Mothering Forum banner

Penis & scrotum sores on 19 mo???

709 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  LaffNowCryLater 
#1 ·
My son first got his scrotum sore in September after a day of excessive wetness & being in a diaper too long. Then it didn't go away for weeks & weeks & weeks. Sometimes it would go away to almost nothing, resembling a scar, then it'd come back. We tried bactroban, elidel, diaper cream, calendula, washing my dipes in hot hot hot water w/ vinegar to remove amonia crystals, and using disposables (without toxins). Eventually it disappeared around Christmas. Then it came back at the end of January. So we tried Bactroban on it with tegoderm on top to protect it because the docs at my ped's office thought that it was being caused by drippage from his penis. Except that sometimes there's a sore on his penis too, just above the opening on top, where liquid wouldn't necessarily be dripping (unless it was dripping UP). The penis sore usually heals much faster than the scrotum sore. The scrotum sore went away. Now it's back AND there's a sore on the penis (same locations as always) and they're looking scabby. It came back after a night of extreme wetness. I've been putting the bactroban on both sores for several days now, but this morning they just look worse. So today I brought out the tegoderm for the scrotum sore again. I really don't know what to do. Using disposables as opposed to cloth didn't seem to work, and I don't really want to switch. We let him air out for long periods of time, and that doesn't seem to do anything. And the docs don't even know what the heck they are. What do you suggest? At 19 months, going EC seems improbable, as does effective toilet training, though my potty from Ecobaby should be arriving any day (I thought I'd introduce Alex & potty at least and he can warm up to it as he likes, even if it takes another 2 years).

Help! TIA.

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't know if we ever considered yeast, but I don't recall ever really treating it as yeast, so today I have gone into full anti-yeastie-beastie gear. I bought a baby acidophilus supplement today. I got oranges and a grapefruit (though we'll see if he actually eats any of that! :LOL) and plain non-fat brown cow yogurt, and fed him a bunch of the vanillla yogurt I already had in the fridge. I washed all our bedding and his diapers and the lining on the diaper basket in hot hot hot water with vinegar (and a little lavendar
) and am working on getting to scrub the tub & wash all the towels (though it's getting kind of late - I had to wash two pillows - one because it needed it, the other because he peed on it because He's NAKED!). He's not having any sugar and very little flour if I can help it. And I mixed up some water with grapefruitseed extract and squirted it on his genitals 2x so far. I'll coat him in the GSE and yogurt tonight before bed. If this doesn't kill it, then we'll go back to the doctor. You think I should call for some Nystatin too? Anything else?

#4 ·
I wouldn't get Nystatin. Over the counter athlete's foot cream (the generic stuff from the drugstore) should do the trick!

#6 ·
Don't forget the garlic!!!!

To get rid of thrush and yeast, i used a solution of .5 cup water, .25 cup vinigar and 1 crushed clove of garlic. Worked like a dream. Garlic is a great cheap anti fungal. I put it on before dd nursed and she did not even mind the taste.

#7 ·
My ds had something similar. I thought it was yeast too, but it wasn't. He had sores caused from eating some harsh tomato sauce and it caused open sores on his scrotum and bum. He got a bacterial infection from his poop getting into the sores, even though I change his diaper VERY frequently and of course immediately after he poops.
I put some neosporin on it for a day and it instantly cleared it up. I am not to fond on using stuff like that but I think it was necessary in his case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.