Can someone explain the benefits of using natural antibiotics such as colloidal silver, oil of oregano, etc? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought the above products instead of amoxicillin for my 3 y.o. to treat his sinus infection b/c I knew the amoxicillin and other prescription antibiotics kill off the beneficial gut bacteria as well and restoring it is not that easy. But now I'm reading on the Internet that both the silver and the oil of oregano are going to have the same effect on the gut flora, so then what would be the benefit of using them? Just to vary the pharmacology so that resistance doesn't build up?
And I'm guessing just popping probiotic supplements isn't enough no matter how good the probiotic b/c they just don't reach that far into the intestinal tract and that one should be eating a steady diet of probiotic foods to restore the flora?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Yes, any antibiotic whether natural or not will kill off the beneficial bacteria along with the bad. If you think about it there isn't any way a substance would know good from bad bacteria and be selective!

Actually, I disagree with the food vs. probiotic. But you do have to see which probiotics have been proven to survive digestion and get to the intestines. Two that have tons of research support showing they not only survive but can handle the most nasty bacterias are florastor (this one I'll mention later) and Culturelle. Both are great for during antibiotics and right after. Then a couple of weeks to a month after I add in a colonizing probiotic (I like Klaire labs but just make sure what you use has proven ability to survive and colonize).

The thing about the natural ones is that they will kill of yeasts and bacteria so they have a wider "swath" and you might find less yeast build up for that reason. They can encounter things that are resistant to them though just like regular antibiotics. Also, with regular antibiotics florastor (which is a beneficial yeast) isn't killed by the antibiotic. So it offers protection around the clock from bad bacteria or yeasts while on antibiotics. Regular probiotics (or probiotic foods unless they contain beneficial yeast and it survives the trip to the intestines) will be killed by each antibiotic dose along with the good bacteria already existing in your body. The antibiotics can't kill the florastor though. In the case of the natural antibiotics you mentioned they are also antifungal so they will kill off both probiotics and florastor and any probiotic food.

I've used them in my son as well as used regular antibiotics. They have their place for sure. I dose probiotics three hours after each dose. With regular antibiotics I do the same but I make sure the florastor is a key part.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 4 Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I'm alternating the Klare Labs Ther-Biotic capsules with the oil/silver. Is that a good supplement to be giving him while on antibiotics, whether natural or not? Also, if the amoxicillin had to be continued for 7 days (I suppose to kill of any stragglers), is that also the course of treatment w/these remedies. DS looked and felt better after the first dose!

#4 of 4 Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 PM

Yes, you'd continue them just as you would with antibiotics. People often look better quickly on antibiotics (natural or otherwise) but there are still some bugs remaining. You want to kill them all--not just he weakest ones!

Yes, that's a great probiotic choice. Just remember the natural are killing it with each dose so dose it at least three hours after each dose. I'd continue it for at least two weeks after you stop as well and then switch to something else.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page