4mo old with RSV and ear infection, please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-25-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just took my 4mo dd to dr. yesterday because her cough she had for almost a week has gotten worse (she was starting to wheeze also) and he said she more than likely had RSV and that her ear looked worse and i should tx with antibiotics (she was also seen on Monday). They also gave me a nebulizer and abuterol tx for the cough/wheezing. She seems to be doing better today, but is not taking her antibiotic very well. She keeps spitting it back out.

Is there anything else I can use to help her ear infection rather than resorting to systemic antibiotics?

What else might help her cough/wheezing? The abuterol seems to be wiring her up so that she is unable to sleep well at times. I have been using a vaporizor at night which seems to help some.

Also, I am sick as well. Not taking any meds, just dealing with it and taking about 2000mg of vit. C a day. Any other suggestions?

TIA for any help or suggestion!

married to my sweetheart 12yrs, semi-crunchy mommy to three very attached girls (dd1-3/30/05, dd2 born at 28wks-9/20/07), and dd3 born at home-8/3/10)
#2 of 3 Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For you I'd take a lot more than 2,000 mg of vit C unless that's already causing loose stools/diarrhea.  Most people need a lot more than that when they're sick and I found that if I took a ton--consider closer to 20,000 mg, maybe more, the amount needed is pretty individual--it was enough to really reduce the symptoms of my son's colds (when he was exclusively breastfed, when he started solids I had to give vitC to him directly).  You may also want to supplement either zinc or D for yourself--even in fairly high amounts, it's not likely to change the amount in your milk but it wouldn't cause problems for your LO and the better you support yourself, the sooner your body produces antibodies to this.  I can't advise how to modify the meds your LO's on.  I don't have any experience with nebulizers. 

I can say that a fair number of people have good results treating ear infections with structural work--a chiropractor or someone who does cranial-sacral if you can find one, but at-home massage helped with my son's ear infection last year.  Long strokes behind the ear, starting at the top of the ear down, through the dip behind the earlobe, then down to the collarbone.  Also long strokes starting at various points in the middle of the face--forehead, sides of the nose, under the nose and at the chin--each time out to the edge of the face, then turn down and stroke all the way to the collarbone.  And to help the eustachian tubes drain, gentle tugs on the earlobe down and back. 

Onion juice in the ear also is supposed to help, my son just didn't want any liquids at all in his ear so I have no idea if what little I got in did anything. 

For a cough my daughter had this past spring, our DO did, and recommended I do, a rib-lifting exercise (not sure if that's a great description).  I was to hold her torso near the bottom of her ribs and lift her up--not squeezing or anything, just gently pick her up and set her down, then move my hands up a rib or so and repeat, and do that up to about her armpits.  She coughed more afterward for the remainder of the day but it seemed like it was finally productive, her lungs were getting cleared out better, and it seemed helpful for her getting well.  My daughter's older, she's 6, but it's pretty gentle. 

Hope your LO and you start feeling better soon.

#3 of 3 Old 11-26-2010, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would say if you've already started the abx, you don't want to stop - even if it's not going in well (use a syringe squirt to the back of the cheek little bits at time) You definitely don't want to create drug resistant bacteria.

We've always done garlic oil in the ear with success - though I've heard onion juice too. You can get the garlic oil at any health food store. Only if the eardrum is intact of course.

Good luck, hope all is well soon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page