DHEA use for increased libido? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried DHEA supplementation (a precursor to Testosterone) in hopes of increasing libido? I have had low libido for years now (I'm sure having 3 kids in 3 years did not help any ) and while doing some research I found about DHEA as a relatively safe way to increase your testosterone production naturally, hopefully without the negative side effects of messing with the testosterone itself. Has anyone heard of this or had personal experience with this? I ordered some and started taking it today (I'm taking a very low dose to start). Feedback?

All natural, hazelwood & Baltic amber necklaces that relieve eczema, reflux, teething pain, migraines, etc. We have Soap Nuts too!www.hazelaid.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010, 07:15 PM

I've never heard of this, but I currently take a fish oil supplement, so maybe that will be a welcome side effect. I just read a good article that actually views low libido as a potential sign of some other condition (adrenal fatigue, etc.). Worth checking out... Hormonal imbalance and low libido

Good luck finding your an answer!
Old 10-05-2010, 11:56 PM

I wil sub. to this one...Low libido lives here also.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtlycrunchy View Post
I've never heard of this, but I currently take a fish oil supplement, so maybe that will be a welcome side effect. I just read a good article that actually views low libido as a potential sign of some other condition (adrenal fatigue, etc.). Worth checking out... Hormonal imbalance and low libido

Good luck finding your an answer!
I'm thinking you're thinking of DHA (as in the fish oil) but DHEA is different. It's a pre-cursor to the hormone testosterone. It helps your body to create a bit more without directly "forcing" it to. I'm currently taking 5 mg a day(a very low, conservative dose) and so far (about 2 weeks) it seems like it MAY be having a slightly positive effect. It's hard to tell yet for sure but I will continue in hopes of more effect in the coming months. Thanks for the link...I'll check it out!

All natural, hazelwood & Baltic amber necklaces that relieve eczema, reflux, teething pain, migraines, etc. We have Soap Nuts too!www.hazelaid.com
Old 10-06-2010, 01:56 AM

I have not heard of that, but am going to check it out right now. Low libido here too.
What kind did you get?

-L

SAHM to 4 cats, DS 5/09, DD 3/12 and 3# due 4/15. Home birthing, non vax, anti circ, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, real food eating pretty darn crunchy mama.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larzanna View Post
I have not heard of that, but am going to check it out right now. Low libido here too.
What kind did you get?

-L
I just got some from Vitacost. This is the one I got.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Low DHEA is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

Also investigate adrenal and thyroid issues.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
Low DHEA is a sign of magnesium deficiency.

Also investigate adrenal and thyroid issues.
Good to know..I'll look into it. We recently started supplementing with some iodine after reading your other thread but not at the high levels mentioned. We're taking antomidine (sp?) daily. I figure better some than nothing...

Old 02-05-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE***

I figured I'd update for anyone interested. I slowly increased my dosage to 15 mg daily and I definitely think it is helping my low libido. We did read some info on Dr Mercola's website about not much testing having been done and his uncertainty about all the ramifications so I lowered my dose back down to 5 mg for a few weeks but I definitely noticed a difference in my libido (decrease). So though I would like to do more research and possibly look into getting my DHEA levels tested to see where they are at, I went back up to 15 mg and consider it an acceptable risk considering the benefit I am getting. Low libido can affect a relationship in many ways and for me, the payout of having a higher libido is worth the possible risk...I realize that may not be the case for everyone so please do your own research if you're considering this route :)

User Tag List