I think 18 month old DS has whooping cough - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-28-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS2 and I got sick about a month ago with what seemed like a normal bug (low fever, runny nose, congestion) but about 2 weeks ago he started coughing. Up until now he's only had coughing spasms when he lays down for nap and bedtime, but the past 2 days he's been coughing during the day as well. He coughs so much that it sounds like he's going to throw up but he doesn't seem to have the "whoop" sound which I know is common. I just listened to the whooping cough sound videos and it sounds exactly like him. I want to take him to the doctor tomorrow to see if I can get it confirmed, although I won't give him antibiotics if they're prescribed.

So what should my plan of action be? I have Source Naturals sodium ascorbate powder, Carlson vitamin D drops (2000 IU), Nordic Naturals cod liver oil, probiotics (Culturelle and Nature's Way Optima) and Spectrum flaxseed oil in the house. I've been trying to give him SA (about 3/4 tsp twice a day) mixed in his yogurt and applesauce but I think he needs more. We just moved into a new house a few days ago and it's been crazy and he didn't get any at all yesterday. He's never had juice before, but maybe I should let him have some mixed with SA so he'll get more in his system. He's still nursing non-stop as well. Would me taking SA help as well (will it get in my milk)? I'm still a little sick and have a slight cough too so it wouldn't hurt.

What else should I be giving him or doing? I've been running the warm mist humidifier in his room when he sleeps. Is warm mist good or should it be cool mist? Any other advice?

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#2 of 4 Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?????

I took ds to the dr today and showed her the video of him coughing and she thought it looked like whooping cough. I had her do the cultures which will take 3 and 10 days for the results.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
Mom to Conner (8/19/03) and Parker (5/23/09)::::
#3 of 4 Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)

The "i'm not vaccinating" board often has threads about this. I have no experience with it, but I've read "sodium ascorbate to bowel tolerance" so.many.times. Maybe ask over there? Good luck!!

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#4 of 4 Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM

sorry you're having to deal with this :(  subbing as it's really on my mind.  I've got the SA.  I've heard to bowel tolerance, too.  I don't know exactly how frequently to give it, though, in order to figure that out.  hugs!

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page