To take or not to take to the pedi... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-19-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone

My DD (1 year) started w/ gross poo (not diarrhea) & a fever of 103 five days ago. The fever lasted for 2 days, but overall she was pretty happy, just clingy. In that time she also developed a runny nose.

So now it's been 2 days w/ no fever, but she still has a runny nose. Today before her nap she was back up to 100.4 (rectally). I've spoken with my pedi over the past few days and from her symptoms she wasn't overly concerned, but just told me to monitor. I have an ear scope and cannot detect an EI. I'm wondering if it's just a sinus infection now, but I do not like that the fever has returned.

My dilemma is that my pedi is 40mins away and I hate to drive all the way there to find out it's a sinus infection. I am not going to do antibiotics most likely anyway.

What do you think? Ride it out a few more days?

Thank you so much for your help!!!
Jen
#2 of 3 Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 AM

Sounds like your pedi is not concerned, so it sounds like they think the ride out there might not be worth it. Use your judgement. I am not one to rush to the doctor, never have been. But that does not mean you should not go. I do not know your child, but it does not sound too serious, from what you explained.

Hope she gets better soon!

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#3 of 3 Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 AM

I agree with the pp. If you've reported her symptoms and your ped isn't asking to see her then it seems that she's comfortable with what's happening. There is a lot going around right now and it sounds like she has a bug. My question is always what you can do that falls between wait and see or go to the doctor?

There are a variety of home remedies that can be employed as well as homeopathic remedies, cell salts, flower essences and nutritional intervention. This would be the perfect time to support your little one and facilitate healing.

Just from your post I would be doing garlic poultices on her feet, to help with the mucus and fever.

I'd use ferrum phos and kali mur cell salt (granted I don't know the whole picture...just giving an impression) For homeopathy I'd consider doing an acute of pulsatilla depending on how runny the nose was and what color the mucus is. Based on the clinginess and the changability of symptoms that'd be my first choice.

Chestnut bud and scleranthus flower essences can be excellent for weird, changeable symptoms and walnut can help kids break through the illness. Crab apple is great for most any illness as it helps clear things out.

For nutrients I'd think about increasing vitamin A and D. I may even add some glutathione or vitamin C. Elderberry extract can also be very helpful and often tastes pretty good. I tend to put some zinc in the elderberry. All of these things will her support her body as it works to fend things off.

You have a lot of options at your fingertips! This is just off the top of my head. There's plenty of other things you could do as well. If you like the idea of natural care, this is the perfect time to start.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page