Cancer Survivor Mama - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 101 Old 10-27-2010, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello All...any other moms who are cancer survivors?

I had a malignant brain tumor removed two years ago and another little one removed two weeks ago. I feel great and am focusing on health and nutrition and good treatment. Kris Carr (crazy sexy cancer) is fabulous and I just got a juicer from her site.

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
#2 of 101 Old 10-27-2010, 10:46 AM

Me!!! I am so glad you posted! I hadn't been on here in a long time because I felt like no one here would understand what I was going through. I just couldn't relate to discussions of baby showers and homeschooling while I was wondering if I was going to see my boys grow up.

Anyway, I'm fine now - 16 mo survivor (hate that word but don't know what else to use!) of breast cancer that was diagnosed just after my 32nd birthday. Had to do the chemo, rads, a year of IV drugs...the whole bit! I found a naturopath and focused on nutrition and supplements to get me through the conventional tx and I'm still working w/ him instead of doing the five years of hormone tx that the onc wanted me on. So now I'm just moving on and picking up the pieces of my life after cancer and divorce and trying to enjoy each day to the fullest with my boys!

It sounds like you're doing well then? I had read one of Kris Carr's books and it really helped me during chemo. Did yours start in your brain or was that mets from somewhere else? So glad to hear you're feeling well! Hope we hear from more mamas...although I'd like for there to be LESS cancer mamas!
#3 of 101 Old 10-27-2010, 12:44 PM

I'm a breast cancer survivor, coming up on six years. I did eight rounds of chemo, a lumpectomy, radiation, a year of Herceptin, two years of Tamoxifin and am now on Femara. And a partridge in a pear tree.

abomgardner, I know what you mean about worrying to see your kids grow up.

I haven't read Kris Carr. From the little I know, she wouldn't be my cup of tea, but whatever gets you through it is all good as far as I'm concerned!
#4 of 101 Old 10-27-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

I'm so glad you both responded!!

Mine was only in the brain and did not spread. I LOVE Kris Carr and am very interested in the nutrition part. What kinds of nutrition are you using? I made the green veggie juice that she mentions for the first time today and it was really good. What other kinds of things have you been doing?

goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
#5 of 101 Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM

Hi Suzmama,

I have not had cancer personally, but have many loved ones who have, and have done a lot of reading/educating myself. I too Kris Carr! I've been following her for a few years now, and love her work! Can't wait for the new book, and her daily blog is a wealth of knowledge too.

I also love the book How to Prevent and Treat Cancer with Natural Medicine...lots of gems in it.
#6 of 101 Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 PM

I'm counting down the months til I can TTC. My treatment most likely didn't affect my fertility, but my breasts were partially in my radiation field and no one can really say how that might affect breastfeeding. It's one of those things that doesn't get addressed much because I think there just aren't many other women in the same situation (young adult cancer patient + somewhat militant about breastfeeding). I've spoken with a friend (who I met through MDC) who is also a cancer survivor about trying to compile some fertility/breastfeeding info for other women in our situation (she has one child, but hope to have more). Are any of the rest of you still hoping to have anymore children? Or have you had children after cancer treatment?

I got Crazy Sexy Cancer but it totally wasn't my thing. I'm pretty big on natural foods, leaning towards traditional foods. I did recently get a blender and I've been making smoothies and I like being able to mix all kinds of goodies in there (greens, flax, coconut oil). Right after I was diagnosed, I was at a farmer's market and got a Kris Carr type juice and I promptly decided that carrot/wheatgrass/beet type juice is just not my thing!! My big thing right now is just trying to find the time to get off my butt and exercise. I'm sticking with walking for now, but I need to be more active than I am.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#7 of 101 Old 10-27-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

New Kris Carr book...that is so exciting!! I am so interested in the nutrition as well as the whole health approach. Anyone have a water purifier? Any good juice ideas? Today I did the one with celery, chard, cuke and carrot...it was good!

#8 of 101 Old 10-27-2010, 10:02 PM

EFmom - you responded to my post about cancer when I was first diagnosed and helped me out a ton - Thank You! Sounds like we had the exact same treatment except that I just couldn't handle the Tamoxifen. The side effects made me want to die or kill someone. I'm premenopausal so I can't take anything else and my onc wasn't too big on suppressing the ovaries. She did suggest having them out but I just do not want to go through those se's at my age.

oiseau - since I'm getting divorced I don't plan on having more kids, but who knows what will happen or who I will meet in the future! I would be a little nervous about it because my breast cancer was hormone positive. I've heard that pregnancy would protect against more bc and I've heard that the surge of hormones would fuel it...I don't think anyone really knows for sure. No docs mentioned breast feeding from the radiated breast, but I think they all assumed I was done having kids!

suzmama - I don't think I really do much that's different in terms of nutrition than what most moms do here. Avoid the white stuff and processed foods, avoid sugar/sweets, minimal dairy (because it doesn't agree with me anyway). I just try to eat organic and upped my veggies/fruits and whole grains. I don't like meat a whole lot but I have some a couple times a week. Love my beans! And I avoid estrogenic foods and alcohol since the cancer was hormone positive. My ND had me on a strict elimination diet once treatment was done and I couldn't have eggs, dairy, citrus, nightshade veggies, gluten, soy, corn, caffeine, alcohol, or chocolate. THAT was nearly impossible!! But I felt so much better afterward and lost a ton of weight. I love smoothies and veg juice...the wheatgrass not so much!
#9 of 101 Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
I got Crazy Sexy Cancer but it totally wasn't my thing. ... Right after I was diagnosed, I was at a farmer's market and got a Kris Carr type juice and I promptly decided that carrot/wheatgrass/beet type juice is just not my thing!! My big thing right now is just trying to find the time to get off my butt and exercise. I'm sticking with walking for now, but I need to be more active than I am.
Yeah, I had a well-meaning friend who kept bringing me the wheatgrass juice blends. One look at the wheatgrass concoctions made me way more nauseous than chemo ever did. If I was going to drink that stuff, it would have to come with a side of Zofran and a Kytril drip. I finally had to lock my office door after repeatedly asking her to stop to no avail.
#10 of 101 Old 10-30-2010, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I was really glad to see this thread. I am day 4 of my last cycle of chemo for breast cancer. I start radiation soon. It's all happened so fast.

DP and I have had really good support from our families and from our friends in this area, but this has still been so hard. I struggle with anxiety and crankiness. I'm planning to take a mind-body stress reduction course that focuses on meditation, but it's so hard to see having the time to meditate and exercise with 2 kids under 4. Going to try anyway.

I miss my old assumption that I would be around for my kids as they grew up. I can see now that even before cancer I couldn't have known that for sure, but I still miss it.
#11 of 101 Old 10-30-2010, 05:51 PM

Letitia, congrats on being almost done with chemo! I found radiation to be pretty easy in comparison. It was just a pain to have to go there every day, but the treatment itself wasn't bad for me. I hope it's a breeze for you!
#12 of 101 Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Letitia, woo hoo for your being almost done with chemo! Radiation was not bad at all for me either. I hope it will be a breeze for you! There is so much hope nowadays that we can hang on to that positive Mamas!

#13 of 101 Old 10-31-2010, 10:20 AM

Letitia - You made it!!! I remember clearly the feeling of finally being done with chemo...such a weight off! The girls are right, rads was a breeze, just a pain in the rear to go to everyday.
I can totally relate to the assumption that you'd grow old. I was so healthy before dx that I was super confident that I would live to be at least 100. What a shock to realize that we're not invincible, but then nobody is!
It is hard to get meditation and exercise in with little ones and I don't have a perfect schedule, but I manage somehow (my twins are 4 and were 3 during my treatment). I haven't meditated in awhile but I normally do it when I put my boys to bed if I'm not too tired, which is most nights (being tired that is!). I didn't really start exercising until well after rads and Herceptin were done. I took walks and did gentle yoga but didn't start going to the gym until about 3 months ago. We were able to do a lot of hiking the past couple months too, which is my favorite thing.
The stress reduction class should help you a ton. I started a meditation class around the time I started radiation and, in addition to relieving stress, that's what really helped me power through the rest of treatment and gave me confidence that I might just live to 100 anyway!
#14 of 101 Old 11-03-2010, 06:08 PM

Hey, I don't come to MDC much anymore but a friend pointed me to this thread.

I have Stage IIIa breast cancer and just had my first round of chemo two weeks ago. I had a mastectomy in September and had 12 lymph nodes out, 11 of which were positive for cancer (which is not a clear margin). So I am having aggressive chemo and will have radiation afterwards, of course.

I have four kids ages, 12, 10, 7, and 3 and I SAHM full-time and homeschool my 10 yo. I nursed through my mastectomy (it's the only reason they didn't take my other breast - it's cancer-free but I have a super high history of early age breast cancer and they will take it next summer) and he nursed up until the last night before I had chemo. He would still like to nurse and asks every night but I have to say no. It has been tough finding enough help as we don't have family in the city and I am unable to lift my 3 year old at all (mastectomy obvs on one side and 10 lb weight limit on the other due to the picc line).

I'm always sorry to hear there are more people with cancer out there but glad you all seem to be doing well.
#15 of 101 Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiseau View Post
I'm not a mama yet, but I'm a cancer survivor (I hate that word too!). I'm 6mo. out from Hodgkin's lymphoma. I had 6 mo of chemo and about a month of radiation. I'm still dealing with side effects from treatment and it sucks (mostly cognitive issues....that resulted in me getting terminated from my job).
I'm counting down the months til I can TTC. My treatment most likely didn't affect my fertility, but my breasts were partially in my radiation field and no one can really say how that might affect breastfeeding. It's one of those things that doesn't get addressed much because I think there just aren't many other women in the same situation (young adult cancer patient + somewhat militant about breastfeeding). I've spoken with a friend (who I met through MDC) who is also a cancer survivor about trying to compile some fertility/breastfeeding info for other women in our situation (she has one child, but hope to have more). Are any of the rest of you still hoping to have anymore children? Or have you had children after cancer treatment?

I got Crazy Sexy Cancer but it totally wasn't my thing. I'm pretty big on natural foods, leaning towards traditional foods. I did recently get a blender and I've been making smoothies and I like being able to mix all kinds of goodies in there (greens, flax, coconut oil). Right after I was diagnosed, I was at a farmer's market and got a Kris Carr type juice and I promptly decided that carrot/wheatgrass/beet type juice is just not my thing!! My big thing right now is just trying to find the time to get off my butt and exercise. I'm sticking with walking for now, but I need to be more active than I am.

I had cancer treatment before children. I had non-Hodgkin's, in 2004 when I was 34 years old. Did chemo. Six months after chemo ended I found out I was pregnant with my 1st. We had not been trying, because we were told it would be at least a year before my fertility returned after chemo. I had not had a period or anything, so we were being lax about b.c. and...oops! Very happy oops. When we started trying for a second child, that's when the fertility problems kicked in, but we managed to get pregnant naturally anyway (I drank a metric ton of wheatgrass juice for a few months!) Anyway, I really try to stay healthy now and eat as organic and veg as I can. I'm sending out prayers and healthy vibes to those of you going through treatment right now. You will beat this. Love and good health to you.

Good thread. There are a lot of us out here, unfortunately, and we need each other!

Jen, mom of  two amazing girls, b. 2/16/06  and 1/29/10 hbac.gif

#16 of 101 Old 11-05-2010, 11:29 AM

ACsMom-I'd be really interested to hear about your pregnancy 6mo out from chemo. How did your health care providers react? I'm 6mo. out right now and I still feel so exhausted and cruddy all the time.

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#17 of 101 Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM

Suzmama, EFmom and Abomgardner,

Thank you! I was feeling kind of down when I posted before. I was apprehensive about radiation in the beginning of this, although I am much less so now. Now I just want to know the daily schedule and get on with things. I am really looking forward to going back out into the world, which I couldn't really do during chemo because my counts were so low. I also didn't really start to feel like I was "done" with chemo until the usual (for me) side effects of that last infusion started to ebb. But I do feel done now. Yahoo. If it makes any sense, it's been a little scary to finish the chemo, but I am so glad it's over.

Prariemommy,

I wish I could come lift for you. I hated the physical limitations. I have a port, not a PICC, so I only had to wait until my mastectomies had healed enough to lift my kids. That time does come. I was kind of amazed that healing was possible during chemo, and I'm sure it wasn't as fast as it would have been without the chemo, but it happened.

My daughter was not quite 3-1/2 when I was diagnosed and had my surgery, and she was also still nursing. We are a 2-mom family and my partner nursed our son, who had just turned 2. I hated weaning my daughter, but I did that after my biopsy. That was very hard for me as well as her - I loved nursing. Thankfully she had been slowing down a lot on her own - a year earlier would have been much rougher. I let her suck on my arms until chemo, and my partner nursed her a little bit too. That was back in June/July. I don't think she's asked in a couple months.

Good luck with chemo.
#18 of 101 Old 11-07-2010, 01:53 AM

Thanks Letitia. It is hard and he's been having a horrible time weaning. I weaned him cold-turkey the night before chemo and he keeps thinking it will be like the bone scan contrast and leave my body fast so he can nuse again. So he asks every night.

My hair is falling out today.

Also, weird question - did water start to taste like soap as you went through chemo? I'm having trouble getting it i all of a sudden.
#19 of 101 Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 AM

prairiemommy- One of my biggest problems with chemo was the awful taste in my mouth and the nasty smell of my sweat/urine/body for a few days after treatment. I generally found that right after treatments, I'd have to stick with drinking strongly flavored juices (grape, cherry and blackberry were my go-tos) over water. Just drinking plain water made it worse.

Letitia-Best wishes with rads. It was nice to have the daily routine of radiation and the staff at my doctor's office was super nice, so it was nice to see them every day! Also, I had pretty bad radiation burns in my armpits and the only thing I found to help heal them was this: Tortuga Lotion. It was recommended to me by another cancer survivor mama and I swear, it worked miracles! All the "normal" recommendations like Aquaphor and aloe just made the burns worse. Hopefully, you won't even have to deal with any burns, but if you do, I highly recommend the Tortuga lotion! (i have no affiliation with them, it just worked so well and I wish I'd known about it sooner!)

#20 of 101 Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM

prairiemommy - I so wish I could come to help you too! How many more chemos do you have? My parents were a huge help, but still, they had full-time jobs and lives too, so while they were a great blessing, I still could have used more. I keep saying I'm going to start a child care service that's free for moms who are going through chemo or any other serious health issues. But being a single mom, I don't know how I would support myself and my kids if I'm offering free services, lol!
Water did start to taste nasty. I drank about a gallon on the day of chemo - during and after it because I knew the next day it would taste like foot fungus. I started drinking Vitamin Water and Coconut Water until I could handle plain water again.

Letitia - I was so scared of radiation! I looked for every way possible to get out of doing it but looking back, it's like...What was I so afraid of? It's a little unnerving at first but it quickly becomes routine.

ouisea - I wish I had known about the Tortuga lotion. I wasn't too burnt, just mainly red and itchy and ended up using the Rx lotion they gave me, which I'm sure had nasty parabens in it, but at that point I didn't care. Aloe and emu oil didn't work real well for me.

I did take a supplement during rads called Ultimate Antiox...can't remember the brand, but I swear it's why I had so little se's.
#21 of 101 Old 11-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Thanks everyone. It is hard and it sucks but there is no way around but through, right?

I seem to be getting every side effect in the book too, which is unpleasant. This Friday will be my second chemo, out of 6. That is, if I pass the blood tests and if this pesky cough doesn't turn into a cold or that my picc line doesn't turn out to be infected. (I've had a bad day)

I reacted much stronger than they anticipated to the first round. It didn't help that they prescribed domperidone as an anti-nausea drug (along with Zofran) but I of course couldn't take it, after having weaned literally the night before. So I only had Zofran and Gravol to use. It took me just over a week to fully recover. They said if it gets worse than that, they will have to spread out the treatments more than every 3 weeks, which would suck because I just want it over with.

Sorry for coming and complaining in a survivor thread but it's just nice to know that there are mothers out there who understand. Thank you though, for the support.
#22 of 101 Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 PM

double post oops

#23 of 101 Old 11-07-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiemommy View Post
Thanks everyone. It is hard and it sucks but there is no way around but through, right?

I seem to be getting every side effect in the book too, which is unpleasant. This Friday will be my second chemo, out of 6. That is, if I pass the blood tests and if this pesky cough doesn't turn into a cold or that my picc line doesn't turn out to be infected. (I've had a bad day)

I reacted much stronger than they anticipated to the first round. It didn't help that they prescribed domperidone as an anti-nausea drug (along with Zofran) but I of course couldn't take it, after having weaned literally the night before. So I only had Zofran and Gravol to use. It took me just over a week to fully recover. They said if it gets worse than that, they will have to spread out the treatments more than every 3 weeks, which would suck because I just want it over with.

Sorry for coming and complaining in a survivor thread but it's just nice to know that there are mothers out there who understand. Thank you though, for the support.
I for one don't mind at all if you complain here!! Cancer sucks and sometimes you just need to get all that complaining out! I always felt like I had to put on a tough face for my vary worried parents and friends and sometimes I just needed to vent about how crappy I felt or how I really was upset about my hair coming out or whatever. Hang in there!!

Abomgardner- That lotion really saved my life! My armpits were burnt totally raw and I got some type of mystery illness (I think it was just my body dealing with the burns) right after I finished the radiation that caused an awful fever and sweats, so the sweat was stinging the burns. Every other cream/lotion/ointment just made the burning so much worse, but the tortuga healed it up in about 3 days. It sucked, but on the bright side, my armpits don't have smelly sweat anymore, even 6 mo. out from treatment! (Sadly, the hair did grow back!)

#24 of 101 Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 AM

Prairiemommy, I'm sorry it's been rough. I had a tough first cycle - a lot of nausea and vomiting, and a few days in the hospital with a neutropenic fever (UTI, never had one of those before in my life, suspect it was from the diarrhea). I did stay on schedule with the chemo, although I was still on antibiotics for the second infusion.

I really tried to look at that first cycle as a learning experience. I wished afterward that I had talked with the clinic about how much nausea I was having earlier than I did because they were able to add a medication. I ended up using 4 prescriptions and ginger capsules. I had to keep track of them on paper because I could never remember for sure when I'd taken what. The thing I did not have to use after that first cycle, but was just an out-of-the-blue discovery that got me through it, was my partner or mother rubbing my upper back or head. Lightly, not a massage, and I have never in my life wanted to be touched while I was vomiting before.

I also figured out that it was worse if I went a while without eating so I put myself on an every 2 hour schedule, after the first night or so after an infusion when I was too out of it to eat at all. Small amounts of mostly bland, easy stuff, but really I didn't pay strict attention to the clinic's suggestions - I ate what I felt I could put in my mouth at the time. I only avoided acidic foods, because they stung. Nothing specific that I ate seemed to make the nausea worse, but some things went down easier.

I had bad tastes too. The worst for me were anything sweet and ginger. The ginger capsules were a last resort because I was afraid I'd burp up the flavor.

The other thing that I did to get through chemo was not to think about what percentage of it I'd completed. If someone asked I could say, but if I didn't count off the days, I just got through each one at at time.

I shaved my head just before my second infusion. The stubble fell out, but it was kind of like having just had a haircut - just a little itching in my clothes sometimes. I think it made me feel a little in control of it, and I didn't have to see my whole head of hair coming out.

I hope some of this is helpful. In my very limited and personal experience, there was nobody who could tell me exactly what to expect or how to deal with all of it, but I could take bits and pieces from others' experiences.
#25 of 101 Old 11-09-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiemommy View Post

Please complain away, my dear, that's why we are here.

And complain to your oncologist. After my first round of chemo, I spent the afternoon on the bathroom floor. I wasn't throwing up, but I sure felt like it. The chemo nurse called to see how I was and I told her, and joked that I shouldn't complain because I actually hadn't thrown up. She said how I was feeling was totally unacceptable and that they'd try something different next time. For round two they added a Kytril drip, and for me that made all the difference.

I used to feel like all I did was talk about every little side effect to the oncologist, but really, a good one will encourage you to tell them everything. They have a lot of meds to combat the side effects, but if you don't tell them, they don't know.
#26 of 101 Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 AM

Good news!  I did complain and I got better drugs for Friday!  Also, if those don't work, I can call on Monday and they will order some super-seekrit stuff that is hard to get but works awesome.  So at least I feel like there is a plan in place.

When he asked me when I started to feel nauseous and I said, "While I was still here, getting the meds", his eyes went :shock: and about bursted out of his head.  So he said to start this med as they're pumping me up with fluids the morning of, instead of waiting until after.  He also apologized for giving me a drug last time that is also a galactogogue right after weaning cold turkey (domperidone) so that was nice. 

The bad part is I have a head cold but he has said that it's not severe enough to cancel chemo unless I wake up with a fever the morning of.  So I'll be coughing and blowing my nose throughout this round.

But thanks for all the help!  One more day and I'll see how this extremely hard to find med (3 different pharmacies to get it yesterday) will work. 

#27 of 101 Old 11-17-2010, 07:20 PM

So happy to find you ladies. I had looked several times before without much luck. I was diagnosed with melanoma one year ago today. Had surgery in Dec and Jan and was finally staged with 3a. I'm sure you guys know but that means it was in one of my lymph nodes. You'll probably think I'm crazy but I wish there was some chemo or radiation that worked on melanoma but as there is really no effective treatment I turned down their crappy one and decided to try to boost my immune system naturally. Would love to completely follow Kris Carr's advice but I was nursing and still am so I opted for juicing plus a anti-cancer diet along the lines of http://www.anticancerbook.com/ so that I felt like I was doing something while I watch and wait. It's been a rough roller coaster of a year in which I was sure at times I wouldn't be here now, but here I am and get this one... I'm pregnant too. I was talking myself out of the fourth I so very much wanted because I was worried that my immune system being suppressed would let any remaining melanoma run rampant and I'd be essentially untreatable. (My melanoma appeared while I was pregnant last time.) Trying not to think that way now though! Anyway so far I've only met one other person in my situation (pregnant after stage 3+ melanoma diagnosis) but who says I can't do well right? I have to keep reminding myself there is a chance that I could be sitting here cancer free anyway. I get locked into the "it will come back at some point I just don't know when" mind frame. Does everyone feel like that at times or is it a special melanoma added bonus? :) I hate that there is no expiration date so to speak for melanoma recurrences. I have heard of it coming back within the first year all the way up to 30+ years later.
Thanks, if you have made it this far!

So here's the kicker of the day... remembering that today is my one year from finding out I have melanoma. My OBGYN's office calls and I think nothing of returning the phone call. To which I am greeted with the announcement that I had abnormal cells found in my pap smear and that now I'm HPV+. Seriously??? They told me not to worry but did you think that worked? Of course not. Especially since she told me today of all days! Ugh. Cancer sucks doesn't it?

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#28 of 101 Old 11-18-2010, 03:24 PM

Sorry that news was on an anniversary day.  My experience isn't with melanoma, but I know I'll be able to rattle off the the dates of my biopsy, when I found out the results, when I had surgery, etc, for the rest of my life.  And I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, especially while pregnant.

Servan-Schreiber's "Anticancer" was the first thing related to cancer I was able to read after my diagnosis.  I was so scared I couldn't think about it for a while, just went ahead with treatment, but I felt "safe" reading his book because he was coming from a place of understanding the fear.  Thanks for your link, I just signed up for the newsletter.

I started radiation this week.  Am awaiting the arrival of my Tortuga lotion, looking forward to trying it.  It got an impressive "0" from the EWG.  I've heard criticism of them, but who else is doing that kind of work at all?  I really don't like Aquaphor. 

Prariemommy

Don't know if you are checking this at all, but I thought of you this past week and hope #2 went better.

#29 of 101 Old 11-19-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
I started radiation this week.  Am awaiting the arrival of my Tortuga lotion, looking forward to trying it.  It got an impressive "0" from the EWG.  I've heard criticism of them, but who else is doing that kind of work at all?  I really don't like Aquaphor.

Good luck with radiation. I hope the treatment works well and you have as easy a time with it as possible. And for what it is worth I love EWG! I won't use anything on myself or my kids that I don't check with them first. Why add more cancer risks when you can easily avoid them, right?

Jess ~mom to DS1 8/05, DS2 6/07, DD 7/09 and one surprise 5/11!
Melanoma survivor/patient. Diagnosed 11/09. Wear sunscreen. Check skin. See a derm.
#30 of 101 Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 AM

Hello all.  I had a mast and 6 weeks of radiation for breast cancer.  I am finally set to have my exchange surgery next week (8 months with tissue expanders is long enough).  Question for you all who did rads, how long until your energy returned 100%?  This past month I have finally felt like myself during the day but by 8 p.m. I am done and falling asleep on the couch.  I miss having any time in the evening for myself and my dh.  It's getting frustrating and now I'll be having another surgery and starting the recovery process ...again.  I know this next surgery is supposed to be 1,000 X's easier thant he mast but I'm still nervous.

momma to 4!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page