Baby Girl has Vaginal Yeast? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think my 5 month old may have a vaginal yeast infection. She has seemed agitated the last few days, and today I noticed while changing her diaper that her vaginal area looks very red. I have been battling thrush off and on for several years now. (I took anti-biotics at her birth but haven't had any since.) I do take a strong probiotic. Any ideas for treating baby?

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
#2 of 8 Old 10-02-2010, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
A yeast infection in a baby is characterized by little red bumps/spots on the outer limit of the rash. If those are not there, it is unlikely to be a yeast infection.

I am in the same boat and looking for a way to treat my 6 mo old daughter. The doctor gave me a cream called Nystatin and that cleared things up for a short time, but when I stop using it, it comes back. All I keep getting is suggestions for more creams. I am looking for suggestions on other ways to treat/prevent yeast infections in a baby, too. So I will be checking on this thread!!!

Sewing, gardening, home birthing, co-sleeping, extended nursing, cloth diapering, baby-wearing, home schooling, attachment parenting busy mommy to dd1 (7), dd2 (4), ds (1) and two in heaven. 

#3 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would say it's very possible. Yeast is a very common cause of diaper rashes in babies, so it's likely that it could develop in the vagina as opposed to your typical butt rash. My mom always used gentian violet on our yeasty diaper rashes. Works like a charm for yeast, I tell ya! And if you're cloth diapering make sure you wash them on hot and add some white vinegar in the rinse cycle and, if possible, hang them in the sun to dry. And watch out for thrush (yeast infection in baby's mouth/your breasts).

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#4 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodieanneanton View Post
A yeast infection in a baby is characterized by little red bumps/spots on the outer limit of the rash. If those are not there, it is unlikely to be a yeast infection.

I am in the same boat and looking for a way to treat my 6 mo old daughter. The doctor gave me a cream called Nystatin and that cleared things up for a short time, but when I stop using it, it comes back. All I keep getting is suggestions for more creams. I am looking for suggestions on other ways to treat/prevent yeast infections in a baby, too. So I will be checking on this thread!!!
When I used nystatin for our thrush (our ped wasn't very good) it helped it a little bit but as soon as I stop it came back full force. I do know that part of the problem is that it was in a glucose base (and yeast thrives off of sugar), but nystatin in general seems to be ineffective a lot of the time. It makes me wonder why on earth it seems to be the go-to suggestion from peds. Once again, I suggest gentian violet, it really is amazing.

- Emy . Single mom to DS nut.gif Ezra (15.12.05), angel2.gif Thames (reincarnated 18.04.08) and DD rainbow1284.gif babyf.gif Allora (11.02.11) and dog2.gif Hoppylactivist.gif  novaxnocirc.gif  waterbirth.jpg fambedsingle2.gif bfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#5 of 8 Old 10-03-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks smeep. Do you have to get a prescription for g. violet or can you get it otc?

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
#6 of 8 Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 AM

You can get it at most stores. It's usually in the OTC pharmacy section, sometimes the "ethnic care" section (i.e., if it's a store in a highly hispanic area it tends to be with the other remedies commonly used in hispanic culture), and sometimes it's behind the pharmacy counter and you have to ask them for it, but I've never had to get a script for it and if some place is crazy enough to want a script then just go on to the next store. I've seen it at Target (the only place I had to go to the counter for it), Walmart, Walgreens, Minyards (the place where it was in the "ethnic care" section), etc... It's usually under $2 for a bottle and, while it's a small bottle, it lasts FOREVER. Just remember that it DOES stain (it usually won't come out of clothes and it will stain your skin for a few days) so if you are cloth diapering make sure to use ones that you don't mind getting stained purple and just be cautious with it. It's not the worst colour to stain things, kinda pretty in fact, but it's not exactly something you want all over everything. You could "outline" baby's diaper area with vaseline to help, but I would still be cautious.

#7 of 8 Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 AM

Oh, and you'll want the 1% solution, not the 2%. I would apply it 2-3x a day for about 3 days and see if it's improved, and watch out to make sure her inner labia handles it well (just because it's such a sensitive part of the body and is easily irritated in general). If you can find it in a water base that would be best, though alcohol base is usually fine because it evaporates quickly, but it can be a little more irritating to her girly parts, so just keep an eye out.

#8 of 8 Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 PM

If you could keep her off sugary/refined foods until it passes that would be ideal....wait, you said she is 6 months. So, if you are breastfeeding you more than likely have given it to her. Do you know if you have candida? It can be hard to treat while BFing.

In peace & health,
Kimberly

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page