toxicity from any of these natural ingredients? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-10-2010, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've been drinking these Wellness Shots at our local juice bar... It's mostly fresh expressed ginger root, with a dash of garlic oil, oregano oil and fresh lemon. You can add echinacea but I don't. It's one ounce total.

I took one every day for eight days because my whole house is down with a cold which I haven't been ruined by yet... Now I'm addicted and love them (despite them being disgusting).

Anyone know of any toxicity from having any of these ingredients regularly?
#2 of 4 Old 10-10-2010, 01:54 PM

The garlic oil and lemon juice should definitely be fine. It's not recommended to take ginger if you are on blood-thinning medications or have gallstones. It has a plant safety rating of 'B' for breastfeeding, if you are breastfeeding.
I assume by oregano oil, you mean oil of oregano. Some sources say it can decrease iron absorption, so you should take iron supplements with it if you take it long term and not to take it while pregnant. There are other sources that say not to take oil of oregano internally at all. (of course, if it is just regular dried oregano, that is different).

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#3 of 4 Old 10-10-2010, 02:03 PM

I don't think oregano oil is meant to be taken like that - it is a very powerful antibiotic that kills good flora in your gut as well as bad.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#4 of 4 Old 10-12-2010, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post
I don't think oregano oil is meant to be taken like that - it is a very powerful antibiotic that kills good flora in your gut as well as bad.
Interesting about the oregano oil... It definitely does a number on the gut the first few times you drink it...

I'll have to ask the owner's opinion on the oil. It's not dried oregano plants, definitely an oil.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page