9 month old with a ruptured eardrum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my nine month old has had a very mild cold for the last 3 days. Last night after sleeping for a few hours she suddenly cried out, by the time we made it down the hall to check on her, she had rolled over and went back to sleep. We didn't think anything of it and went to bed ourselves. This morning she woke up early and nursed as usual on the left side but when I went to switch her she was inconsolable. I asked dh to turn on the light and I saw that her entire left ear was covered in dried blood. After having a panic attack and getting her into the pediatrician (which took hours) we were told that she has a ruptured ear drum/ear infection. She was given antibiotics and we were told to give her pain medicine as needed. I had chronic ear infections as a kid so the pediatrician said that there could be a genetic factor as well. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask you all. Is there anything natural that I can do to help her/maybe get her immune system stronger? What would you all do about mommy and me classes? We don't know any babies who are close to her age, so we just started a class. She loves it and I think it's important for her to be around other babies. I try not to be overly neurotic about germs. But, this is her 1st illness and she came down with it a few days after the class. Not to be super over protective but a ruptured eardrum is kind of starting things off with a bang. Waking up and seeing blood on the side of my babies head about gave me a heart attack! Not something I want to repeat anytime soon. Also, this was just a mild cold, what would happen if she got the flu? It is the middle of flu season. Do you think that maybe I should delay until we're out of winter? Sorry this post is so rambling. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks.
#2 of 3 Old 10-19-2010, 08:04 PM

Oh my, I'm sorry that happened. It gives me chills thinking about it.
I don't have any experience with this, but maybe this can help as far as stuff you can do at home.
http://www.parenting.com/article/Chi...ache-Relievers
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081600.asp

So far to help boost my dd's immune system, I've been taking vit c, emergen-c and giving her vit c tabs. DH keeps coming down with nasties and so far we've been able to keep it from getting us.

If possible, I would keep my dd away from other kids if bugs are going around. It may not be the right thing to do, but that's what I would do personally.
I hope your lo get's better soon!

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#3 of 3 Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 PM

I know it's scary to have that happen, but it's not a sign she's immuno-compromised. Most docs wouldn't even bat an eyelash about it. One thing you could do is find a good pediatric chiropractor to ensure that her ears are draining well. There can be dietary factors too (consumption of allergens can create issues) that can be looked at.

I wouldn't be looking to "boost" her system at this point as much as I'd be looking to balance it. There are certainly some nutrients that can be helpful and home remedies that can be wonderful as well. I wouldn't worry about it being flu season either, personally. However if you want to take a natural (and preventative) approach I'd enlist the help of a local professional if possible. The world of natural medicine is extensive and you would likely have gotten very different care for this exact situation with a different practitioner. As you're getting your feet wet, it's good to have guidance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page