Naturopath wants me to stop Nettles infusion while breatfeeding. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been seeing a new naturopath for the last few months and I have had tons of sucess.  When I first was going, she asked me to stop nettles infusions until I wean my nursing ds.  She said it was too detoxing.  I don't know what to think as it was what I was using for my daily minerals, vitamins and energy.  I just don't feel the same without it.  Any thoughts?

#2 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 AM

How's Ds acting? If all seems fine I would continue plus haven't you been doing nettles for a long time and it makes you feel good I wouldn't worry about it.

#3 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ds is doing really well. But that is since we started seeing this naturopath, AND stopped drinking nettles. I had a great high, but with the summer end and not much good fresh food around, I am nmissing good green food.  I never considered nettles a very cleansing herb, but I want to trust the naturopath since she helped us great so far.

#4 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 01:13 PM

I've NEVER heard an herbalist tell a nursing mama to go off of it (unless there were complications with kidneys or heart.)

Here's a bit by Susan Weed...just scroll down.

http://www.healing-wise.com/childbearing-Diet.htm

You couldn't have paid me to go off of it while nursing, personally.

#5 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

Ds is doing really well. But that is since we started seeing this naturopath, AND stopped drinking nettles. I had a great high, but with the summer end and not much good fresh food around, I am nmissing good green food.  I never considered nettles a very cleansing herb, but I want to trust the naturopath since she helped us great so far.

it is a fairly cleansing herb...but it depends largely on what she's seeing.  IN situations like this it's best to communicate with your care provider.  We don't know what she's doing, nor do we have your history.  If you trust her-continue to do so and communicate this to her.  Maybe she'll allow a certain amount, or have a suggestion better suited to you. 

A_Random_Phrase likes this.
#6 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for the link, PB.  I really feel way better with nettles infusions, but my naturopath, who is an herbalist on the side but not really practicing, says that nettles is so cleansing to the liver and I am so toxic that I will dump loads to my son via breastmilk.  How cleansing is nettles?  I tried explaining that it is my main source of minerals, and she said bone broth is better, and that I would be doing my son harm to drink nettles from the cleansing effect.  She basically said no herbs at all only the ocasionally green herb sparingly in a salad.  She also said she cannot fully deal with my health issues and lyme until I wean my son, since I am so toxic.  I have been using bone broth, but I am so sick of it and it is making me want to throw up looking at it now.  And you know bone broth isn't the same as nettles nutrient comparison.

#7 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 04:14 PM

If she can't give you some facts and figures on exactly what you're passing into your breastmilk, how her treatments would cause those substances to pass into your milk, and in what quantities it would do enough harm to your son to outweigh the benefits of BFing, I'd stop seeing her or insist that she find a way to work around your use of nettle. Nothing she's saying to you sounds like anything I have ever heard a practicing herbalist (and I am close with several) espouse. 

Quote:

Wow, thanks for the link, PB.  I really feel way better with nettles infusions, but my naturopath, who is an herbalist on the side but not really practicing, says that nettles is so cleansing to the liver and I am so toxic that I will dump loads to my son via breastmilk.  How cleansing is nettles?  I tried explaining that it is my main source of minerals, and she said bone broth is better, and that I would be doing my son harm to drink nettles from the cleansing effect.  She basically said no herbs at all only the ocasionally green herb sparingly in a salad.  She also said she cannot fully deal with my health issues and lyme until I wean my son, since I am so toxic.  I have been using bone broth, but I am so sick of it and it is making me want to throw up looking at it now.  And you know bone broth isn't the same as nettles nutrient comparison.

#8 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynsage View Post

If she can't give you some facts and figures on exactly what you're passing into your breastmilk, how her treatments would cause those substances to pass into your milk, and in what quantities it would do enough harm to your son to outweigh the benefits of BFing, I'd stop seeing her or insist that she find a way to work around your use of nettle. Nothing she's saying to you sounds like anything I have ever heard a practicing herbalist (and I am close with several) espouse. 

I have seen some amazing results in the 3 months I have seen her, and changes I never thought I would see.  I was basically allergic to everything, and I would have terrible histamine reactions to all foods.  Gluten was even out.  Now I can have spelt, and can have nuts as I couldn't ever have any without serious stomach pain.  And my kids are seeing similar changes too.  So she is very good in some areas, and I do respect and value her side of caution, as I have had many natural doctors in the past have no caution of the toxins past to the breastmilk.  My son was almost ready to be hospitalized when he was a few months old from the carelessness of a natural doctor.  This naturopath wont even give any supplments as she only works by energy work.  Her main line of work is the energy work and not really herbalism so from that I wonder if she knows much about nettles. 

#9 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:

I think it's a matter of opinion.  I am of the opinion that this is a non-issue.  I also feel that the action isn't all that directly on the liver as with other herbs.  It's mainly nutritive and supportive where the liver's concerned.  Regardless, it's action on the liver (in my mind) IS to help the body clear toxins faster, not mobilize them.  To be clear, I feel that they prevent things from being passed through the breastmillk.  I don't believe they're effective enough to actively detoxify someone using nettles as the safety net, but I don't at all worry that they create toxicity that requires attention.

There are many different ways to detoxify, and different mechanisms by which it can be done.  Some are invasive and create a push on the body that it may have a difficult time keeping up with.  Other support the body so that it's able and willing to release toxins.  I'm wondering what it is that your ND is concerned about? 

Again, I don't know your case and don't know what exactly she's reacting to.  She may have a very good reason that I am unaware of. 

#10 of 14 Old 11-30-2010, 05:09 PM

Hmm.  I'm an herbalist and drank nettle straight through all of my pregnancies and nursing years.  But I also drank it for years before (and continue too).  It is cleansing, but more so to the lymph and kidneys.  It flushes things out of the system, rather than pulling toxins out of tissue and into the bloodstream (yes, the trickle-down effect would cause this, but it wouldn't be overwhelming...more in a well-operating-system kind of way).  My opinion is that it's no more detoxing than spinach...and would you stop drinking green smoothies or eating salads while nursing?  If you're concerned, you could always switch to raspberry leaves (but I love my nettle!) 

: : :
ds1 3/05 ds2 5/07 dd 6/09
#11 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Well that is the thing- she even said slow down on thr green drinks.  But now I am at the point that I feel depleted. 

I am going to call ND first thing today...  I really think that she feels that nettles is extremely cleansing.  She compared it with burdock, and dandelion. 

#12 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 AM

FWIW I put green drinks (I'm assuming you mean greens that you've juiced) in a whole different category.  They can be dicey for some people.  I've just never seen that with nettles.   If she's working with energy medicine she is looking at things on a very subtle level-this is what I mean.  traditional herbalism says that nettles are fine (and beneficial) for breastfeeding and pregnancy.  Doctors working with energy medicine see herbs as being...less than gentle across the board because they're watching a whole different plane.  Herbs that are regarded as safe by herbalists are looked at differently in many energetic modalities.  I don't think it's an issue, but the thing is I can't see what she's seeing and if you're happy with her (sounds like you are) then your best bet is talking to her.  Good luck!

#13 of 14 Old 12-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

FWIW I put green drinks (I'm assuming you mean greens that you've juiced) in a whole different category.  They can be dicey for some people.  I've just never seen that with nettles.

I can't comment on most of the discussion, I can just add that I've seen, in myself, I react to juiced/blended greens very differently than to nettles.  Nettles just seem nourishing and good, my green smoothie adventure was short after I got a wicked headache.  Nettles don't seem to cause issues in the kids either, even when DD wants to drink a whole lot. 

#14 of 14 Old 12-02-2010, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. I am waiting to hear from my ND, and in the meantime, am brewing a jar of nettles for my 3 yr dd and dh.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page