How do you know if you are losing too much blood via menstrual flow? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had gallbladder surgery 8 days ago, and beginning 4 days ago I am having the heaviest period of my life, with cramps that I haven't had in decades. I use the diva cup and am probably filling it 2-3 times a day for the last four days. Is that too much blood or does it seem ok? How do you know when your flow is heavy enough that you should see the doctor or go to the ER?
#2 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 09:53 PM

What kind of pain meds are you on? I'm wondering if something you are taking has an aspirin byproduct in it? It could be making you bleed more.

I recently read that anything over 80cc's is excessive and warrants a call to the Dr. For the record, I have mega heavy periods and what you're describing is about how much I bleed too Although if it's not normal for you, then maybe call just to be on the safe side.

Also, is there any chance at all that you could have been pregnant? I hope you're feeling better soon! I had my GB out a few years back and I started my period the morning of the surgery. Talk about a double whammy!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#3 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the reply.

I discovered that a LOT of women start their period soon after the GB surgery, and that the period is heavy for that month. One doctor said it was just because things get moved around in there so much, the body gets a little confused about what to do next, hormonally. But its not permanent.

Um, how much is 80cc? I am relieved that my flow sounds similar to yours, because you are obviously alive I don't feel weak or anything so I guess its okay unless it gets worse or doesn't stop.
#4 of 6 Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 PM

One rule of thumb I heard is that if you are soaking more than 1 pad an hour, you should seek medical help. I'm not sure how much one pad an hour translates to as far as the diva cup goes, though.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#5 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 12:09 AM

Last May when I went in for my breast reduction I had JUST finished my period (very heavy which is normal for me) and as soon as I had my surgery I had my period AGAIN, which was also very heavy. My doctor told me that because there is so much trauma to the body it's common for some women to get their period again.
#6 of 6 Old 09-26-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, that makes sense. Its slowed a bunch today. I think its nearly done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page