4 month old and seizures - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-28-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

anyone have any experience or heard about babies having seizures? My almost 4 month old had 9 seizures  in a 5 day period and was admitted to the hospital a week ago.  we are home now:) and she's doing well- no seizures.  she is on medication and we go meet with the neurologist tomorrow  to go over more test results.  All the test results we received at the hospital were normal.  We do have a history in our family- my other daughter had similar thing happen- 4 months old seizures- on medication but has not had any in 4 years.  I guess i am trying to see if anyone out there experienced this too.  My 1st daughter had immunizations 2 weeks before.  of course Dr said this was not a reason.  (yet they held off doing vaccines for awhile since fevers are a side effect which in turn can cause seizure) my baby now had 1 vaccine- DTAP- about 6 weeks prior to her seizures.   Just throwing this out there as many believe vaccines are not that safe- I too am wary of them.  Any thoughts? otherwise normal, healthy babies no problems in utero. thanks Kelly

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Banned

Hi mama! Just wanted to offer hugs and support. DD had a febrile seizure at around that age due to a virus. She only had one but it was the scariest f-ing thing ever! I can't imagine going through several! We only do one vax at a time and didn't feel her seizure was related but did take caution with further vax by delaying then even further. We were told she would outgrow them and (knock on wood) she hasn't had any more.
I hope you are able to learn more tomorrow. Feel free to give an update.
#3 of 5 Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 PM

These were febrile seizures? If that's the case then no I don't think the vaccines had anything to do with them. Hugs to you. That has to be incredibly scary.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 5 Old 11-29-2010, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

sorry, should have mentioned these were not febrile seizures.  they aren' t sure what caused them.  Thanks though for your well wishes and support.

#5 of 5 Old 11-29-2010, 08:54 PM

my dd1 has seizures due to celiac. if she eats gluten, she has a horrific seizure.  once we figured this out, we have been slowly weaning her off trileptal (which wasn't doing anything to stop them anyway) what kind of seizures does she have? if she has complex partial seizures, i woul dget them tested for celiac, or take all wheat out of her diet (and yours if you are breastfeeding).  blood tests for celiac are very unreliable in young kids.

i have found in my own research, that nuerologists in the states are more concerned with finding drugs to stop the seizures than with trying to figure out the underlying causes.  Italy and Iran were the only countries that had any published journal articles on celiac and epilepsy, and though both studies that i read strongly urged docs to test for celiac if there are comlex partial seizures. dd's nuerologists totally had no clue about it.  so, if you are able to research stuff, i would start looking outside the U.S. for research.

do your daughters have the same kind of seizures?  there are a lot of benign childhood epilepsys that are genetic and if dd1 grew out of them there is a good chance dd2 will as well.  what else do you know about her seizures? 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page