Best Vit D supplement? Vegan option? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My vitamin D levels just tested low, and I am looking for the most bio-available supplement. Even better if it is vegan. I am still breastfeeding, if that changes the recommendation. Thanks!

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
#2 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 AM

The best one is D3, which as far as I know is only sourced from fish oil or lanolin.  I believe there are vegan sources of D2, but it's not nearly as effective in remedying D deficiency.  If you are still breastfeeding, take lots, and also take mag, calcium, A, K2 (they all work together in the body).

Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. ~Jonathan Kozel
#3 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 PM

I second D3.  I'm breastfeeding and have no idea what my levels are, but I'm taking 6700 IU's a day.  My neighbor is elderly and she takes 50,000 a day, because she was low.  Maybe ask your doctor for a dosage amount?  I also give drops to my kids as well.  We live in the Pacific Northwest and 400 IU's per day is recommended for children now that the AAP increased the minimum for kids.  

SAHM married to with twin boys  and a girl .  

#4 of 6 Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM

Yes, you definitely want D3 if you feel you can do that. The vitamin D council website has information about why you don't want to use D2 forms.

I'd suggest 10,000 IU per day normally but I'm not sure if pregnancy affects dosage amounts. You need something like 1000 IU per 25 pounds just to maintain current vitamin D levels. You want to raise and raise quickly so you'd need more of course to have any chance at normal levels--and the baby greatly benefits from normal levels. I wish I had known I was low in pregnancy.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#5 of 6 Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 AM

You had asked about the most bio-available - to me that means what brands are better...but maybe I'm misunderstanding. FWIW, our family doc says there are only three companies in the world that synthesize Vit D. So, even if you buy Sisu or another $$ brand, you are basically getting the same thing as in the cheaper brands.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#6 of 6 Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 PM

FWIW, not every authority is in agreement regarding D2 vs D3. I am vegan and take D2, did through pregnancy and now in breastfeeding. My levels test great!

Here's a research article showing D2 is just as effective as D3 - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2266966/

cruelty-free, beastie-full!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page