''Growing Pains'' in a 6 year old...? What to do? - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > ''Growing Pains'' in a 6 year old...? What to do?
BusyMumof5 10:03 AM 12-04-2010

It's not every night he wakes up screaming - but it does happen once a week ish.

He is undiagnosed ASD, and has many other problems but I'm wondering if it's something like osteo-something.

He wakes up screaming and it's the FRONT of his legs (shins) that are painful.

It's not like a cramp as far as I can feel as it feels soft, so I'm wondering what he has and how I go about treating it?

xx

babygrant's Avatar babygrant 10:22 AM 12-04-2010

I spent 2 hours in the middle of the night last night trying to sooth my 5 year old.  He has the EXACT same problems with pains but it's usually only in his left leg which is odd.  On days where I can't massage it and make it feel better I end up giving him tylonol because I see how sore he is.  I've tried arnica gel, arnica pellets, rub a535, a warm wash cloth, an ice pack.  Nothing seems to help but the tylonol.

BusyMumof5 10:56 AM 12-04-2010

What is tylonol?

Is it available without prescription?

What causes these pains and how can we deal with it - what is it? xx

Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 11:00 AM 12-04-2010

cell salts!  This is the BEST thing in the world for growing pains, if that's what it is (and it sounds like it.)  Honestly.  I use calc phos and mag phos with excellent results.  good luck!

Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 11:02 AM 12-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrant View Post

I spent 2 hours in the middle of the night last night trying to sooth my 5 year old.  He has the EXACT same problems with pains but it's usually only in his left leg which is odd.  On days where I can't massage it and make it feel better I end up giving him tylonol because I see how sore he is.  I've tried arnica gel, arnica pellets, rub a535, a warm wash cloth, an ice pack.  Nothing seems to help but the tylonol.

arnica was a good thought, but if it's growing pains, it's not really muscular so it wouldn't have worked. I'm sorry! 

tanyalynn's Avatar tanyalynn 11:04 AM 12-04-2010

I've read of using supplemental magnesium for growing pains, but given the very cool things I've seen with cell salts, I'd do what the previous poster suggested, or both those and mag. 

DariusMom's Avatar DariusMom 12:18 PM 12-04-2010
tylenol is paracetomol.

DS had constant "growing pains". He was finally diagnosed as being hypermobile.
http://www.medicinenet.com/hypermobility_syndrome/article.htm

There's not much to be done but massage and wait for him to grow. We did PT for a while, but it didn't really help.
Panserbjorne's Avatar Panserbjorne 12:24 PM 12-04-2010

that's something you could consider alternating calc fluor (for hypermobility) and calc phos for.  There are no mainstream treatments, but there is natural support.

BusyMumof5 03:34 PM 12-04-2010

Sounds like I have a fair bit to locate and buy, thanks for all the advice - I hope they work for him xx

gigismom's Avatar gigismom 05:40 PM 12-04-2010

supplementing magnesium is what made my 6yo "growing pains" at night stop.  she would cry and cry in pain and does not have them unless we forget to supp the mag for awhile.  we use natural calm    

kjbrown92's Avatar kjbrown92 05:10 PM 12-05-2010

My DS's "growing pains" were actually a food intolerance symptom. Stopping dairy made them go away. So you might want to keep a food journal if it doesn't happen all the time. Just a thought.

BusyMumof5 06:09 PM 12-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post

My DS's "growing pains" were actually a food intolerance symptom. Stopping dairy made them go away. So you might want to keep a food journal if it doesn't happen all the time. Just a thought.

Hey - Brilliant idea!

I know he has IBS and already has some kind of food intolerance there.. so maybe I could try cutting things out one by one and seeing if that helps... 

Shall have to draft up a chart or something - THANK YOU so much! xx

Up