Stereotactic biopsy ~ what to expect? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Both my screening mammogram and the follow up diagnostic mammogram were abnormal, so I am scheduled for a stereotactic biopsy on Thursday morning.  Anyone here ever had one?  The doctor said I'd be laying on a table, with my breast through a hole and placed in a mammogram machine.  I will also have to lay perfectly still for 30 minutes while they do the biopsy.  Im pretty stressed about the idea of needing a biopsy in the first place, but I'm also stressed about the procedure itself.

Can anyone tell me what to expect?

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#2 of 9 Old 12-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Mmmm... I had one last year, and tho I did not find it hugely uncomfortable, would never do it again. I did not like being pinned to a table with a needle in my breast. I felt like an animal in a trap. I do not recommend it for people who might be sensitive to being trapped that way- I almost panicked. For myself, I would do a regular biopsy under general. Again tho, not physically bad. Maybe if I'd been given some sedation it would have gone better for me...

Good luck, I hope your biopsy goes well and all is okay. I'm sorry you're going through this.

#3 of 9 Old 12-08-2010, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for telling me about your experience, BB.  I hope yours came back fine.  I think my main worry stems from the fact that I'm really small chested (like an A cup is a little roomy...).  I've had lots of MRIs, so laying still shouldn't be an issue.  Thanks again.

#4 of 9 Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 AM

I too was very small breasted, not even an A!  I was able to have a needle biopsy with just a local.  Is than an option or is there no palpable lump?  Good luck!

momma to 4!
#5 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 06:28 PM

Hey Jaygee, I am rarely here these days but was looking for the thyroid thread and noticed yours.  Being through my own biopsy drama these days I would ask them if they can give you some versed (that stuff that makes you a little loopy but wears off quickly.  Also, they swore up and down that my biopsy would be fine and I could drive myself home....really wished my husband was there because I was more sore than I thought I would be.

hang in and i will pray it goes super smoothly for you!  hope that's okay, take care and peace,

MB

#6 of 9 Old 12-11-2010, 06:38 PM

How did it go, Kristina? Hope you're feeling well.  hug2.gif

Waiting for the results sucks, so take care of yourself.

#7 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all!  The biopsy went fine.  Like you said, BB, the feeling of being smashed in the mammogram machine, with the probe in was kind of unsettling, and my neck hurt from laying on my stomach for that long, but overall it was okay.  The doctor is seriously wonderful and seemed to think a non-cancerous condition is the cause of my microcalcifications (sclerosing adenosis), but wanted to make absolutely sure it wasn't DCIS.

mamabeth ~ thank you so much.  Have you gotten your results back yet?  Praying for you too.

My doctor will call me Tuesday morning with the pathology report.  Thank you all.

#8 of 9 Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 AM

Thanks K.  Preliminary was that mine was benign (they do a frozen section during surgery, ew) and I get the final path report back on Monday.  DH is already relieved but I am still holding my breath til Mon, ya know?  I know it will seem long til Tues but hoping it is all good.  Take care,

MB

#9 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update ~ the pathology report showed benign sclerosing adenosis!  I'm so relieved.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page