tonsils + sleep apnea - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,

I've searched the archives, but I haven't really found this info.

We need to consider a tonsillectomy to resolve DD's (age 6) very enlarged tonsils that are causing sleep apnea which is, in turn, causing a bunch of behavioral and emotional symptoms. Clearly we can't be certain, but the correlation and timing of everything is in direct alignment. DD is also a very active, athletic kid who gets 10-12 hours of sleep a night but is just physically exhausted on a daily basis. It's clearly causing quality of life issues for her.

We are also researching alternative solutions, but for this discussion, I'm really seeking the following input:

- Did you have any long-term success (in other words, a cure) with alternative medicine (homeopathy, accupuncture, osteopath, etc.) with resolving enlarged tonsils and sleep apnea? If so, please share what worked!

- If you chose a tonsillectomy for your child, did you ever regret it? I am most interested in folks who chose this to cure sleep apnea, as opposed to resolving recurring illness, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Holli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 AM

My ds had a tonsillectomy a few months ago. His was combination sleep issues and recurrent illnesses. He had already had his adenoids out two years prior. Since the tonsils came out, his sleep is so much more restful.

We are actually now going thru the same thing with my older dd, she is having terrible exhaustion daily. She sleeps similarly- 10ish hours a night but still wakes tired. Lately she is having periods of waking in the night as well. We are going for an xray on Thursday when she is off of school to check her tonsil/adenoid structure out. If it is suggested to have her tonsils/adenoids out, I will take it in a heartbeat.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Have you considered food intolerances? I don't think DD had sleep apnea, but her tonsils were visibly enlarged before we removed the foods she's intolerant of from our diets. Took about a month to see the tonsils go down to a regular size, but her sleep got better sooner than that [along with some other good changes, tonsils were the slowest], within a few days she was waking less frequently and seemed more rested and happier--she was 3.5 yo at the time.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No regrets here. DS was 2.5 when he had both his tonsils and adenoids out. We asked to see an ENT because DS's tonsils were so big that he couldn't swallow solid food anymore and was down to pureed food only. He choked and vomited constantly while eating. Meeting with the ENT was when we discovered he had sleep apnea (he was waking up to 10 times per night and needing me to help him back to sleep) and that night after the ENT I stayed in his room while he was sleeping and realized just how much he wasn't breathing while he slept. The ENT also pointed out that he mouth breathed only (during the day too) and his voice was very nasally (something we didn't notice because it was just him). DS had also had about 10 severe ear infections that year. And he was severe failure to thrive. The ENT was hopeful the surgery would reverse the failure thrive too (it didn't).

But no regrets. DS started sleeping through the night for the first time in his life and he could eat again.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 PM
EVC

Subbing. Dd is a heavy snorer and seems to have apnea as well. She has a dr.'s appt on Tuesday to discuss this, but hasn't had her tonsils/adenoids checked yet...The idea of surgery REALLY scares me.....

PhDin' mama to dd (Oct. 2005)

User Tag List