Really sweaty 6 year old? - Update in post 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is 6. She's always had really sweaty feet and hands for a kid. But the last few nights I'm noticing in bed that she's drenched with sweat. I keep expecting her to wake up ill, but she hasn't. She's wearing light jammies, only using a sheet, and we have a fan on. In fact I'm in a blanket...so I don't think it's the temperature of the room that's causing it.

She's been feeling warm during the daytime for the past few months, but acting totally normal.

Should I be concerned about this? Other info (if it helps). She's unvaxed, eats healthy but not enough and is a bit too skinny, and is almost never sick. Maybe a cold a year and hasn't had a tummy bug since she was a baby (knock on wood!)

Thanks in advance.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#2 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

No one knows if "night sweats" are common/normal for a six year old?

#3 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My two kids with food intolerances had night sweats as a symptom, which went away when we removed the offending foods. My "normal" child did not have them. That's my only experience. But without any other symptoms, I doubt that's her issue.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#4 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't call it normal but I don't think it has to mean something serious like AIDS. I've been reading more on traditional chinese medicine lately, and from what I've read so far, one manifestation of liver stress is night sweats--food intolerances can stress the liver---it's not the type of liver issue that shows up on a liver function blood panel though, it's more subtle. An acupuncturist would probably have advice, probably both dietary changes and at least a few visits for acupuncture, maybe some herbs. That's probably the route I'd take.
#5 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 01:17 PM

I was thinking possible food intolerance as well. Maybe try eliminating the major allergens. Does she have any foods she really craves? Sometimes the very foods one craves can be the ones they are sensitive to.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#6 of 8 Old 09-21-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Funny you all mention food intolerance. We've actually been having problems with her having poop accidents a lot during the past few days. She's started going to a new sitter at night while I'm in school and the sitter has been giving her milk. I never give her milk at home because I'm intolerant to it, so it's never in the house.

So maybe she's starting to become dairy intolerant too now? I'll cut the dairy back out and see what happens. She's never had food issues before so I didn't even think of that.

Thanks!

#7 of 8 Old 09-22-2010, 01:00 AM

Well I'm probably over sensitive to it now, since we just found out my son has a CHD, but sweatiness IS a sign of congenital heart defects. Could this be possible?

I've always complained, mentioned, wondered why my 11 month old was so sweaty at night and when he nurses. It turns out we found it it's because his heart is working double what it should be because of the heart defects he has. I never in a million years would have thought that was why he had the sweatiness, and really that's the ONLY physical sign we ever noticed on the "outside" of him having heart defects.

Couldn't hurt to check it out, if the milk isnt the culprit....

belly.gifMandy Mom to Hayden (9),  Ellie (7),  Jordyn (4),  Evan (10/07/09 - 01/11/12),  

and our rainbow1284.gif baby due January 29th!  

homebirth.jpg   waterbirth.jpg   redbluerib.gif   novaxnocirc.gif

candleflicker2.gif www.facebook.com/healingevan                

#8 of 8 Old 09-22-2010, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

I am actually going to take her to urgent care tomorrow because somethings up. She is pooping every hour or so (but no diarrhea) for the last few days. She's very fatigued (even after sleeping 12 hours a night), and still having bad night sweats. Her appetite is also really poor. Yet she isn't really acting sick or anything And she swears that she feels fine.

I'm actually kind of scared right now. My mama gut is pretty worried about this, I just have a bad feeling.

And she did have a heart murmur as a baby, and I have heart problems. So that is definitely something to look into. Thanks MandyB.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page