Pre-menstrual rage issues - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a 13 month old & a 2.5 year old. I recognized my rage issues a while ago. When my period came back a few months after DS1 was born, the rage began. I was put on Zoloft temporarily. It helped a little. When I found out I was preggo w/#2, I sought therapy. I stayed on the Zoloft (prescribed by the OB, not the therapist) for longer after DS2.

And then it dawned on me. I feel normal 2 weeks out of the month. I can gently discipline & playfully parent with the best of them. But come a week or so before my period, I am a monster. And then I live with guilt & depression right up until it finally arrives.

Has anyone had this experience? Are we talking hormonal imbalance? Is there any remedy that doesn't involve taking a pill every day? For the record, I'm nearly 40 years old, so I want to avoid taking the pill, as I know there is one that claims to help with this sort of thing.

Also, I workout 5 days a week & eat a predominantly whole-foods diet rich in nutrient dense meals.

It's not helping.

#2 of 27 Old 11-24-2010, 05:48 AM

I don't really have a lot of advice but I do have a similar issue. For me just realizing that it's there and when I need to be more careful about my behavior helps a lot. When I can feel myself getting very upset I can usually tell myself I need to step out for a minute. It helps me to step back in the moment and realize that the yogurt all over the table (and the floor, and my son) is really not that big of a deal and it only feels like a big deal because of my hormones.

#3 of 27 Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 AM

I'm there as well. I did the diet, stepping back and breathing, trying for perspective, nutritional supplements, counseling, the works. Maybe it's not "crunchy," but what it came down to for me was medication. If you're not talking a little cranky, having a bad day here and there -- if you're talking RAGE -- then that's more along the lines of PMDD than PMS. And for me, medication was a necessary part of the equation. It's taken a couple cycles to really kick in, but it's made a huge difference.

#4 of 27 Old 11-24-2010, 06:08 AM

I tried everything, from changing my diet (no caffine, fish oil, all the things they say you should do) and tons of exercise.  I tried prozac two weeks out of every month (which helped) and finally as a last resort I went back on the pill (the daily, have a period every three months kind). After two and a half years of trying everything, I went back on birth control.  The pill truly works the best for me, though I don't enjoy being on it.  I'm actually not taking it right now to see if things are better and I can stop taking it.  

I hope you find something that works, it's so damn hard when it's completely out of your control.

#5 of 27 Old 11-24-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

After I posted this, it dawned on me that what I might be experiencing is, in fact, PMDD. I read a Washington Post article about it here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/21/AR2010062104097.html And holy moly does a lot of it describe what I experience, especially the "foggy," and "anti-social" feelings.

I am glad to hear a positive report, Mamalisa, on the Serafem (that Prozac dose to which you refer.) I intend to ask my doctor for this & hope that it works. I do not want to have to take something every day.

MBHF: I wish I could take myself out of the situation, but it overtakes ME. I feel, well, out of control. And I KNOW it's happening WHILE it's happening. It's horrible.

Thanks, mamas, for your input.

#6 of 27 Old 11-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post

I'm there as well. I did the diet, stepping back and breathing, trying for perspective, nutritional supplements, counseling, the works. Maybe it's not "crunchy," but what it came down to for me was medication. If you're not talking a little cranky, having a bad day here and there -- if you're talking RAGE -- then that's more along the lines of PMDD than PMS. And for me, medication was a necessary part of the equation. It's taken a couple cycles to really kick in, but it's made a huge difference.

Me too.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#7 of 27 Old 11-28-2010, 03:58 PM

Have you had your hormone levels checked? I went through allot of what you are describing. I loved my family, and my life two weeks out of the month. The other two weeks, well......

I did a TON of research on Estrogen Dominance, Every resource I found, I had every single symptom on the list! Argh, I found a good Bio-identical progesterone supplement and it made a HUGE difference. I started to feel better within a few days of doing the supplementation. I recommend Emerita Pro Gest or the one I am using now I like better Gentle Pharmacy Clear Patch Natural Progesterone. If you try this, MAKE SURE you get a supplement that is bio-identical. Wild Yam cream won't do the job, though the person at the health store might tell you so. In any case, I hear you Mama. I've been there. Hope you feel better soon!hug.gif

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#8 of 27 Old 11-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

OMG... I had WICKED PMDD.  Like "leaving my family, driving 3 hours away and divorcing my husband" PMDD.  Know what cured it?  MDC.  So help me, I can't remember what forum  (ETA: Here's the thread in Health & Healing's Mental Health forum--where I went in desperation), but they pointed me to VITAMIN B6.  I already took fish oil and had an awesome diet.  But they had me take a B-complex in the morning (to ensure that all of the "uptake" stuff I needed was there, and then another B6 supplement so that my total combined B6 was 150mg/day for the first 2 weeks and 200mg/day for the second two weeks.

Seriously--nobody was more stunned than I was that this stupid little supplement fixed such a debilitating problem.  My husband works at home and if not for that flexibility, I have no idea how we'd have gotten through it.  But the very first month was NOTICEABLY better and I didn't even start on day 1 of the first month.  And actually, most people only take 150mg the entire month.  I take Solgar (you can get them pretty much anywhere) B-complex and then Solgar B6 before bed.

I would urge you to try this.  The difference was (and remains) profound.  And before I actually HAD PMDD, I (silently and to myself, lest I offend someone) seriously thought PMDD was a complete farce.  Funny how life bites you in the butt like that--right?

I will figure out what forum that had the ongoing PMDD thread with the other things that women had tried, but I would definitely get some B-Complex & B6 and get it in you immediately. I'm not completely anti-drug; but if this can work...

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#9 of 27 Old 11-29-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post

OMG... I had WICKED PMDD.  Like "leaving my family, driving 3 hours away and divorcing my husband" PMDD.  Know what cured it?  MDC.  So help me, I can't remember what forum  (ETA: Here's the thread in Health & Healing's Mental Health forum--where I went in desperation), but they pointed me to VITAMIN B6.  I already took fish oil and had an awesome diet.  But they had me take a B-complex in the morning (to ensure that all of the "uptake" stuff I needed was there, and then another B6 supplement so that my total combined B6 was 150mg/day for the first 2 weeks and 200mg/day for the second two weeks.

Seriously--nobody was more stunned than I was that this stupid little supplement fixed such a debilitating problem.  My husband works at home and if not for that flexibility, I have no idea how we'd have gotten through it.  But the very first month was NOTICEABLY better and I didn't even start on day 1 of the first month.  And actually, most people only take 150mg the entire month.  I take Solgar (you can get them pretty much anywhere) B-complex and then Solgar B6 before bed.

I would urge you to try this.  The difference was (and remains) profound.  And before I actually HAD PMDD, I (silently and to myself, lest I offend someone) seriously thought PMDD was a complete farce.  Funny how life bites you in the butt like that--right?

I will figure out what forum that had the ongoing PMDD thread with the other things that women had tried, but I would definitely get some B-Complex & B6 and get it in you immediately. I'm not completely anti-drug; but if this can work...

Oh! Thanks so much. And "wicked" is an appropriate word. My behavior/thoughts are stunning, and I am with you on the preconceived notion of PMDD. I'm usually skeptical about such diagnoses, feel that things like depression & anxiety are WAY over diagnosed, so PMDD never even crossed my mind until I started typing this thread.

Thanks for the tip. I shall run out for some Solgar TODAY. And yes, I just discovered the PMDD thread last night. Thanks for the direct link.

#10 of 27 Old 11-29-2010, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlucca View Post

Have you had your hormone levels checked? I went through allot of what you are describing. I loved my family, and my life two weeks out of the month. The other two weeks, well......

I did a TON of research on Estrogen Dominance, Every resource I found, I had every single symptom on the list! Argh, I found a good Bio-identical progesterone supplement and it made a HUGE difference. I started to feel better within a few days of doing the supplementation. I recommend Emerita Pro Gest or the one I am using now I like better Gentle Pharmacy Clear Patch Natural Progesterone. If you try this, MAKE SURE you get a supplement that is bio-identical. Wild Yam cream won't do the job, though the person at the health store might tell you so. In any case, I hear you Mama. I've been there. Hope you feel better soon!hug.gif

My doctor appointment is scheduled for tomorrow. I intend to request a hormone level check. May I ask how you approach finding a "good Bio-identical supplement?" I'll do some further research myself, but anything you can point me towards is appreciated. As is your input - thanks for your response, tjlucca.

#11 of 27 Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 PM

Both the supplements that I listed are available on Amazon, or if you live near a Whole Foods, they carry the Pro Gest. Though I would recommend the one I am using now (Gentle Pharmacy Clear Patch Natural Progesterone) as the hormone is more consistently distributed throughout the medium (lotion, or sunflower oil). In any case, both are bio-identical. Your doctor can prescribe one too, but it will contain parabens, which I would stay away from, as they are carcinogenic. Remember that cortisol (the stress hormone) will fill the receptor sites for Progesterone whether your body makes it or you supplement it, so try to minimize stress as much as you can to get the best result from your efforts. Best luck to you Mama!! thumb.gif

namaste.gif WAHSM to Ani (7) and Juddah (18mo.)

homebirth.jpggoorganic.jpgintactivist.gifwave.giflactivist.gif

#12 of 27 Old 11-30-2010, 07:19 AM

I should note that I DID try progesterone cream (and spent a fortune to ensure I had a good one and put it in all the right places) but it didn't really work for me.  I did suspect hormone levels being off because I have an insulin disorder (way too much of it--mis- and undiagnosed for 17 years because they kept checking my sugar! >:(  ) and it threw off my hormone levels (discovered after a few miscarriages because I started the whole baby thing older--when more damage had been done).  So I knew that the tendency was there, but it didn't do anything for me.  :/  

Good to get hormone levels checked overall.  My insulin problem cause YEARS of intermittent (but severe) depression that medicine rarely got completely under control (ummm... because it wasn't a depression problem caused by my neurology!!!!).  Had someone done a fasting insulin level on me 17 years earlier, I probably would never have had to endure what I did for so long.

Granted, it wasn't the source of my PMDD, but if you're going and getting bloodwork done... might as well get everything checked.

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

#13 of 27 Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 AM

I am right where you are. 

I wanted to  point out that you could very well be perimenopausal.  I know I am, but am looking more into adrenal fatigue to help my issues.  That, along with prog. cream (like pp mentioned) and the b vits too.  (thanks pp!)

Being perimenopausal will cause that rage, and also the fogginess, and a whole host of other issues. I'm 38 and thought I was too young until I realized my mom had her last menstrual cycle at 44.

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#14 of 27 Old 12-06-2010, 02:56 PM

I didn't read the other posters, but I wanted to say that I have PMDD too.  With lots of exercise...ya know, the nice sweaty heart thumping kind + lots of rest and curbing my sugars, I feel almost normal when I used to feel the RAGE.  I'm sorry you're dealing with this mama, it's hard :(

lady.gifLacey, wife to an emerging author notes.gif,  mama to whistling.gif(6),bikenew.gif(4),  angel1.gif our Angel Faith born to Heaven April 2013 & Expecting our Rainbow Baby #4 July 2014 luxlove.gif 
#15 of 27 Old 12-07-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidge View Post

I didn't read the other posters, but I wanted to say that I have PMDD too.  With lots of exercise...ya know, the nice sweaty heart thumping kind + lots of rest and curbing my sugars, I feel almost normal when I used to feel the RAGE.  I'm sorry you're dealing with this mama, it's hard :(

Thanks so much. Since October, I work out vigorously 4-5 days a week. I even participate in a boot camp at my gym a few days out of the month. I've lost the baby weight, feel stronger physically & am happy I did it. But it hasn't helped my symptoms much. I feel better for, like, a minute when the endorphins are dancing around right after my workout, but the "darkness" returns soon after. I've always been a healthy eater. I curbed my sugar intake significantly a few months before I started my workout regimen, where I kicked gluten, refined sugar, etc. 

You are right on the sleep note, however. Unfortunately, both my boys are horrendous sleepers. I am also still nursing the 14-month-old. So these two factors, I suspect, are contributing to my state of mind.

Doc has confirmed PMDD. Hormone test pending.

Thanks, mamas, for all your input. Comfort really does come in numbers.

#16 of 27 Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 PM

I take zoloft for pmdd, and it really helps.

#17 of 27 Old 12-14-2010, 07:39 PM

I had at least 7-10 days of uncontrollable rage before my period started.  I started taking magnesium and a b complex, along with my fish oil and getting more exercise.  I feel like a different person.  It has done wonders for my overall well-being.  Good luck finding your answer.  It is absolute hell.

#18 of 27 Old 12-15-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

I've been taking a 50mg dose of B6 & kicked the one cup of coffee I have in a day. It has helped in an indescribable way. I can't believe the difference.

#19 of 27 Old 12-15-2010, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore35 View Post

I take zoloft for pmdd, and it really helps.

The zoloft makes me dizzy. I tried it post-partum for a little while, but it doesn't agree with me.

#20 of 27 Old 12-16-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeezMom View Post

I've been taking a 50mg dose of B6 & kicked the one cup of coffee I have in a day. It has helped in an indescribable way. I can't believe the difference.

joy.gif   

Are you taking the B6 straight?  Or as part of a B-complex with the uptake portions?  I never tried it any other way.

Isn't it insane?  I was drop-dead stunned.  Welcome to recovery!

#21 of 27 Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Moving this to Health and Healing.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#22 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 PM

I used to have extreme rage every day, not just the week before my period. I tried everything...accupuncture, eating right, excercise 3-4 days per week. I even got certified as a Reiki Master and practiced on myself daily. NOTHING seemed to curb the rage. Finally, four years after having my twin girls, I reluctantly tried Zoloft and I mean RELUCTUNTLY. I was on it for almost 2 years. It helped, but there were a few problems. First of all, I gained at least 20 pounds right away. Secondly, my sex drive went from about 2 to negative 0!!! Third, I felt tired ALL the time. I couldn't get enough sleep. All those side effects AND the fact that most of the time you need to keep uping your dose for it to continue to work the way it needs to, led me to quit the medication. Don't get me wrong, it worked. I didn't feel like I wanted to kill someone anymore. The problem were the side effects. I just knew I couldn't continue living that way for the rest of my life. I asked the doctor, "What happens when I get to the highest dose?" He let me know that we just change medications. That sealed it for me. I decided to slowly wean myself off Zoloft(you never want to quit that medication cold turkey) .

After I was completely off, the rage started to return. I knew there had to be another way. Something was wrong in either my brain, my body or both! On a whim, I searched the internet. I typed in: rage and gluten. Many stories showed up that described my situation. What made me decide to ask about the gluten connection? Well...you hear so much about gluten affecting so many parts of your body nowadays, I thought...what the heck!!!

I've been gluten free since January 2010. It really has changed my life. I urge you to at least TRY this. I don't really miss the cookies, cake, brownies and bread, since I can still eat chocolate, POTATO chips, rice and french fries, just to list a few. I started by printing off a list of foods/chemicals/etc... that I can eat and those that I were not allowed (google it). I took that list to the grocery store with me until I started to memorize the foods/chemicals I was not allowed. I check ingredient labels on EVERYTHING. It takes about 3 months for the gluten to completely leave your body. If I accidentally have gluten, I notice within 1-2 days (irritablity) and then it takes about 3 days for the effects to wear off.

Something else you need to keep in mind...this doesn't help the week before my period. I still feel like I want to hurt someone during that time. I'm talking about extreme cases. I felt like that every minute of every day without a break. The gluten free has helped me become a pretty normal woman, only feeling the anger/irritablity the week before my period now.

The reason I'm writing today is to ask about the lady that talked about getting hormone levels checked. During my "tried everything" phase, I WANTED to get my levels checked. I BEGGED my doctor to check my levels. I've had many doctors, men AND women. None of them would check my levels. They tried to tell me, "We just don't DO that anymore because it's so subjective. Everyone's baseline is so different." I tried to reason with them that if they got a baseline on me, then they could check me later and see if they changed and how my mood was. They gave me an answer that I did NOT understand. It was long and drawn out and I felt helpless at the time. Anyway, my question is, "Was that a regular OBGYN that you got your hormone levels checked at or was it a homeopathic OB? What are the exact words you asked them?"

I've definitely had my thyroid checked every year. I also tried to convince them I was going into pre-menopause, but they wouldn't test me because I didn't have enough other symptoms. My other question is for the B6 vitamin lady. Did you need to go to the doctor to figure out exactly what dose you needed? Also, is it in pill form?

Thank you for your time.

Yvonne

#23 of 27 Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM

I went to the health food store and asked for a bottle of B complex vitamins : ) Then I followed the instructions on the label.  I have been on at least three different brands and they all helped.  Magnesium was also super important in feeling better.

#24 of 27 Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 PM

I had the same problem after baby number 2 (and it got worse when I stopped taking a progesterone only birth control pill).  I felt terrible about myself, and was really ashamed.  I learned many years later that our hormones are a system and when one is off, it will cause others to be off as well.  I had my thyroid hormone levels checked, and learned I had hypothyroid.  I also learned I was deficient in my absorption of B12.  After being treated for both of these conditions, I never once had another episode of pmdd or rage.  Thank God.  I only regret that so many years went by before figuring it out.  Ask your general practitioner to check your tsh and B12 levels.  It might be the answer.

#25 of 27 Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM

Zeez mom - I'm so grateful to have found this post.  I have been struggling with pre-menstrual rage since the birth of my son.  He is three years old now and I am only just really start to accept it.  I have been racked with guilt and shame ever since and not wanting to admit it fully to myself - but I can no longer pretend it is not a problem. I realize that you posted this two years ago and I am wondering how it all worked out for you and what, if anything helped?  I need help!  I am bawling as i write this after totally losing it on my son today - poor thing.  It's like there is a part of me buried deep within that is just begging me to stop but the rage is boiling over.  I never physically hurt my son - but I yell at him, try to control and intimidate him and even grab him and carry him (in anger) to where I want him to be if he is not obeying me.  I am so disgusted and ashamed - it is like a monster comes alive in me and takes over my body.  I need help!

#26 of 27 Old 12-18-2012, 10:18 AM

Have you made any diet changes that are good for helping PMDD? Cutting sugar and caffeine (as hard as that may be) can really help. There are more suggestions in this article: Natural Treatment for PMDD. For me, I found that diet made a HUGE difference! 

#27 of 27 Old 10-21-2013, 01:33 PM

I can relate to what is happening to you, 3 to 4 days before my period I feel very depressed and angry  and I get severe headaches, I get a bit scared and confused because I just cannot understand what is going on, the doctor gave me untistress pills, which seems to be not working because they make me more tired and more depressed. I also got the mirena put in, because after my second baby my period was coming every 15 days, which as you can imagine it was drving me crazy, the mirena helped in the first year and a half but now my period the being funny again, so I decided to ha hormonal tests, so maybe I can finally figure out why I get so enraged before I get my period.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page