Hypospadias Repair - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-31-2010, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know there's been talk about hypospadias on this site before, but would appreciate hearing others thoughts on their personal experience with dealing with hyposadias as our ds is scheduled to have his mild glanular hypospadias repaired late January.  Our story is as follows:  DS was circumcised as an infant and was not diagnosed with hypospadias until after 1 yr. We (including our pediatrician) all noticed that the opening was pretty large at around that time.  We took him to see the pediatrician referred pediatric urologist.  She diagnosed him with mild glanular hypospadias, aboust 1 mm away from the original opening and advised to do nothing with it but look for a large stream when we start to potty train him.  If he has trouble peeing standing up, then we could go back to her and discuss options.  Since that original diagnosis I've been researching hyspoadias like crazy!  I've seen a lot of pps over the past few months, blamed myself for possibly exposing myself to pesticide which could have caused it, and read a lot of not-so-good stories about the results of the repair surgery.  We then visited Dr. Dix Poppas at NY-Presbyterian (for those in the NYC area).  He took one look at it and said that he did not think that the hypospadias was congenital.  He explained that it looks like it occurred as a result of the circumcision, but at this point there's no way to prove that it was not congenital.  He stated that he could do the surgery and ds would never know that he even had hypospadias, that if we're leaning towards the surgery then we should do it sooner than later as the risk of complications increases after a certain age and waiting until he is getting potty trained would not be the best option.  He explained that there is a 6 percent risk of complications, which includes the development of fistulas, etc.  My question,for anyone who has been or is going through this, whether you could share with us your experience.  For some reason, despite the Dr's assurance that this is a common procedure that he has performed often with a 6 percent risk of complications and high success rate, my internet searches pull up more not-so-good stories about hypospadias repair than success stories.  I understand that there is no right answer, but hearing from others would be much appreciated.  Feel free to PM me. 

Happy New Year everyone! 

#2 of 4 Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Hello,

I don't know if you'll see this reply now, but I'm curious how the surgery went. Did you use Dr Poppas?

My son has mild hypospadias, along with some chordee (penis slightly bent down) and we are scheduled for an operation with Dr Poppas.

Thanks,

Steve

#3 of 4 Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Not sure many on here are replying having gone through the experience of this surgery(s).  I did when i was young, 3, and then 2 follow up surgeries by the time i was 4.  I am more then happy to share my experiences with any parents or others that have gone through this.

Unlike some i have read on other sites, i am happy my parents had me go throguh corrective surgeries, i just wish that it was all done before i was able to form memories, as the memories of the pre and post surgeries are what linger with me the most.

PS my surgeries were all done with the use of a cath, and its removal is one of the memories i wish i could forget.

#4 of 4 Old 11-12-2013, 12:10 PM

Hi, we are looking in to Dr's for my son's hypospadia and chordee in CT, NY area and  wanted to to hear experience with Dr.  Poppas.  and any other insight on the surgery in gerneral and  other Dr.s   is appreciated, thank you!

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page