Has this happened to you? Am I the only one??????????????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have missed my period for the past three months now and when to the Gyno. She did blood work and a pap. Everything came back normal so she put me on 10mg of provera for 10 Days. It has now been 17 days after and still no period.

Has anyone had this happen? Has anyone taken provera and had to wait longer than 17 days?

I should also mention that my husband and I have just moved and am under a lot of stress and I am 26 Years Old.

My Gyno said to call monday if nothing happens...I really am just looking for a bit of support. Has anyone had this happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Any advice or experiences would really make me feel better!
#3 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 10:03 PM

I think it is pretty normal to not cycle regularly during high stress times. Maybe focus on healthy eating, moderate exrecise, plenty of fluids, and try to get your stress levels under control.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#4 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I wasn't sure if stress could effect provera as well...I know I need to now stress as much...I have been trying to take it easer lately...Maybe I will relax a bit more tomorrow... I just want my af to return so I can feel normal again. This has been really disappointing. And almost every forum I read everyone has had there af a few days after provera.

Thank you so very much for the advice! I really appreciate it!
#5 of 29 Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 PM

It happened to me when I was younger and lost a lot of weight and didn't get enough fat in my diet.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#6 of 29 Old 10-10-2010, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! I feel like the only one this has happened to. I will call tomorrow and see what they want me to do. Thank you again!
#7 of 29 Old 10-10-2010, 03:31 PM

Yes, for me I miss my period when:

-I'm pregnant;
-I have too little fat on my body;
-I'm extremely stressed.

Maybe a relaxing exercise regime, like yoga, combined with a real concentration on nutrition, would help. What's your BMI?

I have never taken Provera.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#8 of 29 Old 10-10-2010, 03:36 PM

I was a nurse at an Ob/Gyn office for many years. Provera may not work for everyone. Sometimes our bodies react to stress, environmental changes and various other influences in strange ways.

Just out of curiosity, when was your last pregnancy test? If it has been a couple of weeks since the bloodwork and you are sexually active, you may want to re-test.

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#9 of 29 Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnaMarie View Post
Yes, for me I miss my period when:

-I'm pregnant;
-I have too little fat on my body;
-I'm extremely stressed.

Maybe a relaxing exercise regime, like yoga, combined with a real concentration on nutrition, would help. What's your BMI?

I have never taken Provera.
I am pretty sure that I am not pregnant. I was checked out at the doctor. I have been really stressed though. My husband and I just moved and started a company and there is a lot of other things going on.
Lately, I have been trying to take it easer.

I am not sure what my BMI is...
I know that I am underweight for my height though.
I am 5'8 115-118.
But I have been this weight for a long time and never missed my period before.

I think I will up my fat intake and try relaxing a lot more.

Thank you so much for the advice.
#10 of 29 Old 10-10-2010, 04:37 PM

I second the advice of taking another pregnancy test. It is possible that in the interim of trying to figure this out, you could have gotten pregnant. It may help put your mind at ease too.

Also, like everyone else mentioned, stress can cause delayed or no ovulation. If you don't ovulate, you wont have a period.

Also, has your Dr. checked your thyroid? You could have hyperthyroidism (which can totally screw up your cycles). Good luck!!!

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#11 of 29 Old 10-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm123456 View Post
I am pretty sure that I am not pregnant. I was checked out at the doctor. I have been really stressed though. My husband and I just moved and started a company and there is a lot of other things going on.
Lately, I have been trying to take it easer.

I am not sure what my BMI is...
I know that I am underweight for my height though.
I am 5'8 115-118.
But I have been this weight for a long time and never missed my period before.

I think I will up my fat intake and try relaxing a lot more.

Thank you so much for the advice.
You may have been on the brink. At 5'8 and that weight you are probably around 18. You might have lost an extra pound somewhere in there.

Good luck. I'm sure you're fine. Just eat lots of avocado. Or something. I drink coconut milk smoothies (coconut milk, banana, frozen strawberries, frozen mangos, other good stuff) when I don't feel like "fatty" foods but I need fat.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#12 of 29 Old 10-10-2010, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You may have been on the brink. At 5'8 and that weight you are probably around 18. You might have lost an extra pound somewhere in there.

Good luck. I'm sure you're fine. Just eat lots of avocado. Or something. I drink coconut milk smoothies (coconut milk, banana, frozen strawberries, frozen mangos, other good stuff) when I don't feel like "fatty" foods but I need fat.
Thank you Edna!

I think you may be right...maybe I lost some weight in the move...not eating right. I think this is what caused it.
I really don't think that I am pregnant.
Is 18BMI really low? What should I be at?

Also, Yes my thyroid was check. It was fine along with all my blood work and pap totally normal.

That smoothie sounds AWEOME! I think I will make one tonight.

Thank you again!
#13 of 29 Old 10-11-2010, 03:16 PM

I have a friend about your height and weight who has probably gone over a year without a period simply due to not enough body fat. I think a BMI of 18 probably doesn't HAVE to be bad, but if your body is starting to shut down unnecessary functions, you might try to put on a few pounds and see if things change!

(FWIW, I'm 5'5" and was 108 when I got pregnant with my first son (probably BMI around 18). My midwife told me I was underweight, although my GP said my weight was fine. I think it really depends on how you feel and what your body is doing.)
#14 of 29 Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 PM

Adrenal/thyroid stress caused me to miss my period for quite sometime. You might look into things you can do to help your adrenals. My new favorite thing, if you are open to homeopathy, is Nux Vomica. It WORKS!
#15 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Still no af. I talked to the nurse this morning and she said to come in and see the doctor. I saw the midwife last time.

This is so frustrating!

she said I need to see an actual doctor this time. Why is that?

Does anyone know what they'll do when provera doesn't work?

Thank you to everyone for the advice!
I will get a pregnancy test today just to be sure.
#16 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Pregnancy test was negative.

Anyone know what they will do from here?
#17 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 05:20 PM

18.5 is the lowest most people with normal bone structure should be (by "normal" I mean, even a small frame that is not like, hollow, should be above 18.5). You won't get your period back right away after stress. I think they do an ultrasound to check for cysts and do a PAP (sorry ) which is what I got in college when I dropped down to 110 lbs or something. If you're healthy, they're likely to tell you to put on a couple pounds and cut back on stress. That's what they did for me.

#18 of 29 Old 10-12-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
18.5 is the lowest most people with normal bone structure should be (by "normal" I mean, even a small frame that is not like, hollow, should be above 18.5). You won't get your period back right away after stress. I think they do an ultrasound to check for cysts and do a PAP (sorry ) which is what I got in college when I dropped down to 110 lbs or something. If you're healthy, they're likely to tell you to put on a couple pounds and cut back on stress. That's what they did for me.

Thank you so much!
When I was in the first time a few weeks ago they did a pap (normal) and didn't see any cysts. Do they have to do an ultrasound?

I am going to try to unwind and not stress as much but not having my period is making me stress even more.

Do you think they will put me on estrogen?
I have read that sometimes provera doesn't work because you didn't have enough estrogen to build the lining...

I can't stand all the waiting.
I really want to be able to have kids one day and I don't want this to effect that. (just not now)

I was going to get started on birth control but now I have to wait...
#19 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Okay...
Well I am going to keep posting here because hopefully it will help someone one day going through the same thing.

Tomorrow I go to the Doctors again.
I will post what the next steps are.

Thanks again to everyone for there advice!!!
#20 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 02:00 PM

Keep us updated.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#21 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow morning.

I hope it is just a diet thing. Maybe needing to take in more fat because I am vegetarian and not anything else.

Thanks again!
#22 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 03:48 PM

You do not need to go on estrogen. <---ETA I meant to qualify that with, JUST to get a period back if the doctor believes that everything else is normal.

If there are no cysts and the PAP was normal, and they don't think an ultrasound is indicated, seriously consider whether you NEED your period for a few months. I lost mine for something like ten months (!), three of those I was underweight. I got it back several months after getting the weight back on, and I am very fertile now... well two kids and very little trying all things considered.

Your body is probably just saying, "We are not ready to make a baby right now. Too much pressure, too little body fat." That's okay for now. Yoga, relaxation, do something for yourself, eat at least one really good caloric meal a day, and you will do okay.

(PS... I am sorry to say but this is actually something that if you posted on an eating disorder board, you would realize is quite common among very thing women. So though it's rare among healthy women eating to have children, it's not at all unusual for an underweight woman under stress not to be fertile.)

#23 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You do not need to go on estrogen. If there are no cysts and the PAP was normal, and they don't think an ultrasound is indicated, seriously consider whether you NEED your period for a few months. I lost mine for something like ten months (!), three of those I was underweight. I got it back several months after getting the weight back on, and I am very fertile now... well two kids and very little trying all things considered.

Your body is probably just saying, "We are not ready to make a baby right now. Too much pressure, too little body fat." That's okay for now. Yoga, relaxation, do something for yourself, eat at least one really good caloric meal a day, and you will do okay.

(PS... I am sorry to say but this is actually something that if you posted on an eating disorder board, you would realize is quite common among very thing women. So though it's rare among healthy women eating to have children, it's not at all unusual for an underweight woman under stress not to be fertile.)
I do NEED my period! I hate the thought of my body being so unhealthy!
I want to be able to have the choice weather or not I want kids. Not have my body decide.

I didn't think that I had lost much weight...I have been eating a lot better lately and trying to take it easy.

I think that stress played a major roll as well. I have never been so stressed. Just graduated, just got married, moved, started a company, Family issues (A LOT) ... It has really been a lot lately.

I understand what you are saying. I posted here because I didn't know where else to post.
I do eat quite a bit. For sure "normal". I just don't get a lot of FAT in my diet because I am a Vegetarian and eat a lot of soy.

Thank you again!
#24 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 05:00 PM

I eat a lot but I have a high metabolism. So I understand.

I know it feels like you need your period, but estrogen pills and injections are not necessarily going to return you to health. They will just mask the lack of estrogen in your body, which is a natural, normal result and a way your body is dealing with stress.

The cure is relaxation and nutrition, is all I'm saying. If estrogen helps you relax, so be it.

What are you doing to alleviate stress? Can you get a counselor just to verbally vomit your stress all over her? Yoga? Light exercise?

#25 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I eat a lot but I have a high metabolism. So I understand.

I know it feels like you need your period, but estrogen pills and injections are not necessarily going to return you to health. They will just mask the lack of estrogen in your body, which is a natural, normal result and a way your body is dealing with stress.

The cure is relaxation and nutrition, is all I'm saying. If estrogen helps you relax, so be it.

What are you doing to alleviate stress? Can you get a counselor just to verbally vomit your stress all over her? Yoga? Light exercise?
I have a high metabolism as well and so do my sisters and I am vegetarian so I eat a lot but it usually consists of not super fattening foods.

I totally understand! Maybe forcing it is not a good idea.
I took provera because the midwife told me to...
I guess I was thinking maybe they would have an "answer"...
I read that some women need to take provera two times because the first time
did work or they had a thick lining because of the missed periods. I don't know. I guess I was hoping there was an easy answer. But you are right. Relaxing and eating right and trying to unwind and it will come back.

I am not sure what they will say tomorrow... estrogen, relax, provera....
Either way I am going to take your advice and gain a few pounds and RELAX!

As far a de-stressing I haven't been doing much up until the last week or two.
My husband is enforcing Sundays off work.
We work Tuesday - Sunday
and we used to work Noon until Midnight everyday but now until 9pm. So that has helped.
I try to relax on my day off but usually end up cleaning because we don't get home until 9pm
and then eat and go to bed. There is hardly any time to clean, do dishes...

I have been thinking about Yoga too. I think I will start doing that on my day off...

I have been talking a lot more lately about all that is going on with my husband so I think that will help a lot in the long run as well. I am also starting a journal.

Overall it sounds like you are totally right and I can't tell you how much better you have made me feel!
Thank you for taking the time to talk to me!
It really has helped!
#26 of 29 Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 PM

No prob, I know how worried I was when it happened to me especially about infertility and that was a long time ago. Glad I could help!

#27 of 29 Old 10-14-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Okay...Turns out that everything looks fine.
They are doing blood work for two other things...
I forget what the are called but it has something to do with your brain sending the message to have a period or not. Not sure what they were called.

Anyways, I will be starting birth control.
I am going to get lutera 28 because they didn't have Alesse 28.

Has anyone taken lutera?
Also I take Tetracycline for acne. Can I keep taking this?
The Midwife say that I could as long as I took the tetracycline at least a few hours before the birth control. Does that sound right?

Thank you again everyone!
#28 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 11:57 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't take birth control if I were you.

If you really want your body to be healthy to have children then I would focus on what is going to make it be healthy naturally and not force something with drugs. The things the previous posters have said:

light exercise
yoga
Other stress reduction
gaining some weight or at least adjusting your diet to get more fat

Some ways to get more fat:

Nuts & seeds
Healthy oils - olive & coconut oil
Avocado
Flax seed oil
Palm oil or shortening

If you eat eggs & milk then adding those as well.

Anything else is just going to mask the problem and make you feel like you are healthy when you are not.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#29 of 29 Old 10-15-2010, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't take birth control if I were you.

If you really want your body to be healthy to have children then I would focus on what is going to make it be healthy naturally and not force something with drugs. The things the previous posters have said:

light exercise
yoga
Other stress reduction
gaining some weight or at least adjusting your diet to get more fat

Some ways to get more fat:

Nuts & seeds
Healthy oils - olive & coconut oil
Avocado
Flax seed oil
Palm oil or shortening

If you eat eggs & milk then adding those as well.

Anything else is just going to mask the problem and make you feel like you are healthy when you are not.
I have/am going to keep eating healthy and relaxing a bit more.

My doctor didn't seem to think it was anything with weight but I am going to put on a few lbs and relax more....

I think the birth control and relaxing / eating better are all good things that will help.
When I am ready I will stop birth control and my husband and I will have kids.

Until then I am going to take care of my body and keep with birth control.

Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page