light bleeding from newborn"s bellybutton - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

nak

i have a three week old.  Her cord fell off at 8 days.  Since then, she has had continued spotting of blood,  Enough to leave a mark on clothing.

My concern is that we didn't do the vitamin K shot, partially because my boys and i react oddly to synthetic vitamin K.  I didnt want to do that to her.

Anything i can do at home to help?  Calendula wash?  Isnt there a herbal powder that would help?

I partially feel worried because we currently dont have a pedi to help. 

Eat vit K rich foods?  We are dairy free.

energy medicine?

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#2 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 12:54 PM

I don't want to freak you out at all, but the vit K thing was my first thought as well.  I've been doing some research lately to update my materials and one thing I came across was information about "warning bleeds" that can occur prior to a major bleed when babies do have VKDB.  One of the more common sites is the umbilicus.  If it were me, I'd be going to a ped.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 01:28 PM

What does it look like?

When Rostik's cord fell off, at about 3 days, he had a hemangioma birthmark there.  We didn't know what it was right away, but the pedi said she thought it was a hemangioma, and sent us to a dermatologist to confirm.

Anyway, that sort of birthmark is extremely vascular, and bleeds easily.  At first we were trying to clean it as per the doc's instructions, but every time I did that it bled, and left marks on his clothes.  Actually, it left marks on his clothes for probably over a year, even though I stopped touching it early on.  All his baby clothes has a brownish splotch stain in that area.

Now it just oozes mucous.  Fuzz from his clothes sticks to it, and it works its way outwards and dries in a crusty circle.  He peels it off.  

The doc said it will probably be reabsorbed suddenly when he is 5 or 6 over a short period of time.  After that point, if it is still there, we can just have it lasered off.  But it doesn't make sense to put a newborn through that.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#4 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 02:28 PM

Can you do vit K drops?  We did those but I still seem to recall Adam's belly button bleeding for longer than I thought normal.

Mom to DMI & Silly Apple
#5 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Leigh - I don't think that is what is going on, but I am going to check it out.  thanks for your idea.

Chlobo - can't do much drops - because it causes intense bruising in us.  Decided to do one a week, that low level doesn't. 

Just consulted with Panser.  She recs alfalfa, but they give me migraines because of glutamate.  I'm thinking if I really up my GABA maybe I can handle the glutamates.  Should propose that to mamafish, see what she says. 

womenswisdom - totally hear you.  Now we need to find someone.  Our ped left town without telling her clients.  Called when we got back from the hospital and found out.  Now we are searching.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#6 of 9 Old 11-15-2010, 11:23 PM

My 3yo had this problem. His cord fell off at like 5 days and then bled intermittently for weeks. Never much, but enough for his cloth dipe to absorb a bit if it rubbed on it. I monitored it pretty closely, but he never had any further issue with it.

If I'd known better at the time I may have tried to support his K. I've read that oral K in newborns can be more effective than the injection. 

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#7 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 12:43 PM

I have a 3 week old with the exact same problem- cord fell off at 7 days, and has been "spotting" ever since. It has actually gotten better in the past few days. I asked my midwife about it and she said it wasn't a big deal, but that if it gets worse or continues for too long to see a doc for something to help it dry up.  We DID do the vit k drops, so i doubt it is that. Funny I didn't do vitamin k at all with DD and DS and they never had this issue. Try not to worry!

Amy, mommy to Ava, 6, Gavin, 4, Lila, 2, and Baby #4 due in early November! joy.gif
#8 of 9 Old 11-17-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

Leigh - I don't think that is what is going on, but I am going to check it out.  thanks for your idea.

Chlobo - can't do much drops - because it causes intense bruising in us.  Decided to do one a week, that low level doesn't. 

Just consulted with Panser.  She recs alfalfa, but they give me migraines because of glutamate.  I'm thinking if I really up my GABA maybe I can handle the glutamates.  Should propose that to mamafish, see what she says. 

womenswisdom - totally hear you.  Now we need to find someone.  Our ped left town without telling her clients.  Called when we got back from the hospital and found out.  Now we are searching.

I still want you to see someone to rule anything else out.  However the alfalco is a 1x of alfalfa and you may just do fine with it instead of the herb.  I also think the arnica and the goldenseal powder will help things out.  Much love!

#9 of 9 Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 PM

You can get natural oral vitamin K here:

http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/itempage.asp?prodid=Vitamin+K+1+%28Vit+K+1+%29Oral+Vit+K

Expensive, but well worth it for your peace of mind. You would only need the smallest bottle.

I'm also wondering if she might have an umbilical granuloma. From a web page:

Quote:
If any tissue does not fully detach it can leave a small red, moist mass called an umbilical granuloma. These benign lesions are not apparent at birth, but usually appear shortly after the cord has separated and the extra granulation tissue remains.

My son had one and it was easily treated with plain old salt. It was gone in two days. Here is an article about it:

CURATIVE EFFECT OF COMMON SALT ON UMBILICAL GRANULOMA
M. R. Derakhshan
Department of Pediatrics, Hamadan University of Medical Sciences and Health Services, Hamadan, I.R. Iran
ABSTRACT Umbilical granuloma (UG) is a common lesion in the first few weeks of life. Its traditional therapy is topical application of silver nitrate stick. In this article the curative effect of common salt on UG is reported. The parents of fifty-eight infants with UG, were given instruction to treat their infant at home. The treatment consisted of application of common salt on the lesion twice a day, washed half hour later and repeated for three days. Fifty-two out of 58 cases had perfect cure after the three-day course of treatment. Relapses or complications were none. Six of the patients were lost to follow up. It is concluded that treatment of UG with common salt is simple, cost-effective, curative and safe.
Irn J Med Sci 1998; 23(3&4):132-133
Keywords ? Umbilical granuloma ? common salt ? silver nitrate
In 1972 Schmitt,10 in a very short note, described the shrinking effect of common salt on umbilical granuloma (UG). This observation has rarely made an appearance in subsequent medical literature, perhaps because in developed countries more advanced methods, such as electrical and cryocauterization are readily accessible, thus, obviating alternative methods of therapy.11 Cauterization with silver nitrate, which is the conventional method of treatment,7,9 involves the use of the special silver nitrate stick which is not always available in remote areas in developing countries. This study addresses the successful treatment of UG with common salt.
Fifty-eight cases of UG were enrolled into this study. The parents (mostly mothers) were asked to treat their babies at home by applying a pinch of common salt over the lesion for half an hour. Thereafter, the lesion would be cleansed using a cotton ball soaked in boiled water. The procedure was repeated twice a day for three consecutive days.
In three cases, the procedure was only carried out for one day, and no evidence of UG was apparent on the third day.
Thirty-nine of the patients were visited again within 31 days after completion of the therapy. Healing was complete in all patients. The parents of 10 cases were communicated by telephone. They also reported complete cure of the lesion.
The most common observation described by parents was the discharge of a cherry black secretion from the lesion on the first day of therapy, after which, frank shrinkage and gradual healing of the lesion was apparent, so that many of the parents did not feel it necessary to complete the recommended three day course of treatment.
No relapse or any complication was observed in 41 patients who were followed for a period of 14-20 months. Totally, six patients were missed in follow up.
Schmitt recommended the use of salt after cleansing the umbilicus with alcohol. The author's experience showed that instillation of alcohol prior to application of salt caused irritation and erythema of the surrounding normal skin and can be omitted in the management.
UG should be differentiated from other less common conditions. These mostly include patent urachus, omphalomesenteric duct and umbilical polyps. These conditions are relatively rare and few cases have been reported in medical literature in recent decades.1-3,5,8
Differentiation of these rare lesions from UG should not deter the physician from treating a doubtful case as UG, since failing to obtain the expected result might serve as a guide to the right diagnosis.1,2,6 Applications of silver nitrate twice weekly for one month clears up most UGs.6,7,9 Needless to say, therapy with silver nitrate should be performed by the physician, which is time consuming and may involve several visits, and is not free of complication.4
The curative mechanism of salt when used in the treatment of UG is thought to be through its desiccant effect and other biologic properties; the high concentration of sodium ion in the area draws water out of the cells and results in shrinkage and necrosis of the wet granulomatous tissue. However, this effect is not so powerful as to cause damage to the normal surrounding
cornified tissue when applied for a short treatment duration.

Retired Ohio midwife. Mama to my boy E, born 7/05

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page