Talk to me about gallbladder remedies while BFing - Mothering Forums
Women's Health > Talk to me about gallbladder remedies while BFing
Sfcmama's Avatar Sfcmama 10:55 AM 12-13-2010
Let me start by saying that I am a natural-minded person who believe our organs serve a purpose and shouldn't be hastily removed. That being said, I want my gallbladder out - NOW. My attacks started shortly after DD was born and have continued periodically without any clear triggers. Acupuncture has (maybe?) been helpful but we can't really afford for me to go as regularly as needed (still going 1-2x/month for other issues). I'm interested in doing a flush or an herbal treatment but it doesn't look like anything is safe while bfing. DD is still nursing for 95% of her nutrition... (and 50% of her comfort ;0)
Anyways, does anyone have any advice? In the weeks that pass symptom-free, I want to wait until we are done bfing and them try alternatives to surgery but in the days that follow an attack (yes, like today), I just want to get the darn thing out while be have health insurance and before I get pregnant again. The lack of sleep and needing to take painkillers to survive an attack are really taking a toll!
TIA!
_/|\_

newcastlemama's Avatar newcastlemama 08:34 PM 12-13-2010

Things that help me:

kombucha helps the most by far

dandelion root tea or dandeloin tincture

water with some raw acv and raw honey

Betanine HCL supplements or digestive enzymes with that as an ingredient with food

I have been using all these while pregnant or BFing. My discomfort in very mild and I don't think I even have it if I am regularly drinking kombucha. Regular excercise is supposed to be beneficial as well. Hope that helps!

Sfcmama's Avatar Sfcmama 09:24 PM 12-13-2010
Thanks for sharing that! How much dandelion root do you take? How often with the acv?

It's interesting that you say kombucha bc I used to drink lots the first 3 month pp as we were fighting thrush and then I stopped drinking it once the thrush was gone... Which is when the gb attacks started!!! Hmm... I wonder...

Will try those ideas asap!
Thanks again!
bluets's Avatar bluets 10:25 PM 12-13-2010

My dh used a combination of diet (gluten elimination) and enzymes (specifically, lipase) and has completely reversed his gallbladder dysfunction.  It took almost 2 years of enzyme therapy but he no longer needs them on a regular basis.

Sfcmama's Avatar Sfcmama 10:13 AM 12-15-2010
Bluets-
Thats great for your dh! I hadn't heard the gluten-free method for gallstones yet... Interesting.
I laughed when I read about lipase bc I have too much in my breastmilk and have to scald everything I pump. I don't know anything about enzymes but wonder if the two imbalances could be related?!
Also, if my gallstones appeared to be pregnancy related, I wonder if the same treatments would work for a man...?
Anywho, thanks for the info! I'm ready to try anything these days.
newcastlemama's Avatar newcastlemama 01:28 PM 12-23-2010

I do about a half tincture dropper 3x a day with meals. (there should be instructions on the bottle too).

I do the acv plus honey is I have no kombucha and my gallbaldder feels weird.

Sfcmama's Avatar Sfcmama 11:35 PM 12-23-2010

Thanks, newcastlemama! I've already started kombucha and body CRAVES each morning when I wake up. Will try layering in more treatments as I go.
Koalamom's Avatar Koalamom 05:44 AM 12-24-2010

I had attacks while pregnant and agter having my dd.  I saw a great naturopath and am attack free for 3 yrs now!  I did cut dairy out and also gluten eventually.  I can have fatty fatty food and am fine now.  I didn't do any flushes, but used some standard process products.  I am not that crazy about them now, but they stopped my attacks.  I only had to take them for a few months.  One was a probiotic enzyme blend and that did the most help.

TrishWSU's Avatar TrishWSU 01:04 AM 12-26-2010

I found this website (posted in another thread somewhere on MDC) that says eating beans approx every 2 hours will dissolve gallstones in 6 weeks. I haven't been able to try it yet, but it doesn't seem like it would be harmful while breastfeeding like a flush could be.

I've also found that eliminating dairy has greatly reduced the gall bladder pains that I've gotten since pregnant with my 2nd child (I've never had a full blown attack, just pain and pressure in that area-u/s showed "sludge and sand like particles.")

APBTlover's Avatar APBTlover 02:18 PM 12-26-2010

I totally need this thread, as well. Thanks! I am taking milk thistle tincture currently, and just watching out to avoid large meals, especially at night (which seems to be my particular trigger). I want to do "more" but I certainly can't do any cleanses or flushes while BFing (and I tend to believe those that say the "stones" passed during the flushes are not really gallstones, anyway). 

bluets's Avatar bluets 03:18 PM 12-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by APBTlover View Post

I totally need this thread, as well. Thanks! I am taking milk thistle tincture currently, and just watching out to avoid large meals, especially at night (which seems to be my particular trigger). I want to do "more" but I certainly can't do any cleanses or flushes while BFing (and I tend to believe those that say the "stones" passed during the flushes are not really gallstones, anyway). 

you can coax your gallbladder to expel some bile easily enough by poking around in your mid-ribs on the right side of your rib cage.  beneath the 6th rib is a gallbladder point that would cause gurgling to happen if you're nicely relaxed and gently prod in the right spot.  

body structure problems can also impact visceral organ functioning.  i personally would take a multi-modality approach and use bodywork along with diet changes, herbs/supplements and perhaps an appropriate homeopathic remedy.

Sfcmama's Avatar Sfcmama 05:03 PM 12-26-2010

Great advice, thanks!

What about accupuncture? Anyone have any luck/knowledge about that? I don't know if we have the money for me to go regularly enough and wonder if I can just work on diet/lifestyle, etc. on my own...?
BellinghamCrunchie's Avatar BellinghamCrunchie 06:21 PM 12-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcmama View Post

Great advice, thanks!

What about accupuncture? Anyone have any luck/knowledge about that? I don't know if we have the money for me to go regularly enough and wonder if I can just work on diet/lifestyle, etc. on my own...?

Do you have someone who can show you the basic points? If you google gallbladder and acupuncture, you will find some studies; basically the points they use are pretty much the same (stomach 36 and the one midpoint between the sternum and belly button are really common). I did acupuncture for gallbladder issues and it helped to control the symptoms a lot (although I did end up having surgery). I asked my acupuncturist which points I could do at home, and she even gave me needles to take home. They are simple points, not too deep.

Apples and beets are supposed to be very good for the gallbladder, and you have to eat lowfat. I would avoid dairy, all grains, and meat except skinless chicken breast.

Up