Help for 8yr old with chronic gas - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-05-2010, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi

My 8r old ds suffers from chronic gas I am looking for ways to help him get passed this. I know diet has a lot to do with it but I need a way to help him in spite of not having the best diet. He is a big milk drinker so I'm wondering if he may be mildly lactose intolerant. I was thinking that adding some acidophilus daily may help and I guess some type of system flush. I really have no clue really what to do or what supplements may help.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Thanks
Dana

hijab.gif married to DH  mom to 3 boys, 1 girl
#2 of 5 Old 10-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Hi Dana,
I agree it is the diet- but my 7 yr old girl has bad gas sometimes and does not consume any dairy whatsoever.
I find foods that stay a long time in the gut/intestines have a greater chance to create bacteria and then gas.
Lots of foods can cause gas, but the big culprit is gluten in our family- that's why we are off gluten for one thing. (sometimes we cheat on our diet...and suffer!) But we eat lots of broccoli- and it give us some gas.
You might want to keep a diary of everything he eats and drinks normally and then research each food- is it a trigger or not.
I know fiberous foods, like fruit help move the bowels faster, and get the food out before fermentation! Know what I mean?
I'm no scientist, but this is just what we have learned.
We do Natural Calm each day, and that helps them relax and poop more regularly. I have learned that on a healthy diet, you should poop about 12 hrs after each meal. So breakfast should be coming after dinner, dinner comes the next morning.
does that make sense?
hope I helped a bit.

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#3 of 5 Old 10-06-2010, 11:45 AM

You could try digestive enzymes, they will help him better digest his food. I would expect that to be the best thing to help without diet changes.

In peace & health
Kimberly

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#4 of 5 Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM

I always tend to go for homeopathy....but for that to be effective I'd need to know more-does the gas get trapped? Is it painful? Is it moving and just excessive?

Beyond that, digestive enzymes would be my first thought along with castor oil packs if you didn't want to address diet at all. You can even add dill or fennel seeds in with the pack for digestive comfort. Best of luck!
#5 of 5 Old 10-07-2010, 08:02 PM

Gluten is bad for making me bloated and gassy. I've only been gluten free for a few weeks but I never realised how much it effected me. If I slip now and have something with gluten in it I almost immediately feel really bloated and heavy and uncomfortable.

I've basically just given up bread etc but you can buy / make lots of gluten free alternatives for him. If it is gluten you will notice improvement within a few days.

It's complicated.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page