Incubation Period for a Staph Infection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out that the bumps that my stepson had in his diaper area when we picked him up this last weekend (his Mom said he had a reaction to an off brand of diapers) is actually a staph infection - I think she said folliculitus. I know staph is one of those things that's always around, but aren't you more likely to get it from someone with an active infection? My son and stepson are toddlers and share lots of germs. If my son was going to "catch" the infection how long before he would show signs?

Thank you for any responses!  smile.gif

I'm a mother to one, stepmother to one and wife to my one.
#2 of 4 Old 11-25-2010, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Crickets chirping . . .

#3 of 4 Old 11-26-2010, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

In case anyone else is curious, I found the answer to my own question in the Public Health Agency of Canada's website here. It states:

"INCUBATION PERIOD: Variable and indefinite, commonly 4-10 days; disease may not occur until several months after colonization; interval between eating food and onset of symptoms is usually 2-4 hours (30 min to 8 hours)"

Thanks for reading!

#4 of 4 Old 11-26-2010, 04:59 AM

I am by no means an expert on this, but my understanding is that some people can be 'carriers' of staph and can hold the infection indefinitely in a dormant state, and it is possible that they could infect others at any time. That person could show symptoms shortly or could also hold the infection in a dormant state which could flare up at any time.

My BIL is a carrier, and my DH had to stay away from him the whole time he was on chemo and radiation because the risk of an infection was so high. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page