pinworm question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-17-2010, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DS recently got pinworms from school. We ended up doing two rounds of PinX, an over the counter pinworm medication. His last dose was about 10 days ago. We did it twice, 10 days apart, and the entire family did it. He still has pinworms in his bm's. Should I assume the medication didn't work? How long before you no longer see them in bm's? So frustrating... 

#2 of 5 Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 PM

You're seeing pinworms in the bm? It's really rare to see them in stool. They usually diagnose with a tape test (to trap the eggs). I'm wondering what you're seeing? Did a test confirm they were pinworms? It could be something benign or a different type of parasite. If you tell me what it looks like I'll try to help if you need that. My son is the king of parasites so I think I've learned a lot.

On the pinworms, they can live on bedding (well the eggs hatch and then become worms) up to two weeks. So you'd want another treatment past that point. We washed sheets at each treatment point as well. I can't remember exactly but my initial though in reading your OP was 10 days was too soon if I recall what we did. But, again, I don't think you'd be seeing pinworms in the stool so I'm wondering what you have.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 5 Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post

I don't think you'd be seeing pinworms in the stool so I'm wondering what you have.

What about dead pinworms? You can see them in the stool right?

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#4 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM

you can definitely see them in the stool-not in every case, but it's not uncommon.  They appear like small threads.  The tape test can certainly be done, but seeing the worms is just as valid diagnostically.

#5 of 5 Old 12-21-2010, 08:18 PM

thank you :)

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page