homeopathy and toddlers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there's a homeopathy thread but I can't dredge through the whole thing at the moment. My question is what are the remedies to have on hand for this age? For example yesterday DD was running on the tile fell and hit her mouth very hard. There was blood every where and she still has a big fat lip this morning. She cried and cried last night and I felt like i had nothing on hand to help her. :(    What have you found most helpful for the toddler years? 

#2 of 21 Old 01-02-2011, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping :)

#3 of 21 Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 AM

a basic kit would be ideal.  if you're doing single remedies I'd say:

pulsatilla

chamomilla

belladonna

aconite

arnica

arsenicum

hypericum

ledum

carbo veg

sulphur

apis

bryonia

calendula

phosphorous

drosera

cantharis

that's off the top of my head.  I reserve the right to alter this list later.  LOL.

#4 of 21 Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

LOl thank you!  so in the event like I posted about my DD hurting her lip and being really upset. What would be the best to give? I really need a book that can tell me what to use for bumps, bruises and illness!

#5 of 21 Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 AM

arnica.  easy peasy.  Maybe some rescue remedy too (not homeopathic, but great for those types of things.)

Yes, a good book is essential.

#6 of 21 Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

a basic kit would be ideal.  if you're doing single remedies I'd say:

pulsatilla

chamomilla

belladonna

aconite

arnica

arsenicum

hypericum

ledum

carbo veg

sulphur

apis

bryonia

calendula

phosphorous

drosera

cantharis

that's off the top of my head.  I reserve the right to alter this list later. 

calc carb?

Joanna WAHM to DS 10/2007
You must be the change you wish to see - Ghandi
#7 of 21 Old 01-03-2011, 01:27 PM

I have to keep it simple and just use premade remedies. Bumps and Bruises, Bronchial Cough, Cold/Flu and of course Rescue Remedy and Rescue Sleep.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
#8 of 21 Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM

I was in a rush earlier...

Is calc carb a good teething remedy? I know chamomila is very often recommended but not every child fits this picture, I remember reading somewhere that calc carb is also good for teething. Is that right? 

When I see my friend's 7 mo twins I instantly think of chamomila and calc carb and this is what I've recommended for teething, I hope I'm right.

#9 of 21 Old 01-03-2011, 03:58 PM

calc carb can be a teething remedy.  it's a HUGE polycrest and has just about everything in it.  Nat mur and calc carb are the two biggest remedies we know.

I tend to use salts for teething more than anything, but the biggies in just about any book are belladonna, chamomilla and pulsatilla. 

I generally just do ferrum phos, mag phos, kali phos or calc phos as indicated.  See the fun trend?  Most people can just get the biochemic phosphates and be fine!

#10 of 21 Old 01-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:

I tend to use salts for teething more than anything, but the biggies in just about any book are belladonna, chamomilla and pulsatilla. 

My homeopath says to always think ABCP with small children first( aconite, belladona, chamomila, pulsatila ) and this is what I was mostly giving DS with success.  He is getting bigger and I'm more adventurous so I'm using a bigger range of remedies now. The ABCP still comes in handy though, the last time DS had stomach flu I gave him chamomila which helped him rest and then I gave him belladona and he was perfectly fine the next day. 

#11 of 21 Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 PM

yes, aconite is first step *IF* symptoms come on suddenly.  Then BCP serves you well.

#12 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 04:59 AM

Calc carb helped my son well the other day.  He is getting alot of new teeth and crying alot about it.  I was giving him chamomilla but that was only like a bandaid.  I felt I should give his calc carb and he calmed right down.

PB's list is great.  Not much more to add.  I always keep arnica 200c in my purse and have the basics stocked at home.  I don't always grab for them as I use herbs too.  Like I don't have apis in my purse- if my kid gets stung by a bee, I usually grab plaintain instead.  If apis is still needed when we get home, I give it then. 

#13 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

So do I just use 30c? I guess I get really confused with all the different numbers 30c, 200c etc.  I'm guessing dosing is usually every for hours?

bluebidrmama-why do you use arnica 200c instead of 30c? Does the higher dose make a difference when they're in a lot of pain?  I too love to use herbs and I'm way ore familiar what to use If DD gets sick but homeopathy is so new to me. 

Is there a book anyone can recommend? I was looking at this book http://www.drfeder.com/index.php?page=shop&action=viewProduct&itemID=119

#14 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM

if you aren't familiar with homeopathy I'd just start with 6C or 30C.  I wouldn't mess around with 200C unless it's simply arnica.  Once you are more comfortable then you can start playing with higher potencies.

Dosing depends on the situation-it's definitely going to help to read some things to understand what you're doing and why.

I like Vinton McCabe's Practical Homeopathy and Everybody's Guide to Homeopathic Medicine by Ullman and Cummings for starters.

#15 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 10:02 AM

PB - printing out your list right now and going to get one of those books.

THANKS!!

#16 of 21 Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

thank you :) PB

#17 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:

if you aren't familiar with homeopathy I'd just start with 6C or 30C.  I wouldn't mess around with 200C unless it's simply arnica.  Once you are more comfortable then you can start playing with higher potencies.

Sorry to make confusion.  Thanks PB for clarifying.

And I think you cant get any high potecy remedys in a health food store except arnica.

#18 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post

Calc carb helped my son well the other day.  He is getting alot of new teeth and crying alot about it.  I was giving him chamomilla but that was only like a bandaid.  I felt I should give his calc carb and he calmed right down.

Honestly most kids who are having issues with teething would benefit from a calcium based remedy!  It was a very good call on your part (especially since aconite, belladonna and pulsatilla are recognized acutes of a more chronic calc. carb (and silica, actually.)  When those acute remedies are helping with comfort it's really time to look at the foundation.  I had a fabulous teacher that said you can never go wrong by starting off babies on all 3 calc cell salts.  I have found this to be true.  They are the "earth" salt in esoteric thought and literally do create the basic foundations-the building blocks-of the body.

That's another reason I tend to just use salts for babies!  They help in acutes, but where remedies can help in the midst of discomfort-and they sure do-as bluebird saw-a "teething" remedy will relieve some pain, a deeper remedy will likely ensure that this bit of teething goes smoothly and a salt will actually help shift the physiology and potentially make it where a remedy is unnecessary.  Or, if it's necessary a single dose could shift the whole picture.

That's my two cents, anyway!  

#19 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 AM

The 3 calcs.  I only know of 2?  Off to look that up...

Oh so the one I know nothing about is calc sulph.  I know this isnt the cell salt thread, but when would that be given as I never hear about it?

#20 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Honestly most kids who are having issues with teething would benefit from a calcium based remedy!  It was a very good call on your part (especially since aconite, belladonna and pulsatilla are recognized acutes of a more chronic calc. carb (and silica, actually.)  When those acute remedies are helping with comfort it's really time to look at the foundation.  I had a fabulous teacher that said you can never go wrong by starting off babies on all 3 calc cell salts.  I have found this to be true.  They are the "earth" salt in esoteric thought and literally do create the basic foundations-the building blocks-of the body.

That's another reason I tend to just use salts for babies!  They help in acutes, but where remedies can help in the midst of discomfort-and they sure do-as bluebird saw-a "teething" remedy will relieve some pain, a deeper remedy will likely ensure that this bit of teething goes smoothly and a salt will actually help shift the physiology and potentially make it where a remedy is unnecessary.  Or, if it's necessary a single dose could shift the whole picture.

So you would use the 3 calc cell salts at times of need or just on a daily basis with a baby?

#21 of 21 Old 01-05-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post

Quote:

Quote:

So you would use the 3 calc cell salts at times of need or just on a daily basis with a baby?

I tend to say use calc phos at least for a babe routinely.  I don't generally see kids that don't have any indications.  The others you could...and some do.  I don't feel that it's overly necessary to do so.

Tags
Homeopathics

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page