recurring fevers with no other symptoms - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-03-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Since September 2010 by 3 year old has been getting monthly fevers of 102-103 with no other symptoms.  It lasts about 3-4 days and then he's "back to normal."  For the past 5 months now we have gone to the doctor each time with no answer.  Help- is there anything else I should be asking or doing to help him.

He's miserable during this time- so far at the docotr's office we have had a urine test, CBC work, strep test and everything is coming back normal.  Now what?

#2 of 7 Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 AM

Some of my DD's friends (twins) had fevers every month when they were little. I think they saw an infectious diseases doctor who decided they had cyclic fever syndrome (or something close to that, periodic fever syndrome??) I believe they stopped around the time the girls were in 1st grade. They are in 7th now so I can't really remember details.

#3 of 7 Old 01-04-2011, 02:39 PM

DD1 has been going through this, too.... and for awhile the drs. thought she had leukemia (scary!) but she didn't.  She has had a major growth spurt for the past year (put on almost 10 lbs and has grown several inches) so we think that has played into it.

Good luck!

~maddymama

#4 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

So, we have taken him again.  Twice this week now and the new recommendation or "answer" is to be referred to a rhuematologist.  The Dr. thinks it may be PFAPA. What's this?!?!  Well, the appointment is made and we'll know more next week.  Keep smiling right!

#5 of 7 Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 PM

My baby girl, who will be 6 in June, has had PFAPA since she was about 2 yrs old.  It is scary and frustrating when your child is having an "episode" before you know what's going on.  It took us nearly 4 years to get her diagnosed...when finally our dr referred us to an ID dr at a children's hospital.  My daughter's fevers will still spike to 105 before she will act like anything is going on...that's when she will tell me "mommy, my pfapa is acting up".  I have not yet tried the prednisone treatment, because she is in kindergarten, and there are always so many illnesses being handed around.  I'm looking for a more natural treatment. So if anyone has any, please let me know.  Thank you in advance for any information. 

#6 of 7 Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 PM

I stumbled onto this forum site and subscribed right away...My son is 4 and for a few months now he gets a recurring fever as well, a couple times it has gotten as high as 103.7  His fevers come about every 4-6 weeks and lasts for a couple days at most.  No other complaints, evergy levels and appetite are good.  Doc says this is normal if not accompanied by other symptoms...I disagree.

#7 of 7 Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 AM

Has anybody heard about the Buteyko breathing method? I was sent this link about http://learnbuteyko.com/buteyko-for-kids/ also check out the introduction video any comments or suggestions would be appreciated - many thanks Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page