his nose won't stop running! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS (14 months) has had a runny nose for a whole month. Not a mild runny nose, we're talking having to wipe constantly and it is green/yellow. He got it a month ago. It always starts and ends clear but then turns a toxic green. He had it for a week, then nothing for a day, then it started back the next day and he had it for two straight weeks. We had almost a week of a break and then two days ago it started running again. He shows no other signs of being sick, just the running nose...but it gets so raw from wiping it and sometimes when he nurses he can't breathe. What is going on here? He is teething majorly, but I thought it would run clear if it was just teething related? Anything I can do to help out my little guy? I've been giving him elderberry syrup everyday. I put Unkers salve on his feet at night and we have started using a vaporizer at night in his room. What can I do to nip this in the bud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by camelfam View Post
DS (14 months) has had a runny nose for a whole month. Not a mild runny nose, we're talking having to wipe constantly and it is green/yellow. He got it a month ago. It always starts and ends clear but then turns a toxic green. He had it for a week, then nothing for a day, then it started back the next day and he had it for two straight weeks. We had almost a week of a break and then two days ago it started running again. He shows no other signs of being sick, just the running nose...but it gets so raw from wiping it and sometimes when he nurses he can't breathe. What is going on here? He is teething majorly, but I thought it would run clear if it was just teething related? Anything I can do to help out my little guy? I've been giving him elderberry syrup everyday. I put Unkers salve on his feet at night and we have started using a vaporizer at night in his room. What can I do to nip this in the bud?
DS is 14 months and I wouldn't say his runny nose is green, but the boogers certainly are. Seriously colored. He''s cut 4 teeth in the past week. I think it's teething.
I agree that I'd thought teething would be clear, but at least here (unless he Also has a cold at the same time), there's definitely some color going on.

Of course, I've also set up the vaporizer too. Just in case.
I just follow him around constantly with the aspirator. Poor guy's not even scared or annoyed by it anymore - he just sits there and lets me suck at his nose.

single, WAH home, to my only very kind & sweet lil man
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Could well be the teething. But also, any chance there are allergens in the house? Could the corners and under stuff use a deep cleaning? Could there be mold or mildew hiding somewhere? Pet allergies? I get a runny nose when I haven't dusted the less noticeable spots in a while.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:43 PM

hmmmm... I've always had the idea that color to the mucous indicates that the body is getting rid of stuff... dead germs/virus? not sure. I think of clear snot with allergies since it's an immune response that's not really clearing out any infection. but then if there are allergies I think it might give a stronger foothold to an infection. at least he doesn't seem to be feeling badly, if he is fighting something. is he sleeping OK? no fun to worry about your baby, even "just" a runny nose. put something under his nose - I used to do vaseline but have read it's a petroleum byproduct and avoid it if I can. maybe coconut oil just to give a little protection so wiping isn't as irritating.

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

Old 11-06-2010, 11:57 AM

My ped always called it the 'glazed doughnut" stage. I think it has to do with teething also but really common! DD's lip always styed red because she would lick at it too!

User Tag List