How can I tell if my daughter has rickets? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently found out I am low on vitamin D and pretty sure I was vitamin D deficient while pregnant with her. She is pigeon toed (my husband is too so this must be genetic), but she also walks in a wide stance and looks bow legged... and it looks similar to that of rickets or blount's disease but I'm not totally sure. She is 18 months. Her pedi never mentioned it so I assume it's genetic or she'll grow out of it. But is there any sure way to know if she does or doesn't have rickets? I scheduled an appt with her pediatrician next Monday just to find out. In the meantime, I just wanted to find out if any parents are familiar with this subject. Thanks in advance!

Btw, I googled pics on rickets and blount's and my daughter's legs aren't severe as the pics... that is why I am not sure if it's something normal she will grow out of or if it is actually a condition.
#2 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 05:29 AM

My DDs had bowed legs and a wide stance at that age, too, but they didn't have rickets or anything. I think it's normal for young toddlers to look like that. Both have straight legs now except for being a touch knock-kneed (genetic).

--K
#3 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 AM

I complete disagree that is normal.

I think "growing out of it" means getting enough vit. D. I would consider this grounds to get her 25 OH D levels tested.

OP where do you live? If northern latitude, you cannot make vitamin D from sun year round. We live in Mass. and I need to take 5000 IU per day throughout winter to keep my blood levels up in mid normal range.

See guidelines here for vitamin D dosing to get blood levels up:
www.vitamindcouncil.org

You want D3 only not prescription (synthetic) D2.

Carlson's D Drops are very easy to give to little ones.
#4 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 10:08 AM

I think you're right to be concerned about the D. I would definitely be looking into ways to get her more.

But I do agree that a wide, bowlegged stance is quite common and normal in young toddlers, in the first few months of walking. All of my kids have walked like that, early on, and all of them are normal and healthy now.

Rickets is generally treated with larger doses of D3. But you'll want to do that with a health care provider's advice, I think. Ask about testing to find out what her levels of D are.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 6 Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyra View Post
But I do agree that a wide, bowlegged stance is quite common and normal in young toddlers, in the first few months of walking. All of my kids have walked like that, early on, and all of them are normal and healthy now.
I agree with Jane, bow legs in young toddlers is not normal and could be a sign of nutritional deficiency. What is normal is walking with legs spread to aid balance.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#6 of 6 Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies for your informative replies. Just to be on the safe side, I'll ask her to get her vitamin D level test this Monday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page