sinus relief? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have ideas for relief from/treatment of sinus pain? I've got chronic trouble with sinus pain and colds turning into sinus infections that just last weeks and weeks. I hate getting to the point where I break down and get antibiotics (which never clear it up all the way anyway) but don't know what else to try. Ideas?

Thanks!
#2 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 10:49 AM

You mean other than the zyrtec/claritin, tylenol, ibuprofen, sudafed, neti pot regimen?

I've found some relief with the Sinus Relief nasal spray from Similasan.

I've also found if I don't keep up on my fall allergy symptoms -- like really remembering to take my antihistamine daily, it always turns into a sinus infection by Halloween that lasts till Christmas or spring.

Robyn 3/26/07

angel1.gif 2.06 11 weeks, 3.10 6 weeks, 11.10 8 weeks, 7.11 5 weeks

TWINS due 4.03.13

#3 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 12:25 PM

Vitamin C is a natural antihistimine. We use sodium ascorbate when ill and amla for everday supplementation.

Quercetin, a bioflavanoid, is very helpful for respitory symptoms.

Elderberry is an immune system modulator and can help ward off the colds.
#4 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I consider myself somewhat of an expert on sinus issues having suffered from chronic problems for at least 20 years!

After trying practically everything - an I do mean everything. teh combination that works best for me is: twice daily neti pot or sinus irrigation and this stuff is AMAZING.. I have not had so much relief in 20 years!

www.silversinus.com

most chronic sinus problems are fungal. the acute infections may be bacterial on top of the fungal whioch is why when you take abx, you may feel a bit better for a short time, but end up feeling just as bad or worse (since abx encourage fungal overgrowth)

colloidal silver is a natural anti fingal and anti bacterial. I use this daily for prevention (2x/day) but when I feel a little something coming on I use it more frequently.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!! So nice to have things to try...
#6 of 7 Old 09-30-2010, 06:01 PM

Neti pots are great!

Acupuncture is brilliant for sinus issues. I used to get chronic infections...no more.
#7 of 7 Old 05-08-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacechief View Post

Does anyone have ideas for relief from/treatment of sinus pain? I've got chronic trouble with sinus pain and colds turning into sinus infections that just last weeks and weeks. I hate getting to the point where I break down and get antibiotics (which never clear it up all the way anyway) but don't know what else to try. Ideas?

Thanks!

Hi,

Usually an attack of Sinusitis occurs when mucus gets accumulated in the sinus cavities and the mucus does not come out. Since mucus is a breeding ground for bacteria and other micro-organisms, this leads to infections. Also the accumulated mucus rubs against the walls of the sinus tissues are causes discomfort.

Given this background, it is important that the sinuses are flushed regularly. As one of the participants has suggested, you can use a Neti-Pot or a nasal spray. I personally use Sinox Nasal Spray which is a non-systemic and drug free nasal spray. The antiseptics and surfactants in it rinse away thick or persistent mucus. It also has preventive / prophylactic properties which reduces the probability of suffering a Sinusitis attack.

You may also want to take up Yoga which specifically has exercises / asanas like Namaskara, Sarvangasana, Ardha Chandrasana, which can help with Sinusitis and general respiratory health.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page