Hand sanitizer at day care... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all! 

When I dropped my 2.5 yo off at day care this morning, there was a note in her box (and everyone else's) asking for permission to apply hand sanitizer to her upon arrival and 'as needed throughout the day'.  It was accompanied by a letter detailing what the center will be doing to combat cold and flu season, yadda yadda, and why the sanitizer was so important.

We're new to the big day care game...she's only been at this place a couple of weeks (and only goes two half-days a week).  Is this standard fare?  We will opt out as I think over zealous use of Purell, etc, is unwise, but I have a feeling we will be the only family doing so.  We already threw them for a loop with the vaccine issue - they literally have never had another child who was "off schedule".  

If they question us on it, I have no problems explaining my stance on it, but I'm curious to know if other day care centers and preschools are doing this as well.  Our's is a big chain...The Goddard School.  We chose it partly because it's just a short walk from our home, and so far she really loves it there, but we definitely seem to be the odd ducks in a very conventional pond.  Anyone else dealing with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 10:39 AM

We don't have experience with this ... my son's preschool is big on regular handwashing.  I am right with you on not using hand sanitizers regularly on kids.  One of my kids still regularly puts her fingers in her mouth, she doesn't need to be sucking on hand sanitzers.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

#3 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 AM

My daughter's preschool was big on handwashing.  The children were to wash their hands at the sink with soap and water first thing upon arriving at school, before they touched anything else in the room.  They washed again, as a class, before snack time.

Perhaps you could express concern about the alcohol in the sanitizers at the same time you offered to bring in a couple bottles of soap and paper towels.  

I would definitely be happy they were attempting to cut down on viruses in the classroom - my daughter got sick less in her four year old class last year than her brothers did in the 3rd and 4th grades.  

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#4 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 01:46 PM
HRJ

My son is in a Montessori age 3-6 program, and I asked if they could do hand sanitizer last year w/ H1N1, and the director told us that they weren't allowed to do so.  The health dept told them that as long as there were sinks in the classroom, handwashing was the preferred method, and that was what they were to practice.  They make the kids wash hands after bathroom, before eating, and after being outside. 

That said, I just found our local public school does not make the kids wash their hands AT ALL - not one time.  They go out on the playground and come in and eat snack in 1st grade.  So next year, I'll be sending Purrell alchohol wipes in his lunchbox. 

#5 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 01:48 PM
HRJ

Do your 3rd and 4th graders wash hands at school?  Just found out local public school doesn't (where DS will go next year).  I'm on my ear.  DS is not vaccinated, so we practice good hygenine. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teensy View Post

My daughter's preschool was big on handwashing.  The children were to wash their hands at the sink with soap and water first thing upon arriving at school, before they touched anything else in the room.  They washed again, as a class, before snack time.

Perhaps you could express concern about the alcohol in the sanitizers at the same time you offered to bring in a couple bottles of soap and paper towels.  

I would definitely be happy they were attempting to cut down on viruses in the classroom - my daughter got sick less in her four year old class last year than her brothers did in the 3rd and 4th grades.  

#6 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 02:17 PM

At all three of my daughter's schools, she has been asked to wash her hands upon entering, and they wash them before eating, after using the toilet, and whenever entering the school.

Wash with soap and warm water.  Sanitizer was an emergency thing as they do put their hands in their mouths.

However, I've read that it can be more effective in fighting germs, and I'll bet that's true as it's easier to get on and people are more likely to do it properly.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#7 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Ugh, need to figure out the quote thing, but:

No, unfortunately, the elementary school doesn't really have hand washing as a part of their routine at all.  Which I am sure is part of the reason the older kids caught several bugs last year, while my preschooler was almost never sick.  

The elementary school doesn't even have warm water in the bathrooms, which really stinks in winter when the cold water is really cold.  Doesn't exactly promote the whole scrub for 30 seconds to prevent the spread of germs.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#8 of 9 Old 11-16-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, ladies!

The handwashing thing is what really had me scratching my head about it all.  The school does ask that kids wash their hands when they come in, and the kids in my daughter's small class room (~10 kids at most) have open access to 3 sinks at all times.  They're actually really great about hand washing at this place.  But it was curious to me why they'd want to apply the hand sanitizer on arrival just after they've washed their hands.

I'm not opposed to Purell, etc, but I like it when it's appropriate.  I think using it so routinely, so often, when there's a sink just steps away is a bit much.  If we're always killing off all of the weak germs, then only the big nasties will be left to get us all sick.  winky.gif

#9 of 9 Old 11-17-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrymeflyfree View Post
I'm not opposed to Purell, etc, but I like it when it's appropriate.  I think using it so routinely, so often, when there's a sink just steps away is a bit much.  

I wonder if it is a convenience thing?  If they are asking permission to use purell not in addition to handwashing, but so they can replace the need to take each kid up to the sink to properly wash their hands?

Hand sanitizer is quick and easy, properly washing their hands takes a lot longer.  Looking it from the staff's viewpoint, it would be a lot more efficient for one person to walk around with a bottle of hand sanitizer than to get each child up to the sink to soap up.

WAHM to a toddler, preschooler, and kindergarten student. 
:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page