How do you treat a bad cold? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm realizing I need to develop a 'system' for treating bad colds.  In the past I've been able to depend on my super-strong immune system to knock out bugs, but as I've gotten older  my colds seems to be more severe and last longer in duration.  

Basically I do I a lot of emergenCs, cut and wheat and dairy and rest.  Now I'm looking for herbs and homeopathics to treat the sore throat/hacking cough and mucus production.

I also need recomendations that ar safe for my 2 year old to do.  He currently has a hacking cough that is holding on, he's been sick for over a week now.

Thanks!

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For us, a few of the things that have helped (some are longer-term than others):

-getting our vitamin D to a better level---some people use high doses as treatment for illnesses, I haven't tried it but it's something to consider (high doses being, say, 50,000 IU which is about 2 days' worth of summertime/swimsuit sun exposure)

-vitamin C -- I use sodium ascorbate, it's cheaper for the doses the kids and I need when we're sick--tends to be at least 15-20 grams/day for me, and sometimes that high for my kids but they're atypical, most kids would be lower

-if you see good results cutting wheat and dairy when you're sick, much as it's a pain, have you considered cutting them for several months?  quite a few people in the Allergies forum found that they got sick less often by cutting foods they're intolerant of (didn't help us, but I think it would've made other things less effective if we hadn't done it, and it had other worthwhile benefits)

-zinc, you can supplement zinc at fairly high dosages for a few days/a week at a time

-during an illness, cell salts have really helped this year, ferr phos seems to be the usual one at the start of an illness, and I think it's significantly reduced the severity of a couple illnesses this year, but there's a long thread on Cell Salts and there's a little $4 booklet mentioned that's super helpful

I haven't tried them yet, but a friend and I made up a batch of elderberry syrup a week ago, and a batch of master tonic.  I think the idea of master tonic is that it's so scary to consume that you are frightened into good health.  lol.gif

Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

For us, a few of the things that have helped (some are longer-term than others):

-getting our vitamin D to a better level---some people use high doses as treatment for illnesses, I haven't tried it but it's something to consider (high doses being, say, 50,000 IU which is about 2 days' worth of summertime/swimsuit sun exposure)

-vitamin C -- I use sodium ascorbate, it's cheaper for the doses the kids and I need when we're sick--tends to be at least 15-20 grams/day for me, and sometimes that high for my kids but they're atypical, most kids would be lower

-if you see good results cutting wheat and dairy when you're sick, much as it's a pain, have you considered cutting them for several months?  quite a few people in the Allergies forum found that they got sick less often by cutting foods they're intolerant of (didn't help us, but I think it would've made other things less effective if we hadn't done it, and it had other worthwhile benefits)

-zinc, you can supplement zinc at fairly high dosages for a few days/a week at a time

-during an illness, cell salts have really helped this year, ferr phos seems to be the usual one at the start of an illness, and I think it's significantly reduced the severity of a couple illnesses this year, but there's a long thread on Cell Salts and there's a little $4 booklet mentioned that's super helpful

I haven't tried them yet, but a friend and I made up a batch of elderberry syrup a week ago, and a batch of master tonic.  I think the idea of master tonic is that it's so scary to consume that you are frightened into good health.  lol.gif

I'm just going to pay to have a smilie made that says "I agree with Tanya."  This.  Nutrition/supplements which are primarily A, D, glutathione, C and sometimes zinc.  Cell salts always (perfectly safe for kids.  And homeopathy-when needed.  Usually that's not much if I've started with the cell salts.

I also have a few other home remedies that I'll pull out when necessary-but really that's kinda rare.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 PM

Two of my main ways of dealing with cold season are; 

I always have some elderberry syrup on hand.  It is best to take it as a preventative and so at the first sign of a cold (or when a my dd's friends are starting to get a cold) I give my dd some.  I make it myself and give a couple of tablespoons once or twice a day.  Also, if we get by without coming down with a cold I might keep the routine up for a week or so.  I have also read that you can eat a teaspoon of fresh elderberries every day through cold season... but I can't get fresh elderberries.

I also make a tonic broth.  I use homemade chicken stock and add lots of onion, garlic & greens.  I boil all of this until the veggies are very done and strain all the veggies out.  The remaining broth is really a wonderful tonic, drank warm several times a day or continuously really.  I use lots of garlic.

not all who wander are lost
Old 12-10-2010, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

I'm just going to pay to have a smilie made that says "I agree with Tanya."  This.  Nutrition/supplements which are primarily A, D, glutathione, C and sometimes zinc.  Cell salts always (perfectly safe for kids.  And homeopathy-when needed.  Usually that's not much if I've started with the cell salts.

ROTFLMAO.gif  Still laughing over that, you know with this handy Search feature (not sure I'm thrilled with the new Search function yet), I've totally stalked old posts by you and a few other regulars.  Some days I think every answer to everything is somewhere here at MDC, I just have to keep searching.

Ravenlunatic--I forgot to quote, but I was glad to hear how you use elderberry, like I said above, this is my first year making a syrup of it and it was nice to hear a) that it works for someone and b) how you use it.  And I appreciate the broth idea--I need to do something to keep my mom healthy when she comes to visit, last time she was horribly ill visiting our house of little-kid-sickness (the kids and I bounced back, she didn't... I felt so bad). 

Old 12-10-2010, 09:41 AM

We rely heavily on bone broths, during a cold.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif

User Tag List