Tinnitus - (ear noise) - anyone have this? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-24-2010, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This just started with me tonight and it's in my right ear. It sounds like purring and it's pulsating. It's not really loud, but yet it's bugging the heck out me!

Anyone ever experience this? How long should I wait before I call the doctor? There are some home remedies I could do and it says to avoid caffeine and alcohol - ack! Other things are to sleep with my head elevated and have something going as 'white noise'.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#2 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 PM

What caused it do you have any idea? Do you have fillings or recent dental work? Possible ear infection?

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#3 of 17 Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 PM

I've read of it resolving in some people after B12 supplementation--so clearly that would only help if you're low in B12, but it's one thing to consider.
#4 of 17 Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturopath Mom View Post
What caused it do you have any idea? Do you have fillings or recent dental work? Possible ear infection?
I have no idea. It didn't start until after I had an MRI done last week.... and that was for my shoulder. There's no pain associated with it. I will look in to the B12 supplement, though. Thank you! Ugh, I'm just falling apart and I'm only 33!

#5 of 17 Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 AM

Could be related to wax build up or fluid in the inner ear, too.
#6 of 17 Old 10-26-2010, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have it bad and have as long as I can remember... I've never tried B12 tho.... I just live with it...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#7 of 17 Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
I have no idea. It didn't start until after I had an MRI done last week.... and that was for my shoulder. There's no pain associated with it. I will look in to the B12 supplement, though. Thank you! Ugh, I'm just falling apart and I'm only 33!
Have you taken any aspirin? I had this happen once when I had taken too much aspirin. I suppose any other NSAID or pain med could cause it as well. I also get it occasionally just randomly.

Kim sewmachine.gif mama to DS autismribbon.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif12/2005, Pepper kitty cat.gif, and angel1.gif 10/03, angel1.gif 1/05; homeschool.gif

#8 of 17 Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 PM

Sounds like it might be easy to solve, chronic tinnitus can be difficult though. Maybe try some Ginko?

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#9 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 02:47 AM

do you grind your teeth or have TMJ? tinnitus can be a symptom of TMJ. i have the occasional ringing. it stinks, and i sympathize. i go to phys therapy and it helps relieve the tension in my jaw, neck, etc. tmj can wreak havoc of everything from your jaw, eyes, neck, shoulders, scalenes, arm, fingers...the list goes on. its really manageable though.
#10 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 06:41 AM

I get ringing from yeast growth or die off, but it doesn't pulsate.

That is interesting about B12. I was very deficient due to a prolonged illness and had to correct with injections. I don't remember if the ringing got better. I think I am low in B12 again.
#11 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 07:48 AM

I have really scarred eustachian tubes from chronic ear infections as a child.

As such, my right ear doesn't drain properly when I get a fluid buildup, and my ear rings loudly until the fluid drains. it also rings whenever I am getting sick, for some reason.

I would get it checked out to make sure you don't have any fluids built up or an ear infection starting. There isn't a lot they can do if it is, but if it is fluids, they can give you some anti-inflammatory and possibly something to dry up the fluids, like psudoephedrine.
#12 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

This isn't a ringing sound, though, it's a purring sound. Just like a cat very very softly purring in your ear. I bought the B12 and will give that a try. But I think it's a build up of wax because my ears feel full and congested, but no pain.

#13 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM

I have it - have had it for years. The audiologist says it is related to my hearing loss (lots of people with hearing loss also have tinnitus) and I really cannot do anything for it.

The sounds I get are assorted: a background hum, clicks, chirping, ringing. Most of the time I am able to ignore them. They aren't so bad when I wear my hearing aids, but I have el-cheapo hearing aids and they fit terribly, so I don't wear them so often. I am saving up the thousands of dollars I need for new, really good, programmable digital ones. Maybe by next year.

I think I'll try the B12, too. Can't hurt, right?
#14 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eireann View Post
do you grind your teeth or have TMJ? tinnitus can be a symptom of TMJ. i have the occasional ringing. it stinks, and i sympathize. i go to phys therapy and it helps relieve the tension in my jaw, neck, etc. tmj can wreak havoc of everything from your jaw, eyes, neck, shoulders, scalenes, arm, fingers...the list goes on. its really manageable though.
That's very interesting. I have/do both and have been dealing with tinnitus for the last year. Thanks for the info, I'll definitely be looking into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymama77 View Post
This isn't a ringing sound, though, it's a purring sound. Just like a cat very very softly purring in your ear. I bought the B12 and will give that a try. But I think it's a build up of wax because my ears feel full and congested, but no pain.
That actually sounds very similar to the sound and feeling I get when I have fluid in my inner ear from allergies. If you see a Dr. they have a small device that can detect fluid pretty easily and they can prescribe something to dry it up.
#15 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 05:06 PM

I've had tinnitus for years & have just been living with it. In my 20s I saw an ENT & had an audiogram but nothing showed up. But....I recently went to another ENT to see about my chronic post-nasal drip & after some testing and another audiogram, she diagnosed me with otosclerosis. It's main symptom is hearing loss (which I have but thought it was congestion related to the PND) but tinnitus can be part of it.

OP, this may not be your issue but I wanted to throw it out there for anyone else who may have tinnitus & hearing loss.

stephanie asl.gif

#16 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

So should I call my doctor or let the B12 run its course??

#17 of 17 Old 10-27-2010, 05:54 PM

I get tinnitus and I also get a ticking/purring sound which is something different, from air behind my eardrum somewhere. I've had both for years and have never tried anything to really get rid of them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page