Any guesses as to what DS has? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-01-2011, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We thought it was gastroenteritis because it's goign around, and it does seem to be lactose related. Ds started puking Sunday night. By tuesday he was pretty sick. I got sick tues night, diahrea and puking, but it was over quickly. Now it's saturday and DS is still puking. But he really hasn't pooped this entire week, I don't think!

Another thing is that, with gastroenteritis he should be able to breastfeed, I guess the lactose is different? I bf'ed him and  he puked again...

He seems to puke out of nowhere. He's playing happily and then he'll barf. Or often while he's sleeping.

He isn't eating much and I'm sure he's lost weight.

I know I should probably just take him to the doc but ugh. I hate docs. Definitely a last resort for me. And I dunno what's open today.

Any clues? Help!

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#2 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 PM

Is this a baby? What age?

Kimberly DH of 8 years DS 08/2002 DS 04/2005 DD 11/2007
Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#3 of 10 Old 01-02-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

He just turned 2. Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

I ended up calling Health Links and they didn't tell me what it was, but they told me to get him a supository so he could poop, and to put him on a liquid diet, mostly water but also juice and maybe soup broth, but pace it very slowly. ANd that's been helping. He didnt puke all last night or today!

She mentioned something about a virus, but no specific one. And that maybe his constipation was backing up his entire digestive system somewhat. But who knows. I guess now that we have a treatment it doesn't matter too much what it really was. But if anyone has theories still I wouldn't mind hearing.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
#4 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Throwing up can be many things....I'd start with some digestive enzymes. I'm glad to hear that he is doing better :)

Holistic consultations, supplements, herbs, flower essences www.IllinoisNaturopathy.com
#5 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. :)

Do you mean supplements?

#6 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 04:14 PM

Yes, digestive enzymes usually come in capsule or chewables. A good brand is by homefirst, a product called betten-aid. It contains probiotics and enzymes. The enzymes will help to insure that he is properly digesting his food.

#7 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Ok Thanks. :) I'll look into that.

#8 of 10 Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM

You mentioned breast feeding and lactose--if you are still eating dairy, than he will get the lactose through your milk. So, if you think it is a lactose issue you would want to cut it out of your diet as well. Hope he continues to feel better.

#9 of 10 Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks hun. But the Health Links nurse pretty much laughed at me when I mentioned the gastroenteritis causing temporary lactose issues. Which is funny becuase it's exactly what my friend's doc told her.

But yeah he's drinking milk fine again. We just had to moderate the amounts for a while.

#10 of 10 Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturopath Mom View Post

Yes, digestive enzymes usually come in capsule or chewables. A good brand is by homefirst, a product called betten-aid. It contains probiotics and enzymes. The enzymes will help to insure that he is properly digesting his food.

Oh I just read that kefir has enzymes! (I already knew it had probiotics but yay enzymes too!) We just recently started making this so I think taht'll help a lot! DS didn't like it the first time but LOVED it the second time. So I'll make sure to give him some regularly.

Tags
Health Healing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page