My daddy has diabetes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-12-2002, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dad found out last week that he has type II diabetes. I have been looking around for discussion groups and supply places. I wondered if any of you wise folks knew what med supply places are inexpensive but reliable and what are good discussion groups. We have some good cookbooks. I am also looking for education materials for him.
Dad is 58 and also has asthma among some other health conditions. I of course have always worried about him, and this is the first time he is actually doing anything proactive about his health. So I need to know what has worked for others, hints tips and advice. TIA
#2 of 7 Old 05-12-2002, 01:08 PM

My dh has type 1 diabetes. Different in some ways but the support groups are pretty much the same. The American Diabetes Association has a good web site with lots of information on diabetes and support groups. You can find them at www.diabetes.org. As far as medical supply places go, we use a place called minimed and Wright and Philipus. They might be local, though, I'm not sure.

Good luck and your dad is lucky to have you!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#3 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 03:08 PM

My dh has type I too. We subscribe to a magazine called Diabetes Well. lots of good info. Ekblad, do you know of a support group for partners of people with type I. my dh has had complications and I've often wanted to talk with someone who experiences the same challenges of living with someone with type I. thanks
#4 of 7 Old 05-13-2002, 03:10 PM

I also have type I diabetes. In my opinion this is a totally different disease than type II (different underlying cause, disease process and implications, some different symptoms, different treatment, typical time of onset, and even long-term impact). But I agree that lots of support can be found on the ADA website. Go there right away! Also, I usually just get my supplies through the Pharmacy (and the Minimed company, as that is where my insulin pump is from), but I think One Touch is pretty well-known and has a good reputation in terms of offering supplies. I do use them for my blood glucose meters.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#5 of 7 Old 05-14-2002, 01:30 PM

I made a mistake. the name of the diabetic magazine is Diabetes Interview, not Diabetes Well.
#6 of 7 Old 05-16-2002, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

I have not been able to get on the computer regularly lately and it was so nice to see so many replies.
I am so proud of dad. He has been following dr's orders, testing his blood sugar every morning and eating carefully. I think it is because he feels such a difference. He said he feels better than he has in months. He has also discovered that 2 of his co-workers also have TypeII. I have never seen him take such good care of himself. I really hope it lasts. I will check out those sites and send them along to him as well.
Good thing he likes fruits and veggies so much!

Thanks again
~RasJane
#7 of 7 Old 05-16-2002, 10:31 AM

I PMed you, Jaybird. Just wondered if you got it!

Amy

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page