Diabetes and Mood Swings - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My partner is diabetic and has severe mood swings...I was talking with a friend tonight and he mentioned the connection. A quick search online came up with a lot of info, but mostly anecdotal. Has anyone dealt with this before? I don't know much about diabetes and it sounds like this moodiness aspect of the disease is largely unacknowledged in the medical community. The accounts I read were very disheartening...has anyone had luck finding a way to stabilize the mood swings?
#2 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Interesting, I have problems with mood swings and have just been diagnosed with diabetes.
#3 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 08:56 AM

You didn't mention Type 1 or 2 so I'm not sure which he has, but here is my story...

My daughter is still young so I don't have experience with diabetic adults, but it's definitely a component of of diabetes for her. In fact, when she was diagnosed, life was rough. She was horribly erratic, prone to fits of temper and just all around difficult. We attributed it to being two (the 'terrible twos') but learned at the hospital that it was because of her blood sugar. Sure enough, once she was on insulin, life got a lot calmer for her. Whenever she would get mean, we would test her bg and soon discovered the link. It was the only reliable symptom when she was 2-4 - she'd hit us, we'd test her. She's six now and the mean-ness has gone but the emotions are still there. Now it's tears and sadness when she's very high or very low and we get manic behavior when she's dropping or climbing really quick.

Now, Type 1s can have crazy bg numbers and I don't think Type 2s are as extreme, but she can be 450 and 45 in the same day. It's the extremes that give us the moods. So...for what it's worth, that's my story...

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#4 of 6 Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, when my blood sugar is high I get very crabby. Plus, all the highs and lows just makes me exhausted, which also makes me crabby.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#5 of 6 Old 10-03-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. ALittleBitCrunchy, he has Type 2.
#6 of 6 Old 10-10-2010, 12:00 PM

Depending on how long he has had the diagnosis, it could be depression. Many, many men especially , but also women who are diagnosed in the 40/50's age time frame get very angry and depressed, but it doesn't present as typical depression. Mood swings can definately be a sign of depression and should be addressed by his doctor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page