime size.

What worries me is that it looks like its getting worse more than 24 hours after the bump happened, and there wasn't anything that happened to re-injure the spot.

I thought about calling his doctor, but since it's afterhours, I don't want to be alarmed for no reason. A quick google check didn't really tell me anything useful...

Other than not taking a nap this afternoon and being cranky as a result, there are no unusual behavior changes.

So what do you think? Monitor at home? Call the doc's answering service? Cool my jets?

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#2 of 5 Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 PM

I always listen to my gut...a mama's intuition is never wrong If you're worried, I would call just to set your mind at ease. Pediatricians are used to being called after hours so don't feel bad.

I don't think the bleeding is a big deal. It sounds like it developed a blood blister from where he scraped it. But again, if you're concerned at all, call.

(((Hugs)))

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#3 of 5 Old 09-18-2010, 10:03 PM

Head Injuries

I always like this site by Dr. Sears for a quick reference....

I agree with PP. Blessings!
#4 of 5 Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

I did call the doc's office, and he said that it was probably okay, but that I should monitor for petichae (sp?) over the next day or so. Said that sometimes, when an old injury starts bleeding for no reason that it can be because of a platelet issue. And he gave me very clear instructions for what to watch for and what to do about it. I know that that sounds worrisome, but honestly, just talking to him about it and getting the info has calmed me way down.

I wasn't so much concerned about this from a head injury perspective as I was that it was an injury that seemend to be healing and then all of a sudden got worse... I mean it was even starting to form a bit of a scab (you know how skid marks do... the kind where just the top layer or so of skin is rubbed off and there isn't any true laceration or anything)... and then all of a sudden it was bleeding under the skin... with no apparent cause.

Anyway, before I gave the doc the scoop I told him, "I'm sorry for this call, I'm probably freaking out for no reason, but I need someone to tell me that this is okay." He was really nice about it. I really like the pediatric practice we have DS in

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#5 of 5 Old 09-18-2010, 11:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanniesue2 View Post
Thanks!

I did call the doc's office, and he said that it was probably okay, but that I should monitor for petichae (sp?) over the next day or so. Said that sometimes, when an old injury starts bleeding for no reason that it can be because of a platelet issue. And he gave me very clear instructions for what to watch for and what to do about it. I know that that sounds worrisome, but honestly, just talking to him about it and getting the info has calmed me way down.

I wasn't so much concerned about this from a head injury perspective as I was that it was an injury that seemend to be healing and then all of a sudden got worse... I mean it was even starting to form a bit of a scab (you know how skid marks do... the kind where just the top layer or so of skin is rubbed off and there isn't any true laceration or anything)... and then all of a sudden it was bleeding under the skin... with no apparent cause.

Anyway, before I gave the doc the scoop I told him, "I'm sorry for this call, I'm probably freaking out for no reason, but I need someone to tell me that this is okay." He was really nice about it. I really like the pediatric practice we have DS in
Yup, pediatric practice is interesting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page