Cancer Survivor Mama - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 101 Old 11-22-2011, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Prairiemommy,

I did have a bone density test, pretty soon after I started the AI.  I have a family history of osteoporosis and have been allergic to dairy most of my life, so I was kind of worried.  But my bones looked fine last February or March, whenever it was that I had it done.  But then I had what was called an "insufficiency" fracture in my knee in late July.  I tore my meniscus, tried to do too much on it while I was limping, and got a fracture.  That's not supposed to happen!  I am worried about my bones.  I don't qualify for Zometa right now.

It has taken a full year since chemo for my white blood cell count to come above 3.  It's now 3.2.  I was severely neutropenic during chemo, and mildly neutropenic until my labs today!  My ANC is 2.2, that is the best it's been in a year, except for a time when I was pretty sick. It was a good sign that it went up with whatever infection I had, but then it came back down again. I even had a bone marrow biopsy because it was really low for a while.  That looked fine.  My anemia (red blood cells) recovered much faster.  My platelets were kind of in-between.  They were low-normal most of the past year, and now are mid-normal.  I hope that's helpful.  My oncologist said it's not comon, but he has seen people take this long to recover their counts.  

How are your kids doing now?  My daughter is doing so much better than last year.  She still talks about the cancer from time-to-time, but she's not seeming as stressed as she did.  One of my infusion days, she spent a lot of time curled up in a fetal position under the slide at school.  Her school was great, but nobody put 2 and 2 together that day.  I felt so sad for her when I heard that.  Nothing like that this year, and I feel like I'm a fully able-bodied parent again.  I hope you are getting there too.

Hope everyone else out there is doing well too.

#92 of 101 Old 01-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I haven't been on MDC much in the  last few months, but just looked at this thread. 

Prairiemommy, I am so sorry your surgery was so awful.  Unspeakable.

I'm an old timer as far as the aromatase inhibitors go.  I was premenopausal before chemo, and was on Tamoxifen for two years after.  I've been on Femara for about three and a half years now.  I had pretty bad joint pain at first, which is somewhat better now.  I've also had increasing osteopenia.  After my last bone density scan, my oncologist said medication was an option, but after he went over the potential side effects, I'm putting it off for a year.

The absolute worst is the vaginal dryness.  Awful, and nothing helps.  My GYN wanted to give me a topical estrogen cream, but the oncologist was less than enthusiastic.  Sigh.

#93 of 101 Old 02-18-2012, 09:44 PM

Is anybody still out there?

#94 of 101 Old 02-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Still here!  How are you doing? Your daughter?  I think about everyone on this thread daily.  

I'm good.  I started out with 48 weeks of treatment and I'm at the end of week 33 - 14 weeks to go!!!  I'm ready to be done.  But, I'm so blessed to have made it this far.  Most people have to stop by now because of the side effects.  I feel very blessed. 

Scans have all been clear.  I'm almost at 1 year since diagnosis.  My chance of a reoccurance goes down at 2 years and then dramatically down at 5 - it's good to have a goal!

How is everyone else doing?  I think about you all and pray for you daily.  

#95 of 101 Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 PM

Amcal that's great that you've got so much of it done.  

My daughter is having a night-and-day year compared to last year.  She playfully tried to nurse on my last week (hard because I am flat now), but there wasn't the same neediness to it that she had at times in the past when she's nurse on my arm.  She wanted to play mama whale and baby whale because we'd just read a book.  Made me sad once again that something so special to us got stopped the way it did, but also quite happy that she could lightheartedly play around at it.  She's doing so much better.  We all are.  Cancer is still a huge part of my life because I've got a bunch of symptoms that are the collateral damage from treatment, and of course the fear that it's going to come back, but things are much better than a year ago.  Right now I am having a lot of phantom itching in my nonexistent right breast.  Really not so bad in the general spectrum of unpleasant sensations.  Not that I've given up trying to improve things, but it's stuff I can live with,.

I have a drop in risk at 2 years, but I'm not sure where the two years starts from, whether it was diagnosis or end of treatment.  If it is from diagnosis, I've got another four months to get to two years.  Because of the particulars of my tumour, I can't get far enough out from it to ever have the risk go down to nothing.  I don't think I'm going to tempt fate by celebrating anything other than birthdays.  I feel a heck of a lot better about birthdays since cancer - I don't care about the number looking old anymore.

Lettie

#96 of 101 Old 12-05-2012, 09:38 AM

Hi Mamas!  Just checking in to see how everyone is doing?  I continue to think about you all and pray for you every day.  Hope everyone is doing well.  Know that we're here if anyone needs support <3

Quick update - had scans on Monday and everything continues to be all clear.  I'll hit my 2 year mark in April.  They consider my surgery date as the date I was officially cancer free so, they go by that date.  Looking forward to the two year mark :)  

Sending you all positive thoughts and wishes for HEALTH and peace!  

#97 of 101 Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM

I'm still here!

I'm not on the computer as much as I used to be, I think that's a good thing.  But it's good to still be here!

I hope the rest of you are too busy to be on these boards often, too.  I hope your kids are surprising you and delighting you.  I hope treatments are either over or tolerable.  

I myself continue to hang in with no recurrence of my cancer, but I do deal with a lot of damage from its treatment.  I just had a terrible infection in my lymphedema that was also in my blood.  The good part was that I didn't have to stay in the hospital.  My clinic just had me come every day, even weekends, for IV antibiotics, and I'm a lot better.  I was so glad not to have to be away from my family.  I'm feeling a lot better today and should be 100% soon. 

In general, life's pretty good.

#98 of 101 Old 12-10-2012, 07:53 PM

Oh mama greensad.gif. I have chronic lymphedema in my leg as well so, I understand greensad.gif. I'm so sorry. You know, lymphedema can spontaneously reverse itself. I believe that is going to happen for both of us!
Do you have a pump to drain the fluid?

I'm so glad to hear you're cancer free! Awesome news!
#99 of 101 Old 12-11-2012, 10:28 AM

Hey all:

I've been AWOL from Mothering lately. I've been spending a fair amount of time since my diagnosis on the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society support boards, which has a forum dedicated to my kind of leukemia. There are a few parents of young kids, and we talk about the challenges of keeping up with them, and talking about our illness with them, etc.

It's good to see that everyone here is doing well, all things considered. I am still on daily treatment, which has been very successful (knock wood). I am in what is called "complete molecular response," which means the current PCR technology cannot quantify the leukemic cells in my blood. They're in there, though, waiting for their big break.:) The drug I take has wreaked some havoc with my endocrine functioning, so I am working with an endocrinologist to normalize my thyroid function. I have ups and downs in that regard, and a lot of ongoing fatigue and musculoskeletal pain. I have had to scale back my expectations for my life, but I've gotten to the point where I am mostly OK with that.

Hugs--

Beth

#100 of 101 Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 PM

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing?  I know I say this every time but it's true - I think about you all and pray for you daily.  Would love to hear how everyone is doing?

I'm good, 2.5 year out and scans continue to be clean.  I know my surgery cured my cancer, I know it did.  I believe it - I have to, there is no other option.  But, for some reason this week I'm struggling with fear.  I'm trying to work through it but, gosh, it can be overwhelming.  I look at my husband sometimes with such anger thinking he doesn't have to think about not seeing our girls graduate high school, college, get married, becoming a grandparent etc....  I know it's not fair or rational but, it's where I am right now.  It will pass.  

Have my 3 year scans in December.  It seems so long ago but yet I can't wait to be 5 years out - my chance of a recurrence drops at 5 years so I find myself desperate for the time to go faster so I can get to 5 years.  Again, no so rational.  But, I'm working through it.  

Anyway, I just wanted you all to know I still think about you and pray for you and wish you all health and good fortune!  

#101 of 101 Old 09-15-2013, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Not a mama with cancer, but my DH has been (bone) cancer free for over five years :joy. He did not take the conventional route, and was able to heal completely from the cancer without any treatment. He isn't out of the woods, as he has been dealing with a heart condition which does require diuretics, but so far has avoided open heart surgery, and his condition is already 50% improved. 

Fear, is such an major obstacle to healing, we have found taking each day as it comes and lots of laughter to be very helpful. 

amcal likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page