Help! Hair loss - 5/6 months post natal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! I feel like I've lost at least 1/2 - if not more! - of my hair in the last month (my baby just turned 6 months). Handfuls and handfuls are coming out.

I know that losing hair is common post natal, but please tell me it will grow back thicker again. Is there anything I can do minimize even more hair falling out or better yet, help it to grow back??

Oddly enough, I didn't experience this with my first baby - although, the two pregnancies/post natal have been different altogether. I'm not sure how it's related, but I'm breast feeding my son (granted, I was BF my first born when she was 6 months any beyond too and I didn't lose hair like this).

Help! I need words of encouragement please.

Thank you. xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Totally normal and yes it will go back to normal. Mine was freaky, and already at 10 months I can hardly tell... so it's growing in well.
#3 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 10:50 AM

My baby will be 6 months at the end of the month. My hair has been falling out for 2 months like crazy. This is my third baby and I'm used to it.
Just remember that when you are pregnant the hair that is supposed to fall out doesnt. The old hair that is falling out now is over a years worth of shedding that had to stop to put the body's energy into growing the baby.
The new hair has to grow back in, so for some people it takes up to two years to thicken up again.
Dont worry. Ive had a lot of friends who's hair did get very thin, but came back just fine. It's not permanent.
I actually enjoy this time because along with the hair falling off, its finally when the weight starts falling off too. It's all hormones.
#4 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 10:55 AM

me too, me too!

just when i thought, if this keeps happening at this rate, i won't have ANY hair left, it started to slow down. but i was getting crazy amounts out multiple times a day for at least 2 months

i know it's normal for most women, but i hate it, and i'm making sure i'm not deficient in any vitamins/minerals in case it's more than hormonal for me, kwim?

my hair is definitely thinner right now than it was pre-preg, but i also have lots of little wispies around my hairline, signs of it starting to come back in.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#5 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my dd is 9m and i'm finally in the crazy regrowth stage. i knew i lost lots of hair, but the regrow is beyond wispies!
i have basically shoulder length hair. it looks like i'm growing bangs/mullet look i have so much hair that is only about 2 inches long.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#6 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
DS is 17m and I still have wispies everywhere! My hair fell out for close to a year, it slowed down in the 2nd half. Just about the time my hair thickens up again, I have another baby and start all over.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 12:59 PM

My kids are only 14 months apart.

SOOOOOOO, I never lost hair PP with my first. I finally started about 4 months PP after my second, and let me tell you, I made up for lost time! I had bald spots in the front, around my ear, at the nape. It was AWFUL. All back now and almost halfway down my back. Not thicker or curly or antyhing, but atleast its there.
#8 of 12 Old 10-18-2010, 11:32 PM

mine started falling out at 4 months, and at about 8 months i finally noticed i didn't have a clump in my hand after washing it. i had really fine/thin hair to begin with, and had enjoyed the hair lushness of pregnancy, so i knew i had it coming to me! i took my midwife's advice: just cut it shorter than you usually do, with a sassy style, use some good product in it, and have patience - it will come back. and now, at 10 months PP, mine is again!

momma to samson, born 12/05/09 to grateful parents.
#9 of 12 Old 10-19-2010, 02:15 PM

I lost a lot too, and then it started growing back in and its making me CRAZY!!!!

I have this new thick underlayer now that is about 2 " long, that refuses to lay flat or go in the same direction of my other hair, and I feel like I look like a chia pet Especially in the front of my hairline.. its making me so upset, even though I am glad the hair I lost is coming back in.. My hair is about bra-strap length, so it looks pretty funky.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#10 of 12 Old 10-19-2010, 03:28 PM

Sometimes pregnancy/childbirth can throw your thyroid out of whack, which can cause hair loss. If it keeps up, it might be worth getting your TSH levels checked.
#11 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 12:07 PM

Moved to health and healing...

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#12 of 12 Old 10-22-2010, 12:13 PM

I'm right there with ya and my DS is almost 8 months. I thought maybe it was because it was so warm over the summer and that I was shedding, but now it's cooled down a ton and it's still happening! Strands and strands in the shower and our bathroom floored is covered after a couple of days of blow drying!! Yuck.
But luckily, I started out with a thick head of hair and still have it, it's just annoying to see it still coming out more so than it did with my first DS!

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page