New born baby and family has virus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-01-2010, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a newborn baby and my whole family has come down with a virus with diarreah. I am unsure of how to keep the baby from getting it. We are scrubbing, washing, disinfecting, but we've still all ended up with it. I am breast feeding and trying to drink a lot of water, but it just goes right through me. How do I stay hydrated and is there anything safe to take over the counter. My midwife said to take Imodium and to drink gatoraid. Is there anything else I can do to protect my little one? Thanks for any suggestions.
#2 of 7 Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy HS View Post
I have a newborn baby and my whole family has come down with a virus with diarreah. I am unsure of how to keep the baby from getting it. We are scrubbing, washing, disinfecting, but we've still all ended up with it. I am breast feeding and trying to drink a lot of water, but it just goes right through me. How do I stay hydrated and is there anything safe to take over the counter. My midwife said to take Imodium and to drink gatoraid. Is there anything else I can do to protect my little one? Thanks for any suggestions.
I'd minimize the people who touch the baby. If you can be the only one until the virus runs its course, that would probably be best. I hope baby escapes it - my husband and I got sick several times in our daughter's first year and she was always the healthy one!

Immodium might be OK if you just can't manage the diarrhea, but I think letting your body rid yourself of whatever it's trying to get rid of might be a good course of action. When I've taken Immodium, I end up constipated and feel awful from that. Do force down the Gatorade as much as you can, and anything else that sits OK for you. Chia seeds can add bulk to your stools too. I hope you are all better soon!
#3 of 7 Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 PM

Breastfed newborns are pretty well protected from getting sick, especially when mom's the first one to catch it. I wouldn't worry about it too much other than making sure that anyone who is sick with it washes their hands well before touching the baby and doesn't kiss the baby on the mouth.

For you, staying hydrated is crucial. Don't hesitate to get medical attention if your symptoms don't improve within a few days.
#4 of 7 Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM

My husband and I both came down with a stomach virus when DD was 2 weeks old (and I'd already had one at 38 weeks pregnant, how unfair is THAT?!)

I think DD got a tiny case of it, but I'm not even sure.

The midwives told me to stay hydrated, and to not take immodium for at least a couple days, if possible. That the puking/diarrhea is getting rid of the virus from your body.

However, being dehydrated trumps all of that.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#5 of 7 Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 PM

I agree that the baby is generally well protected from the antibodies you're producing and passing via breastmilk.

For mama I'd suggest pascalite or calcium bentonite clay (which acts similarly to immodium but allows the body to move the toxins along.) That and nat mur cell salts with bioplasma added to water and sipped throughout the day to prevent hydration. I'd also increase vitamins A and D for a few days.

The last thing which works really well, but it's more difficult to get ahold of is sangre de drago. Excellent for vomiting/diarrhea bugs.
#6 of 7 Old 11-02-2010, 01:24 AM

If you can't hang onto any liquid, don't hesitate to go to the hospital and get a couple bags of IV fluids.
#7 of 7 Old 11-02-2010, 10:59 AM

The "power" of breastfeeding is an amazing protection. When DS2 was six weeks old, DS1 came down with an awful stomach virus, then a nasty one called herpatic stomatosis, then I came down with a really nasty case of HFM. The baby never got sick. Last week DS1 got pink eye and a cold, the baby hasn't gotten sick yet. Knock on wood.

Now if I could just get DS1 to stop getting sick. But that's what happens when you have other people's kids running through your house all the time.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page