List your nutritional remedies for "odd" symptoms.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to compile a list of nutritional remedies for the odd symptoms that plague people. I will update the first thread and we can keep a running tally. If you have a symptom and want to know if someone know a remedy, post here and ask....

burning feet - niacin

slow overall growth - thyroid, pituitary, absorption problems, ????

mouthing stuff (more than usual for a kid) - zinc

xcessive white spots on the fingernails can also be a sign of low zinc. Excessive (according to my ND) = more than 2 or 3

Loss of taste and smell = zinc deficiency

trouble falling asleep at night - magnesium

ganglion cyst - bioplasma (a cell salt) -- I think it helped her absorb magnesium better since DD tends to need more mag than most and I found other references, later, to magnesium and ganglion cysts

stretch marks - zinc

nosebleeds and more bruises than normal - vitamin K2

muscle spasms - magnesium (I've seen this with an irregular heartbeat, muscle twitches near my eye, probably would've helped my charley horses during pregnancy but it didn't occur to me til much later)

canker sores & ANY mouth-lip-tongue-related sore: L-lysine, zinc

charley horses, leg cramps, pain = liquid calcium-magnesium, plus Epsom salt bath if really bad

constipation = Epsom salt bath

yeast infection = garlic suppository

Omega-3 fatty acids - slow-growing hair and nails

Cold sores - SAP and grape seed extract.

Dry skin - low thyroid, omega 3's

Very dry skin and overall feeling of dryness(dry mouth, dandruff) - Sometimes it's a problem digesting fats properly. Fat requires bile to digest, and sometimes we don't release enough bile - you might try some dandelion root and see if that makes a difference (stimulates bile production & release).

Dandruff - biotin and/or b6

Nasty bruises - vitamin C

General hair and nails - biotin and gelatin and possibly omega 3's

Rough, calloused heels - vit A
Peeling lips (and cracking in the middle) - vit A

Bright red lips, dry skin around nose, cracking corners of the mouth -Riboflavin (b2)

Vit A works with b2, so vit A can induce low b2 symptoms.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#2 of 25 Old 10-03-2010, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Chlobo, I thought slow growing hair (and nails) went along with general slow growth?

mouthing stuff (more than usual for a kid) - zinc

trouble falling asleep at night - magnesium

ganglion cyst - bioplasma (a cell salt) -- I think it helped her absorb magnesium better since DD tends to need more mag than most and I found other references, later, to magnesium and ganglion cysts

stretch marks - zinc

nosebleeds and more bruises than normal - vitamin K2

muscle spasms - magnesium (there's a clear trend here, isn't there, in what my family's been low on?) ... I've seen this with an irregular heartbeat, muscle twitches near my eye, probably would've helped my charley horses during pregnancy but it didn't occur to me til much later

Cell salts significantly reduced the amount of a few things that I supplement to the kids.
#3 of 25 Old 10-03-2010, 10:21 PM

I don't have anything to add, but....
Mouthing stuff (more than usual for a kid)...I think this is my 4.5 dd. I am ALWAYS telling her to get things out of her mouth, she's not a baby. Are there other symptoms of low zinc? She does not eat meat, but does eat beans and sometimes red lentils.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#4 of 25 Old 10-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngirl View Post
Mouthing stuff (more than usual for a kid)...I think this is my 4.5 dd. I am ALWAYS telling her to get things out of her mouth, she's not a baby. Are there other symptoms of low zinc? She does not eat meat, but does eat beans and sometimes red lentils.
Excessive white spots on the fingernails can also be a sign of low zinc. Excessive (according to my ND) = more than 2 or 3

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 25 Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 PM

I _finally_ figured that out by looking mostly at my health because a lot of the classic low zinc stuff, like low stature, slow growth, didn't fit DD at all. But my stuff--history of anxiety, depression, thyroid problems, all those stretch marks that started really early in my pregnancy with DD, those all fit together.

There's a liquid zinc solution, let me find one type...
http://www.vitacost.com/Ethical-Nutrients-Zinc-Status

If you google zinc tally test, it'll talk about how the flavor of a particular solution of zinc is supposed to change based on your zinc status. I've never, um, actually had it taste nasty (which is how it's supposed to taste) but I've read enough that it tastes nasty to some people to believe.

For me and my kids, this stuff is about a lot of inherited nutritional deficiencies, my family has had similar health problems for a few generations now--so looking at my health was really helpful. So it was never so much about what *I* was eating, or what DD was eating--not that we were eating great, but the amount I supplement is way higher than one could reasonably get from food, and I really don't think solving the problem needs to be like that for everyone. But I'm sure it could be for some people, it's just not something I have personal experience with.
#6 of 25 Old 10-04-2010, 08:08 AM

No sure if these are odd...

canker sores & ANY mouth-lip-tongue-related sore: L-lysine

charley horses, leg cramps, pain = liquid calcium-magnesium, plus Epsom salt bath if really bad

constipation = Epsom salt bath

yeast infection = garlic suppository

Sorry, those last two aren't purely nutritional, and they are pretty basic to natural healing, but I frequently see requests about them here, and the last one is what brought me to MDC.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#7 of 25 Old 10-04-2010, 08:56 AM

Omega-3 fatty acids are good for slow-growing hair and nails.

For cold sores, we use SAP and grape seed extract.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#8 of 25 Old 10-04-2010, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
Chlobo, I thought slow growing hair (and nails) went along with general slow growth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliabedelia View Post
Omega-3 fatty acids are good for slow-growing hair and nails.

My daughter's overall growth has slowed in the last few years. Her hair has always grown at a snails pace, way slower than normal, but her nails, they grow crazy, crazy fast. It is so strange but I bet there is an explanation out there.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#9 of 25 Old 10-04-2010, 10:00 AM

chlobo, I bet there is an answer, I just don't know it. But someone does, I like the idea of the thread to ask and compile ideas.

canker sores - that can be zinc too (just to add it onto the l-lysine solution)
#10 of 25 Old 10-04-2010, 05:52 PM

anyone knows any remedy for very dry skin and overall feeling of dryness(dry mouth, dandruff) ?

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#11 of 25 Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 AM

Anybody have an idea as to the cause of skin splits on the knuckles and on the finger tips? I don't use harsh chemicals to clean (mainly vinegar) and wear gloves when washing dishes. The skin on my hands doesn't seem dry, though I have extrememly dry, flaking skin on my legs that no amount of lotion will solve. The splits on my finger tips are happening more frequently and are taking forever to heal and they hurt. The skin around the splits is peeling, which seems to uncover red, raw patches. I also sometimes get small water blisters under the skin on my finger tips, usually to the side of the nail. The dermatologist diagnosed this many years ago was a type of ezcema and it used to happen only when my hands had stayed wet for long periods of time (like sweating in gardening gloves) or when washing loads of dishes by hand (when the diswasher was broken). Now it is happening for no apparent reason.

Any ideas?
#12 of 25 Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Loss of taste and smell = zinc deficiency

I've also read where kids who are picky eaters will increase their interest in food when supplemented with zinc.
#13 of 25 Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Dry skin can be low thyroid. Also try omega 3's
Dandruff, biotin and/or b6
Nasty bruises, vitamin C
General hair and nails, biotin and gelatin. Omega 3's helped my mom's nails a bunch - made them feel a lot stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama1803 View Post
Anybody have an idea as to the cause of skin splits on the knuckles and on the finger tips? I don't use harsh chemicals to clean (mainly vinegar) and wear gloves when washing dishes. The skin on my hands doesn't seem dry, though I have extrememly dry, flaking skin on my legs that no amount of lotion will solve. The splits on my finger tips are happening more frequently and are taking forever to heal and they hurt. The skin around the splits is peeling, which seems to uncover red, raw patches. I also sometimes get small water blisters under the skin on my finger tips, usually to the side of the nail. The dermatologist diagnosed this many years ago was a type of ezcema and it used to happen only when my hands had stayed wet for long periods of time (like sweating in gardening gloves) or when washing loads of dishes by hand (when the diswasher was broken). Now it is happening for no apparent reason.

Any ideas?
I got a much more mild version of dry fingertips that *felt* like it would progress to splitting. I tHink it was zinc that made it go away, but potassium and being better hydrated may have played a role as well.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#14 of 25 Old 10-14-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna0707 View Post
anyone knows any remedy for very dry skin and overall feeling of dryness(dry mouth, dandruff) ?
aside from thyroid issues and dietary fat status nat mur cell salt.
#15 of 25 Old 10-14-2010, 11:48 PM

Rough, calloused heels - vit A
Peeling lips (and cracking in the middle) - vit A

Riboflavin (b2) - bright red lips, dry skin around nose, cracking corners of the mouth. Vit A works with b2, so vit A can induce low b2 symptoms.

allergy-nutrition mama, dh, 4yo dd, and March ds
Eating shouldn't be stressful!
#16 of 25 Old 10-15-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerngirl View Post
I'd try supping zinc for a couple of weeks and see if the mouthing goes away. Symptoms can really vary. My DS was redline low on zinc (based on hair and pee tests), and the primary obvious symptom was mouthing (and then came food digestion issues and food reactions, so you don't want to go there!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna0707 View Post
Sometimes it's a problem digesting fats properly. Fat requires bile to digest, and sometimes we don't release enough bile - you might try some dandelion root and see if that makes a difference (stimulates bile production & release).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#17 of 25 Old 10-15-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Riboflavin (b2) - bright red lips, dry skin around nose, cracking corners of the mouth. Vit A works with b2, so vit A can induce low b2 symptoms.
OT:

I had a dream about riboflavin last night. A friend and I shared symptoms of pain (in mouth and stomach) after eating. A year after this started, my friend told me that riboflavin and folate(?) helped resolve the issue.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#18 of 25 Old 10-15-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
aside from thyroid issues and dietary fat status nat mur cell salt.
I've started taking bioplasma and nat mur about a month ago, no change so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafish9
Sometimes it's a problem digesting fats properly. Fat requires bile to digest, and sometimes we don't release enough bile - you might try some dandelion root and see if that makes a difference (stimulates bile production & release).
I'll try that, thank you

I've also read that vit A deficiency may cause dry skin, I have just started taking CLO/BO, which should help if that's the case.

I have never had my thyroid tested, if this annoying dryness doesn't end soon I will do it.

#19 of 25 Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 PM

nat mur should help the thyroid as well. How often are you taking it and how?
#20 of 25 Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne
nat mur should help the thyroid as well. How often are you taking it and how?
According to the instruction on the bottle I should be taking 4 tablets 4 times a day, most days I forget though and I usually end up taking it 2-3 times a day. I take it with water after meals.

#21 of 25 Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 PM

you're doing it right! I'd give it a bit longer. Many of the salts take a while to elicit changes, but they generally do. If the skin is the main issue you might consider adding another salt as well.
#22 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
you're doing it right! I'd give it a bit longer. Many of the salts take a while to elicit changes, but they generally do. If the skin is the main issue you might consider adding another salt as well.
My dandruff is also pretty bad, can you recommend another cell salt I can add?

#23 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 05:07 PM

kali sulph.
#24 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM

I was taking this salt for few days and then stopped because I wasn't sure if it's the right one, will start again tomorrow.
Thank you for the advice

#25 of 25 Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 PM

sounds like you had it all under control.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page