A good variation of neti pot or nasal irrigation for child under 3? And more stuffy nose questions. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-13-2011, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just got back from the dr and she confirmed that ds has a sinus infection secondary to catching the flu. She prescribed amoxicillin but I'm going to try the natural stuff first (colloidal silver, oil of oregano, garlic tablets) but also sitting with him in a very steamy bathroom. Steam sounds like just the ticket as an addition to the oral remedies but ds will not sit in the bathroom. I know a lot of adults and older kids have good results using some kinds of apparatus for nasal irrigation such as the net pot or syringe but I'm pretty sure ds will fight so hard if we even tried to get him onto position to do this that it would be pointless to try and squeeze liquid up his nose. Currently I'm just flushing what discharge there is in his nostrils with saline while he's sitting upright and then sucking out the excess with my nasal aspirator, but this isn't getting that junk that's sitting in his sinuses and stagnating to move along and the more the infection progresses the less he's willing to blow his nose.
Any and all ideas for moving the most mucous out in tiny children appreciated!
#2 of 2 Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't have a baby yet, so I can't speak from experience, but my SIL swears by this contraption: http://www.nosefrida.com/ I think she drips saline nose drops into the baby's nose and then uses the Nose Frida. Hope your LO feels better soon.  

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page