Suggestions for building immune systems in my kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! We recently moved to a new state and since that move, less than 2 months ago, my kids have had about three colds. It seems like at least one of them always has a runny nose, congestion, a cough, or some such symptom after the major cold symptoms are over. I'm dreading the winter if this is going to be the way it goes. There could be an allergy component, as we've had some allergies in the past, and we've been told that this area is pretty bad for allergies.

I give 500mg vit C a day and a probiotic. They are 5.5, 3.5, and 15 months. We homeschool, but are around a lot more people regularly than before we moved.

Suggestions please! I don't want us to be sick all winter long

Thank you! Michelle
#2 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Do you guys take a good probiotic?
Good vit D levels?

Probiotics For Boosting Immunity

Vitamin D For Boosting Immunity

Sounds like it could be environmental allergy?
#3 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 PM

Homemade organic bone broth, frozen into cubes and put into everything from soups to pastas to gravies...
#4 of 7 Old 09-27-2010, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I really like Reishi mushroom tea for an immune boost. It is pretty bitter, but can be mixed with other things. I've had it before blended into a chai flavored tea with milk, which was probably the most palatable blend I've had.
The microalgae (spirulina and chlorella) also have a supportive effect on the immune system. They can be mixed into hot cereal, smoothies, nut butter, yogurt, etc.

Turkey tail mushrooms too! These would be brewed into a tea, similar to Reishi.
#5 of 7 Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 AM

Honestly, OP, you are doing everything I am doing. And we have done pretty good so far this season.

So I must ask, how often were your kids sick before you moved? Were they in daycare and/or public school, being exposed to yuckiness regularly?

My kids both have been in daycare since 7 weeks of age, and I gotta say, we have had some of the nastiest stomach bugs and roten nasty colds, requiring nebulizers, you can immagine. That said, I firmly believe that with each illness, their immune systems got that much stronger.

This season so far, they have both gotten colds. But with the extra vit c I giving them and the probiotics, they are more tolerable then they have EVER been. Like they got the same cold my husband had (Who was DYING one night) but they fought it off MUCH better then he did. . Just a theory I guess.
#6 of 7 Old 09-28-2010, 10:06 PM

This is what we do:

1) Make sure the kids are getting enough sleep (try pushing the bedtime a little earlier and see if they'll fall asleep at that time).
2) give good Cod Liver Oil (Blue Ice) or Vit D3 + fish oil (for us this depends on where our budget is at)
3) give probiotics
4) give a daily dose of elderberry (my kids each get half an Immunity Take care lozenge a day) which you can up if they're coming down with something.
5) minimize sugar intake.
6) be on top of handwashing.

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#7 of 7 Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 PM

I have found that Vitamin D makes a huge difference as far as upper respiratory infections. If you can't get natural exposure from the sun, the D3 supplements are very important.

However, I really think that sunlight exposure is so important. You said you homeschool, so while it's still warm, I would try to make a point of spending time outside in the sun with at least arms/legs/faces exposed (without sunscreen.)

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page