How long do I need to feel 100% before surgery? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-16-2010, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm starting to freak out.  :(  I go for my gallbladder removal in 2 weeks and I'm still coughing up a LOT of crap in the mornings.  During the day my coughs are getting less and less, but the morning I gag and gag from all the yucky stuff.  I go for my pre-surgical appointment today but i'm scared to tell them that I have a cold in case they cancel my surgery and put my back on the 2-3 month wait list.  I can tell my lung function isn't up to par because I get winded going up a flight of stairs in the morning, but by afternoon I am generally ok.  How much time should I feel 100% better before going under general anesthetic?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 01:25 PM

If you're having respiratory issues you should let the doctor know. You're intubated during general anesthesia and if you are compromised you may have a hard time coming off the ventilator. 

Old 11-16-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

I had my pre-op screening appointment today and the anesthesiologist said it was ok.  I get called with my surgery time on the 29th and if I am still sick then, they will cancel, but today I actually feel really good!  Not 100% but pretty darn close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by not now View Post

If you're having respiratory issues you should let the doctor know. You're intubated during general anesthesia and if you are compromised you may have a hard time coming off the ventilator. 

Old 11-17-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

So i just got called by the hospital and my surgery got bumped forward to next Tuesday.  I am breathing fine out of my nose and mouth.  I am still coughing

a little bit, but (sorry TMI) it's really boogery.  Yuck.  Nothing coming up from my lungs, just feels like stuff is getting stuck between my nose and mouth.

I'm going to pick up some emergen-c or airborne and keep doing what I'm doing.  Hope all is well in 6 days!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM

Wow! I'm sorry this cold is stressing you out (I think you'll be fine during the surgery - I had a cold during the surgery which didn't cause any problems but coughing after the surgery was a little uncomfortable. Not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be but I definitely found myself hesitating to cough out of fear it would hurt) but it will be nice to have the surgery done and over with so that you can begin to feel so much better.

User Tag List