Tell me the evils of sugar . . . - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-11-2002, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please help! Dh and I are trying desperately to get off sugar -- we are simple carb junkies! We know white sugar and refined flour are trouble, but we need scare tactics. Help us please!!! We know what they do to our systems but need all the yucky stories. Don't spare a single grim detail -- our bodies thank you!
#2 of 4 Old 05-14-2002, 03:39 AM

There's a book called "Sugar Blues" by William Duffy....I haven't read it, and am not at all sure about his sources, but there are quotes from it in one of my cookbooks, and it will definately scare you.

The best section is too long to quote, but basically your body pulls minerals from your bones to metabolize the sugar, weakening them and since you are eating so much sugar, you are not eating nourishing whole foods, so you are continually depleting your body resulting in lowered immunity, overtaxed adrenals, and eventually death, I guess.

But, you know, there are sugars you can use (sucanat comes to mind) that still have some nutrients in them, so if you make your own desserts like oatmeal cookies with dried fruit, and whole grains, and nuts and things, you can get your buzz and still feel good about yourselves. Probably more effective than going cold-turkey anyway.

I'd be much more concerned about cutting out white flour and white sugar, than sweets in general.....

scare tactics: how about heart disease, arteriosclerosis, some kinds of diabetes, and lowered resistance to just about everything.....
#3 of 4 Old 05-14-2002, 11:15 AM

go to www.mercola.com and just search his web site.
tons of info

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#4 of 4 Old 05-17-2002, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the references Hera and valeria_vi. Most of the main stream publications I have looked at focus more on cutting out sugar as a tool for dieting for weight-loss -- which is fine, but not the whole picture.

Does anyone know anything about cooking with stevia? (I believe it is a herb that can be used as a natural sweetener). Thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page